KoAlana ukuleles to be available by fall

consitter

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Paul Okami of KoAloha Ukulele. He informed me that by end of summer the value line of KoAlana would be offered for sale again in limited numbers, building to full production by Christmas. He stated that it's been a long time coming, but they are finally getting the kinks worked out to start building them again.

So those of you wondering what happened to them, wonder no more, because they will soon be back on the market!

Scott

Oh, terrific, as if there weren't already enough ukes out there from which to choose.

Just kidding! LOL!

Can't wait 'til fall! My KoAlohas need a relative that I'm not afraid to remove from the case.....

Will there be some distinction--wood, styling, label, etc.--between the new KoAlanas the the oft-flawed and yanked from the market old KoAlanas? It'd sure be assistive to all who may purchase used if there was.

Interesting, indeed. I don't, honestly, know why KoAloha would want to frig with it. Sure, KoOlau has Pono, but they're still $800 ukuleles. And Kamaka, I don't think they play that game at all. So, hmmm.

It's like, Beverly Hills, CA could put in a mobile home trailer park if they wanted to, but why bother---it's Beverly Hills!

Last edited:
I can't rightly answer all your questions without further consultation, but I can say this: they are putting a huge amount of their personal time and effort overseas to make this come off right. So take it from there.

I know Alan's personal goal is to make quality ukes affordable to any and all that want them, so I would bet they won't cost an arm and a leg either. But we'll soon see

Will there be some distinction--wood, styling, label, etc.--between the new KoAlanas the the oft-flawed and yanked from the market old KoAlanas? It'd sure be assistive to all who may purchase used if there was.

Interesting, indeed. I don't, honestly, know why KoAloha would want to frig with it. Sure, KoOlau has Pono, but they're still $800 ukuleles. And Kamaka, I don't think they play that game at all. So, hmmm.

It's like, Beverly Hills, CA could put in a mobile home trailer park if they wanted to, but why bother---it's Beverly Hills!
Well look at the success Kanilea has had with the Islander line. In a short period of time they've become fairly highly regarded in the budget uke category. Which in turn has opened up Kanilea's demographic. Those that purchase a Islander and really like will most likely take a Kanilea model into strong consideration when looking to upgrade.

Besides, there can never be too many quality uke in the budget arena. If Koaloha wants to contribute to that, I'm all for it.

Good for them. Although the entry to mid-level market is pretty crowded, it seems to make good business sense. The Koaloha name already has good recognition and appeal and to offer instruments in the "family" at lower prices is compelling. And for those who really take to the hobby/obsession through KoAlana, the move to a "KoAloha for Life" kinda thing seems natural. I wish them luck and can't wait to see the new ukes.

In regards to Pono, I'd bet that Ko'olau makes a healthy chunk or even the majority of their revenue off of the Pono brand. Just seems that way based on the numbers indicated on this forum. I definitely see Ko'olau as one of the top Hawaiian brands and don't understand why so many don't view them as that when K-brands are mentioned. A custom Ko'olau is definitely on my lust list.

And coolkayaker has a good point, KoAloha needs to make sure they differentiate the new ukes from any of the previous issues.

As long as there is some of their mother brand's magic they will be a great deal!

I prefer the sound of koa, but mahogany is a popular tonewood that's not in the regular KoAloha lineup. Not sure if the website is up to date or accurate, but it seems that there will be mahogany KoAlana models. When I was looking for a mahogany uke, I always wished that KoAloha offered them. I'd love a mahogany KoAloha cousin to add to my collection.

I heard some news from factory KoAlana will have mahogany uke for standard model, and the price maybe around 300-320USD for soprano :D
my shop will have it very soonest.

They could at least have done something about the headstock design :anyone:

Good for them. Although the entry to mid-level market is pretty crowded, it seems to make good business sense. The Koaloha name already has good recognition and appeal and to offer instruments in the "family" at lower prices is compelling. And for those who really take to the hobby/obsession through KoAlana, the move to a "KoAloha for Life" kinda thing seems natural. I wish them luck and can't wait to see the new ukes.

In regards to Pono, I'd bet that Ko'olau makes a healthy chunk or even the majority of their revenue off of the Pono brand. Just seems that way based on the numbers indicated on this forum. I definitely see Ko'olau as one of the top Hawaiian brands and don't understand why so many don't view them as that when K-brands are mentioned. A custom Ko'olau is definitely on my lust list.

And coolkayaker has a good point, KoAloha needs to make sure they differentiate the new ukes from any of the previous issues.

I find the opinions of anyone who doesn't consider a Ko'olau a "K" uke highly suspicous!

If Koaloha wants to make a less expensive entry point model, I guess that’s up to them.

As for me, I’m sticking with the Big Four “K” brands: Kiwaya, Keli’i, Kamoa and Kala.

I find the opinions of anyone who doesn't consider a Ko'olau a "K" uke highly suspicous!

I played a good handful of ukes at Dusty Strings in Seattle a little while back, and a Ko'olau tenor they had was far and away my favorite, and I played 3-4 Kamakas as well.

I definitely consider them a K brand, their ukes are wonderful. I think it comes from them not being as readily available. A lot of uke shops carry the other three, even on the mainland. But it seems far less common to see a Ko'olau in stock.

As for the Ko'olana line, it seems strange to me how they look the same as the KoAloha logo and headstock. With Pono vs. Ko'olau and Kanile'a vs. Islander they are obviously different at first glance. But I understand the entry line aspect, and agree brand loyalty may lead people to upgrade to a KoAloha in the future. Sort of like getting a 1 series BMW may lead someone to get a 3,5 or 7 in the future.

Last edited:
I definitely consider them a K brand, their ukes are wonderful. I think it comes from them not being as readily available. A lot of uke shops carry the other three, even on the mainland. But it seems far less common to see a Ko'olau in stock.

As for the Ko'olana line, it seems strange to me how they look the same as the KoAloha logo and headstock. With Pono vs. Ko'olau and Kanile'a vs. Islander they are obviously different at first glance. But I understand the entry line aspect, and agree brand loyalty may lead people to upgrade to a KoAloha in the future. Sort of like getting a 1 series BMW may lead someone to get a 3,5 or 7 in the future.

True about the entry level, Staci. It could provide access to their brand.

I can see it also going the other way, though, too.. "Well, I already own a Koaloha. Not actually, it's a KoAlana, bt they're similar and made by the same company. But, with this next uke, I want something upgraded and completely different. Maybe a Kamaka."

I can see loads of people doing that (especially since the branded names Koalana and KoAloha are so close, they look the same, and the pricing of KoAloha at under $1000 makes them less expensive than K brand competitors already, right out of the box).

Last edited:
True about the entry level, Staci.

I can see it also going the other way, though, too.. "Well, I already own and Koaloha. Not actually, it's a KoAlana. But, with this next uke, I want something upgraded and completely different. Maybe a Kamaka."

I can see loads of people doing that (especially since the branded names Koalana and KoAloha are so close, and they look the same).

Yep, that totally makes sense too. Especially if you don't make a distinguishing characteristic. I think the KoAloha and KoAlana looking similar could be a disadvantage. With Pono (great as it is) or Islander you could aspire to Ko'olau or Kanile'a.

I would not worry too much, when it comes to branding and marketing strategy we can certainly trust Alan.

Yep, that totally makes sense too. Especially if you don't make a distinguishing characteristic. I think the KoAloha and KoAlana looking similar could be a disadvantage. With Pono (great as it is) or Islander you could aspire to Ko'olau or Kanile'a.

Top Bottom