"Everybody Wants To Be A Cat"

H

Hippie Dribble

1970. George Bruns; Richard and Robert Sherman.

Some old-time jazz and swing from the Disney Studios, this is the signature tune from the animated film, 'The Aristocats', released the same year.

I recorded this yesterday afternoon, after having been given this lovely ukulele by my parents, which I talked about last night in this thread:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...208-How-A-Sad-Dad-Was-Blessed-On-Mother-s-Day

Dedicated to the memory of our beloved Pusca, my only childhood pet, who was with us from my 4th birthday until a little after my 26th, and to my parents, Graham and Beverley. I love you.

I should say that the original tempo is much faster than my rendition, which I based more on the Michelle Shocked take which appears on her brilliant album, 'Got No Strings'. It was inspired also by the awesome YT clip by BaronK69. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tee1Og9UO78

Thanks for watching gang. :)

Aloha Gato,
Nice job on your rendition...sweet bruddah....love dat uke too....happy strummings..
tell me about the uke..is it a concert and what wood is that...it's not a pearl white finish ???

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. The uke's a beauty and can really sing. You're misspelling the make of it though, just ask Stan.

Wonderful mate, thats a cool looking uke , loved that version you played, nice laid back version sounded great on that uke and lovely vocals, Christian (chrimmes) will like it :) as he loves a disney song lol
All the best from me :)

Great tune, Jon - one of my kids' favorite movies..... and that Collings looks and sounds beautiful.... gotta say, I recently had a Collings guitar fall into my lap and it is - without a doubt - the finest instrument I've ever had the pleasure to lay hands to. (It belongs to a very generous friend who used to play professionally - he said 'I'll ask for it back when I need it - which will probably be never' - and I said - 'Holy $%#@, are you serious?') It makes me sorely tempted to try out one of their ukuleles - if they're anything like the guitar I've been playing, I'd have a hard time believing there's anyone out their building an ukulele that plays any better.....

Wonderful Jon! The uke suits you and so does the song. It's good to see a really good uke in your hands again! And the best thing about a gift uke is you can't sell it! :) (Edit to add - no, that's not really true - the best thing about a gift uke is that it shows people love you and love your music.)

I just want to add my voice to those who have expressed what an inspiration you've been to me on the uke. I'll never have a tenth the talent you do but I learn a little bit here and a little there from your videos. Mostly, though, it is just refreshing to see someone with so much talent who is so humble and giving!

John

Great job Jon. I loved it. Your new uke sounds wonderful, that was the perfect song for its debut.

Damn fine tune, damn fine uke...pretty sure if I had it to do all over again, I would want to be a dog, but close enough.

Damn fine tune, damn fine uke...pretty sure if I had it to do all over again, I would want to be a dog, but close enough.

fair point Dave. Dogs generally have more success hawking the fork than cats, so yeah, I'm with you :eek:ld:

Awesomeness, Jon. Simply awesomeness.

Yes, I would like to be cat. Even a little more after hearing your sweet version of this song. Gracias, Jon.

Top Bottom