Kanilea Super Tenor Questions

RAZZLE

Reaction score
Forumite's,
Can any anyone chime in on their thought's on the above?Is there a marked difference in sound between a tenor and super tenor?

Razzle

Last week I owned a K-1 deluxe tenor and a K-1 satin super tenor. I sold the K-1 tenor because the sound was too close to that of the super tenor and I did not need two of the same. However, what made me decide on the super tenor as the one to keep was that , of the two, the super tenor had a richer, clearer sound. both were great, but the super tenor was greater. Also, my super tenor is a satin finish and has a bit more resonance than the K-1 deluxe high gloss (which was stunning)-- so it is a trade-off; looks vs sound. Bob Myers has a super tenor for sale and he said it is as close as a tenor can get to a baritone-- I agree, yet it retains the GCEA tuning.

Last edited:
I haven't played a Kanilea tenor but my super tenor is one of my all time favorite ukes and I've had dozens. It has terrific resonance across the range and especially in the bass range. Some ears find them boomy but I love it. I have Worth Browns on mine. Good luck!

I haven't played a standard Kanilea either, but my super tenor to me personally, is the best sounding uke I currently have. I love it, especially for instrumentals.

I haven't played a standard Kanilea tenor next to a super tenor, but the two ST's I've owned have had remarkable bass response while still retaining their "uke-ness." If you like low-G tuning, then these ukes really shine. If you prefer re-entrant, then a standard tenor might be more your thing.

This probably won't help, since the standard tenor is tuned high-G and the super tenor is low-G, but here's MGM playing the two:

http://youtu.be/UfSuBjVH4d8

http://youtu.be/DIGatnRI_m4

I had a K-1 super tenor once and I agree it's a great sounding uke. To me the sound is at the same level of some custom tenors I have. The only reason I sold it was because I kind of moved away from tenors and it was kind of redundant since I have several other good tenors that provide essentially the same sound.

I have to say that the Kanile'a super tenor is perhaps one of the most butt-ugly looking ukulele shapes I've seen though. To me it was so ugly it was kind of cute. LOL!

I have to say that the Kanile'a super tenor is perhaps one of the most butt-ugly looking ukulele shapes I've seen though. To me it was so ugly it was kind of cute. LOL!

It is an unusual shape that's for sure. I call it my big bottom gal.

That might be the new trend as the CR concert has a larger lower bout and the LFDM and I'iwi tenors have 9.75" lower bouts.

If Sir Mix-a-Lot ever made a uke, he would definitely make it like the Super Tenor...I like big bouts and I cannot lie!! LOL

Thanks all for the replies.i am looking at getting another kanilea custom build and I don't want it to be a boomy tenor so I think its the standard tenor.does anyone have a picture of the slotted headstock in koa not ebony?
Razzle

You sure you don't want a super tenor? Bob Myers is selling a really beautiful one in the Marketplace...

I pretty much only play my super tenor nowadays. Good projection, good tone, responsive to string changes. It suffers to the standard tenor when recording at lower volumes but for 99% of what I do its drop dead perfet. Also the larger bout lets you huge it to the chest a little better. If you are a finger-picker I would definitely think about the S. Tenor as well.

Top Bottom