R.I.P Donald ' Duck" Dunn

To show you where my tastes run, I remember him most for playing on the movie "The Blues Brothers". He was a great one and will be missed.

Oh! My heart just jumped into my mouth when I saw the tread title. I hadn't heard that... Man... Levon Helm and Duck Dunn so close together. I'm going to have to bust out my Booker T, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett and Blues Brothers CDs. He was a great bassist, and a great person in other ways. I remember seeing a documentary about Rock and Roll where they were talking to him and Steve Cropper about what it was like to be white teenagers playing in the south with black musicians. They had to hide in the van and go to the back doors of restaurants to avoid being hassled (or WORSE) by whites. It took bravery, and it shows that music has the ability to unite people and overcome stupidity and ignorance.

Woah, I just read this and stopped cold.

This is a total bummer. I've been a Duck fan before I even knew who he was, growing up listening to so many of those R&B classics. Like a lot of others, I first heard of him officially from the Blues Brothers movie/album. It was only later that I realized that this cat was one of the original R&B demons as a Stax session guy. And he played with EVERYONE.

That band in the great beyond just got one hell of a bassist.

Sad Indeed. Got to see him several times with Booker T and the MG's when they toured in the 90s, and with Neil Young. He (they) made it seem so effortless and obvious. No showboat, just groove.

"We had a band powerful enough to turn goat piss into gasoline." - Duck, in The Blues Brothers.

One of the greats. He'll be missed.

"Time is Tight" is one of my favorite songs.

Oddly, I just found this out through this thread.

Top Bottom