Mainland Mahogany Long Neck Pineapple Like New

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shastastan

Reaction score
I'm having a little angst here. I bought this pineapple and waited about 6 months to get it. It is a beautiful instrument with a really nice hard case. I had a strap button added. It came with Aquila strings. I haven't even had this uke out of the case 5 times. 30 minutes is probably the longest that I've played it at a single session and that was not even continuous. This uke retails for $249.50 at Mainland and the case is $45.

I'm a rookie player and I have 2 other ukes. I don't know if it's the pineapple shape, but I like playing my other ukes more than this pineapple. The tone, resonance, and intonation are all the usual Mainland quality. I like I like Mainland ukes so well that I'm going to buy a mahogany concert when they get some in. I'm willing to sell this one for $260. Buyer pays shipping. U.S. shipments only. Please respond via PM if interested. Photos provided at your request. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm...No replies to this value of $295 for $260? Looks like it will have to be going to Ebay.

You know if you sell it on eBay, they will hit you for 9% of the selling price. If you go through PayPal, they will also hit you for another 4%. Have you considered the FleaMarketMusic free sell site or even Craig's List? You say you have a button;do you also have a strap?

I'd pay the extra $35 for brand spanking new plus warranty.

He has a point. I'm not trying to tell you how to sell your Uke', but if it were anything else I'd say you were pricing it too high.

No offense to Shastastan, but I also have to agree with this.

Honestly for anything that can be bought new (not vintage, discontinued, etc) I know I'd need to see a pretty deep discount before a used item, especially from an independent seller (not a store), would catch my interest. 50% off retail, maybe 1/3rd off at most. But just 12% discount from retail? Sorry, not worth the gamble.

And 2nd on images too...always attach images. A lot of people won't even read a sales listing w/o an image (myself included). If nothing less it's a mark of seriousness and helps testify you do in fact, have the item you're selling (the 'net is full of scammers...)

--

Also... While I appreciate the honesty, it probably doesn't help the sale much to say there's just something about this particular 'uke that causes you to dislike it enough to never play it.

I know when I was much more into collecting vintage saxophones something to look for was significant playing wear, so long as it was otherwise cared for and wasn't worn out for good. A great horn more often then not was played hard and often. A mint condition horn from the '30s might look pretty nailed to a wall, but chances are it stayed mint because something about it just wasn't good so it never left the case. I don't want to see dents, etc, but if the finish isn't long gone from all the right places it's a sure sign it just wasn't played.

A great player gets played.

You make a good point--especially if you are concerned about the quality of the brand. I've sold some instruments (not ukes) in the past and I always allow a few days trial period. Of course the buyer pays shipping both ways and the instrument must be in the exact same condition as when it was originally shipped. This seems a fair way to me.

I've had good success selling on ebay. My ebay i.d. is "ajunt". I've bought quite a few things on ebay and find that the feedback has helped to alleviate my concerns. FWIW

I'm not in a cash bind so I can take my time in selling. I had to wait 6 months to get this uke and am now waiting for a mahogany concert from Mainland. Luckily, I have other ukes to play and I'm not adverse to playing this pineapple either.

Last edited:
You make a good point--especially if you are concerned about the quality of the brand. I've sold some instruments (not ukes) in the past and I always allow a few days trial period. Of course the buyer pays shipping both ways and the instrument must be in the exact same condition as when it was originally shipped. This seems a fair way to me.

I've had good success selling on ebay. My ebay i.d. is "ajunt". I've bought quite a few things on ebay and find that the feedback has helped to alleviate my concerns. FWIW

I'm not in a cash bind so I can take my time in selling. I had to wait 6 months to get this uke and am now waiting for a mahogany concert from Mainland. Luckily, I have other ukes to play and I'm not adverse to playing this pineapple either.

Good luck...Check out FMM and Marketplace and you'll get a sense of what type of discount people give to move their ukes

No offense to Shastastan, but I also have to agree with this.

....snip....Also... While I appreciate the honesty, it probably doesn't help the sale much to say there's just something about this particular 'uke that causes you to dislike it enough to never play it.

I know when I was much more into collecting vintage saxophones something to look for was significant playing wear, so long as it was otherwise cared for and wasn't worn out for good. A great horn more often then not was played hard and often. A mint condition horn from the '30s might look pretty nailed to a wall, but chances are it stayed mint because something about it just wasn't good so it never left the case. I don't want to see dents, etc, but if the finish isn't long gone from all the right places it's a sure sign it just wasn't played.

A great player gets played.

Well, I've played quite a few trumpets and they have all played differently. I've sold and bought some, too. When I've sold, the first question always asked is, "Are there any dings?" Most clunkers bought are refurbished for resale. I've bought some used trumpets from pro level players that didn't get played because they had too many other horns. Also I've seen a number of players use gloves to keep the finish from being tarnished. Most players take careful care of their horns since they may want to sell them later. I can't speak for sax players though. If you're talking about someone's favorite instrument, yeah, it has a better chance of showing wear. A lot of folks want something "like new." When the buy older horns, it's quite common to have them fixed up. As to ukes, I'm still a rookie and not qualified to evaluate a quality used/older uke. That's why I've only bought new and Mainland has been my choice for their quality and reasonable price. I bought this pineapple because it was the only way I could try one do to living in the boonies. The shape just doesn't work for me and I would rather have a standard shape concert. Just sayin...

Stan

I've changed my mind and have decided to keep this pineapple. I've been waiting to get a Mainland mahogany concert, but have not heard back from them for quite some time. There's nothing wrong with the way this pineapple plays, from my perspective so the issue is just for me to try and get used to the pineapple shape. Thanks for all your comments.

Stan

thanks for your interest. As noted above, I've decided to keep it My issue is getting used to the shape. there's absolutely nothing wrong with the instrument. I'm just not used to a pineapple. There was no place locally for me to try one so the only way to test one was to buy it online. From what I heard, it seems to depreciate as fast as car when you buy a new one. I'm just don't want to take that big a % of a loss on an instrument that's excellent quality and like new. FWIW.

Stan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom