Electric City Ukefest 2012 - Schenectady, NY

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've just confirmed that we will be having a one day Ukulele Festival in Schenectady, NY on September 22, 2012.

The festival, scheduled to run from 1 PM until 11:00 pm, will be held at Proctor's Theater in downtown Schenectady, and is sponsored by the Electric City Ukulele Club and the Eighth Step Coffee House.

The single page flyer states "Workshops, Displays, Open Mic Performances and More!"

Confirmed Attendees include: Jim and Liz Beloff, Joel Eckhaus, Ron Gordon, Bill Diloff, and Ukulele Michael Eck (aka the East Coast Ukulele Mike).

I don't know the price, but I will be there.

There is a Hampton Inn approximately 3 doors from Proctor's Theater, and the Amtrak Station is about 2-3 blocks away.

More Information as I get it.

-Kurt​

Here's a bump to remind everyone about the Electric City Uke Fest, in Schenectady NY.

One Day, September 22, 2012

If we get a good enough response, this will be the "First Annual" Electric City Ukulele Festival.

I was told last night that I have no choice - I will be performing during the Open Mike, and possibly during the Evening Concert.

I really hope to meet many of you there - especially if you in the Northeast!

-Kurt​

Looks like a great time! Wish I could be there.

Btw, it appears that ukulele is spelled "ukelele" throughout the entire flyer.

Alternate spelling?

ksiegel, do you know if there is info yet on the vendors, or will it be on the site later? I couldn't find anything. (I'm hoping to try out ukes I can't find near me.)

Dave as far as I know right now, there is only going to be flea market and earnest.. not sure about others. The event planners are not sure how many people will show to bring vendors from further away...

Carrie has it right, so far.

They are trying to get a few more vendors, and trying to get at least one of the local music stores that sells many low to moderate prices ukes there, but that's all I overheard in the conversation.

The biggest problem with attracting vendors is that we are only a one-day event. If we were a whole weekend, we might have a shot at getting someone like Mim there, but I doubt she's travel two days (one up, one back) for a One Day event.

-Kurt​

Dave as far as I know right now, there is only going to be flea market and earnest.. not sure about others. The event planners are not sure how many people will show to bring vendors from further away...

Thanks Carrie and Kurt - I'll check the web site from time to time to see which vendors are listed.

It would be awesome to have Mim.. maybe next year! :)

Carrie has it right, so far.

They are trying to get a few more vendors, and trying to get at least one of the local music stores that sells many low to moderate prices ukes there, but that's all I overheard in the conversation.

The biggest problem with attracting vendors is that we are only a one-day event. If we were a whole weekend, we might have a shot at getting someone like Mim there, but I doubt she's travel two days (one up, one back) for a One Day event.

-Kurt​

This event sounds like it could be a great thing, but it needs more publicity... As in ANY publicity..
Even if just online ..how about the TU blogs or "All Over Albany"...

Im really looking forward to the daybut I'm having a hard time finding any details.. I cant imagine anyone else even hearing about it..
Without a big showing this will unfortunately just flop..

This looks great! I hope that it can garner enough attendance. My sister and I will certainly be there!

I was just looking at this. Wish there was more info -- like do you have to sign up for workshops in advance? Are they concurrent or is it possible to attend all of them? What vendors have been confirmed? It would be a three and a half hour drive for me and probably a night at a hotel before making the same trip back, so I'd like to know more. Without that info, I'll likely stay home.
Anyone know where I can find out more?

From what i know right now they will have 3 set times for workshops. Two in each time slot. No need to register in advance as far as i know. If I get more info I will post.

Wanted to give this a bump...

I do know that there will be a beginner uke class I believe taught by Jim Beloff
Chord melody for the uke, intermediate uke and lap steel. I can't remember the others that I was told about.
I am excited for this festival to be held so close to home.
If you are coming from out of town, please let us know.. Perhaps we can do a meetup.. lunch gathering etc.. There are lots of good restaurants nearby and lots of great things around to see if you are thinking of making a weekend of it..
Sure hoping to meet some of my fellow UU'ers there!

And Ron Gordon said that if we can get 100 attendees (at $25/each) we'll make expenses with a little bit to donate to the Eighth Step (A 501(c)3!), and we can have the 2nd annual Electric City Ukulele Festival in 2013.

-Kurt​

And Ron Gordon said that if we can get 100 attendees (at $25/each) we'll make expenses with a little bit to donate to the Eighth Step (A 501(c)3!), and we can have the 2nd annual Electric City Ukulele Festival in 2013.

-Kurt​

It's pretty obvious this needs allot more publicity than it has so far..
I certainly hope 100 or more show up but I have my doubts..
I hope this week we see a ton of publicity..
looking forward to it and another in 2013..

It's pretty obvious this needs allot more publicity than it has so far..
I certainly hope 100 or more show up but I have my doubts..
I hope this week we see a ton of publicity..
looking forward to it and another in 2013..

Sal,
Where are you coming from? I know there hasn't been a lot of publicity I am not sure why, however, Iam looking forward to it and hope there many more to come.. See you next Saturday!

Part of the reason for low publicity is that Margie at 8th Step was handling that, and she had to go out-of-state due to a family emergency.

Had I known that when it happened, I'd have started making a bunch of phone calls, but I'm not part of the group running the festival, just gonna pay for it and attend.

-Kurt​

I'm looking forward to going, and if anyone is interested in carpooling, I will be coming from Orange County, NY

Top Bottom