Solid Koa uke care

drewp

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I did do a "search", but am hoping I can get all the information in one post. I recently came into a beautiful, solid koa Koaloha tenor. I am realizing that this uke is going to require more care than my Oscar Schmidt laminated concert. I saw on another post where someone mentioned "humidifiers, tang (?tung?) oil, and felt lined cases". Where I live, the humidity varies wildly from summer to winter (80-100% in humid summer days to <30% in the winter). I understand that I will need humidification for the winter. Should I use some kind of dessicant packs/etc. in the summer? The uke came with a felt lined "uke crazy" case. I was going to use a case humidifier, for it will spend it's "non-playing" time in there. What about the "tang oil"? Is that just to keep it looking nice? or is it required to nourish the wood? Thanks for any advice.

I have KoAloha's as well. Mine came with Herco guitar humidifier. I put it in the small interior pocket. So far it seems to work fine through Michigan winter. :) I refill it once or twice a week in the winter time.

From the KoAloha site:
**For the instrument built & dated prior to August 2005, our wood movement has no limitations. For instruments built after June 30, 2005, wood movement will be guaranteed with the verified purchase of an inside-case humidifier at the time of the ukulele purchase. Failure to provide this may void any wood movement claims.

I live in the Mid-Atlantic region. I have two KoAloha ukuleles and they both have Herco case humidifiers. I soak them for 5 minutes every 2 to 3 weeks and my house has a whole house humidifier and central AC. I monitor humidity levels in my music room and have never had a problem with any of my solid wood instruments. I have more than a few.
I've never used tung oil on any instruments and have never put anything on the finish of my KoAlohas.

Enjoy your KoAloha!

Top Bottom