Good Uke for Beginners?

RockPigeon

Reaction score
So I have a friend in college who is looking to buy her first Ukulele. Do you guys have any suggestions of some decent starting Ukuleles that won't break the bank?

Thanks guys!

I'd recommend a pre-owned Fluke or Flea.

Define "won't break the bank". Are we talking about 50 bucks or 200? It's a big difference.

Look at Ohanas. They have some great choices for under $200. My 1st uke was an Ohana SK35 for about $130. Awesome solid wood uke. Even though I have higher end ones, I still play that one, and still one of my favorite every day'ers. They have similar models for even less, without some of the bling of the SK (no binding, headstock laminate, etc. ) but for the most part, the same uke. I think the SK10 is the model of the one like it, without the pretty upgrades, and I think that one is sub $100.

Last edited:
I think the Kala's in this price range are a good value. There are many good choices, but it really comes down to what will she enjoy playing. The uke you play is the best uke of all...

For under $100, my faves are the Kala KA-S and the Ohana SK-10. If you can take your friend to a local shop with lots of Makala ukes, you should be able to find a good one.

Top Bottom