Impulse buy!...

GKK

Reaction score
I just won this Solid Acacia Tenor Uke from Vietnamese luthier Bruceweiart.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...AQ:US:1123&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_3169wt_689

I always liked his work and have heard good things about him and his ukes on the ukulele underground. I never bid on any of his ukes though, because the shipping from Vietnam was always $85-90! I was surprised to see that he now offers Free shipping so, I entered the starting bid of $139.99 and won it a day later!...

I can't wait to get it! I wanted another tenor to practice with in my room.

Last edited:
hey GKK!!! That's sure one of his prettier ones. Looks like a great buy, well done! Let us know how it sounds, congratulations. :)

Sweet! Looks cool - can't wait for a sound sample. :)

Cool. At a price like that it's worth a gamble! Looking forward to your New Uke Day

Good score. I like the head stock wood. If you get a chance please post a review with your impressions.

Thanks, everyone.

Now, I have to buy another hard case and hygrometer so, I can keep the wood properly hydrated...:shaka:

I have seen horror stories about his ukes, so I am very interested to see how this plays out!

I was reading about Antoniotsai, who has a ton of problems with his (beautiful inlaid) instruments cracking. Some of them mentioned Bruce Wei for the cracking as well.

There's a lengthy conversation about Bruce Wei instruments HERE.

Edited to add, there are some pics on page 9 of that thread that are pretty compelling.

Last edited:
i've got a soprano by Bruce and mine is fine, i don't keep it in a case or anything and i have had no problems at all, it is solidly built and it looks quite cute, if i had any gripes, they would be that the soundboard is not as thin as most ukes and even though it was advertised as a soprano, it is more like a sopranino, the tuners are not the best and they usually need a tweak, but other than that its tip top

I was reading about Antoniotsai, who has a ton of problems with his (beautiful inlaid) instruments cracking. Some of them mentioned Bruce Wei for the cracking as well.

There's a lengthy conversation about Bruce Wei instruments HERE.

Edited to add, there are some pics on page 9 of that thread that are pretty compelling.

These are from 2009. Koa Pilo Kokos used to have some problems back then, but none lately.

i've got a soprano by Bruce and mine is fine, i don't keep it in a case or anything and i have had no problems at all, it is solidly built and it looks quite cute, if i had any gripes, they would be that the soundboard is not as thin as most ukes and even though it was advertised as a soprano, it is more like a sopranino, the tuners are not the best and they usually need a tweak, but other than that its tip top

kaisersoza: you have a way with words. You almost made me choke on my Mt Dew...."other than that it's tip top." LOL

I, like Freeda (and her links) have heard that his ukuleles are doorstops. But, thick wood can be thinned, and perhaps he's caught on to how to use a wood plane.

Seriously, it is a good looking ukulele, though.

Bruce Wei's recent ukulele's are very good quality now and with a set-up, play and sound really nice.

Bruce Wei was working with a UU member here and most of the issues were with the set ups.

Wow, Freeda, thanks. It's pretty, but I don't think I'd feel good having bought a uke made by kids who should be playing and schooling... child labor just sucks, bigtime.

I have mixed feelings. Building ukes is better than prostitution, which is often the only viable alternative for young girls in some countries. But not ideal, no.

lol@CK, thanx Steve, but on a more serious note i bought it when I didn't know any better, but it has been a pleasant surprise considering the bad press it originally received, oh and ditto what Freeda posted, didn't know they came from sweatshops using child labour, not good, but could be a lot worse

Top Bottom