Tips for cleaning Uke fingerboard??

Howie1947

Reaction score
Have a few smudges, spots on my Uke's fingerboard. Any suggestions for trying to remove them. Have tried a little water with Q-tip swab, but no luck.

If your refering to "Guitar Polish" I have heard that it is not supposed to be used on the fingerboard. Has a little oil in it.

Just use an instrument polish cloth, it picks up most oil and grime. Use your thumb nail with it along the edges of the frets - it's easiest to do this when you have the strings off. I would avoid using any sort of cleaner, I find that anything besides my own sweat on the fingerboard just slows my playing down.

If your refering to "Guitar Polish" I have heard that it is not supposed to be used on the fingerboard. Has a little oil in it.

i think what he is referring to is fretboard cleaners/conditioners. there are several products out there that are made for guitar to clean and condition your strings and the fretboard. the way i see it, guitar fretboards are made with the same materials as ukulele (most of the time... rosewood). so if it is safe for a guitar, i dont see why it wouldnt be safe for an ukulele. my brother and i use one product and it has given us impressive results on all of our stringed instruments. from steel elec guitar, to steel acoustic guitar, to nylon acoustic guitar, to ukulele.

Has anyone ever tried Murphy's Oil Soap? It's used to clean furniture, I wonder if it would be safe to use on a fretboard?

http://www.muzique.com/schem/fret.htm

I hope this helps.

Personally, though, I use guitar specific "lemon" oil. It seems to me that it can't go wrong and would be recalled if it didn't work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom