what is your practice and learning schedule?

fleepod

Reaction score
I have not had a lot of time to hug and tickle my ukulele strings and now I am wondering how much time you folks spend with your ukulele.

Thank you..

Some days several hours. Sometimes at home waiting to be called to work, sometimes at work in-between flights.

I use a combination of youtube/UU videos for instruction, personal song preference (guitar music transposition or even by-ear), and printed songs to practice. I try to keep it fun and not not tedious, since the uke is supposed to be fun, right? Also, I have 'runs,' or chord combinations, and solos that are usually a 'stretch' for my current level I try to play here and there. It's amazing how they are suddenly easy when you least expect it. Strumming and fingerpicking both....

Howlin' Hobbit says, "You be surprised how much your ukulele playing will improve with just a half hour practice a day."

He couldn't be more right.

Some days I get 6-8 hours. :D

Last edited:
I try to get in 45-60 minutes a day of practice. I sometimes get in more, as I'll often just pick it up and play for 5 minutes here and 10 minutes there extra.

Used to play 2-4 hours a day, singing and strumming songs that I printed and kept in my songbook, some songs I sing and pick the chords. Sometimes I pick Hawaiian Songs that I learned a loooooong time ago.
Recently, I've been kinda on a break from ukes. Haven't looked for or bought any ukes for 2 months and that's unusual for me. Only thing uke related lately have been talking ukes with mmStan, and discussing my build with my Luthier.
Maybe my upcoming custom will rekindle my love affair with my uke collection.
I'm on Maui and have been fishing (bought 5 rod and reels for different kinds of fishing) with my Fiance, and just basically having fun with her...............................BO........................
Oh, caught my first Ulua, ah, Jack Trevally to you Mainlanders...........

Used to play 2-4 hours a day, singing and strumming songs that I printed and kept in my songbook, some songs I sing and pick the chords. Sometimes I pick Hawaiian Songs that I learned a loooooong time ago.
Recently, I've been kinda on a break from ukes. Haven't looked for or bought any ukes for 2 months and that's unusual for me. Only thing uke related lately have been talking ukes with mmStan, and discussing my build with my Luthier.
Maybe my upcoming custom will rekindle my love affair with my uke collection.
I'm on Maui and have been fishing (bought 5 rod and reels for different kinds of fishing) with my Fiance, and just basically having fun with her...............................BO........................
Oh, caught my first Ulua, ah, Jack Trevally to you Mainlanders...........

Yup, fishing is a passion all it's own. I'm sure you'll regain your passion for uke once your Willie Wixom is in your hands though! Congratulations on your catch--both fish and fiance!!

Scott

Mahalo Bruddah Scott,
That's what Stan always tells me, but for him it's the uke and the girl,hehe. So true................

Saturday and Sundays, Finger picking and reading tabs. Sometimes open mic. Whatever I can fit in.
Mon-Fri, before, during, and after work unless I am swamped.

I'm fortunate to be able to sing and play at work.

Hey 808...

Living on Maui is a blessed thing....having a fiance to share your life with even more. What a wonderful place! It's been since 2007 since I've been there.

I'm sure your new Uke might change some of your playing habits.

I am trying to keep with a commitment of a half hour a day or more and I've been pretty good with it, usually logging a good bit more. I have been running through Uncle Rod's bootcamp and am amazed that I can actually do some of this! I have also tried to pick up a couple songs just to see if I can get through them, but mostly I am following Uncle Rod's advice to learn music before songs. Of course, this forum has been an amazing asset.

Top Bottom