Convert a classical guitar into a u-bass?

Tommy B

Reaction score
Hi all. I just stumbled upon these videos in which Mimmo of Aquila uses his Thundergut strings on converted classical guitars. I think it sounds promising, and now it's got me thinking about trying the same with an inexpensive guitar I own. Has anyone else here thought of trying this? In the comments section, Mimmo warns that this was only a test, and that his strings are meant only for U-basses and Ashbory basses, but it sure seems to work!

http://youtu.be/jy_Ar4qG97I

http://youtu.be/KTFE_NXKghk

Maybe it would also work well with a small scale classical body, like a 3/4 or a 1/2 model designed for kids. They are certainly cheap enough to get hold of. Hmmm.... Maybe, I'll .... NO! Stop! I should learn to play the instruments I have, not spend valuable time on another project :rolleyes: Get thee behind me Tommy B :cool:

Definitely seems like a thrilling idea. Wouldn't string tension and tuning be a problem though?

Maybe it would also work well with a small scale classical body, like a 3/4 or a 1/2 model designed for kids. They are certainly cheap enough to get hold of. Hmmm.... Maybe, I'll .... NO! Stop! I should learn to play the instruments I have, not spend valuable time on another project :rolleyes: Get thee behind me Tommy B :cool:

LOL, it's too late, Barbablanca. The wheels are turning, aren't they? ;) I just realized I have a Venezuelan cuatro with very large fretwires and high action that might make a dandy acoustic bass for uke jams. Of course, I'd have to learn how to play bass first!

I went with an Ibanez Mikro Bass guitar for more sustain. I still have the bass uke though.

Attachments

• Mikro Bass.jpg
    Mikro Bass.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 13
I would think that since the Pahoehoe and Thundergut strings are thicker compared to a guitar, or a baritone ukulele, the spacing between fret bars need to be wider to get the correct bass note.

LOL, it's too late, Barbablanca. The wheels are turning, aren't they? ;) I just realized I have a Venezuelan cuatro with very large fretwires and high action that might make a dandy acoustic bass for uke jams. Of course, I'd have to learn how to play bass first!

DON"T DO THIS!

Unless your Cuatro is really some sort of oddball, the construction is like a Soprano Ukulele - not a Baritone. In other words, extremely light. It wouldn't stand up to any sort of abnormal tension.

bigchiz
I would think that since the Pahoehoe and Thundergut strings are thicker compared to a guitar, or a baritone ukulele, the spacing between fret bars need to be wider to get the correct bass note.
Fret spacing is related to scale. Thicker strings means your compensation may well change - not the fret spacing.

DON"T DO THIS!

Unless your Cuatro is really some sort of oddball, the construction is like a Soprano Ukulele - not a Baritone. In other words, extremely light. It wouldn't stand up to any sort of abnormal tension.

Thanks, Dirk. The cuatro definitely is a lightly built instrument, so that makes sense. You saved me from turning an unplayable instrument into another kind of unplayable instrument! :D

Most of the 30" 1/2 size kids's guitars, including the first act and it's clones, have truss rods. I don't really see a problem converting one into a U Bass type instrument with a bridge, nut and saddle change. Inexpensive Asian "Mini" bass tuners available, nut. Hearing some positive comments about the Thundergut strings as apposed to the fat rubber ones. Some folks even using trimmer line.
any try one of these?

Top Bottom