Hide It Away - Richard Thompson cover

uke4ia

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score

This is the first Richard Thompson song that I've had the guts to do a video of. I played this at an open mic a couple of weeks ago, and it went pretty well.

Great job! I LOVE Richard Thompson. He's in my top 5 favorite guitarists of all time, and I would love to be able to sing like him (even though a lot of people would describe his voice as "odd", at best). I'm sort of glad that he doesn't play ukulele, because when I saw him on a solo acoustic tour in '93, I didn't want to touch my guitar for about 3 weeks!
I've done a couple of his songs on uke... "A Heart Needs a Home" and "Dimming of the Day", with mixed results. I think "Al Bowley's In Heaven" would work, and I've played around with "'52 Vincent Black Lightining", but not with much success.
Anyway, good work, and good song choice! We seem to have some similar tastes in music!

I've done a couple of his songs on uke... "A Heart Needs a Home" and "Dimming of the Day", with mixed results. I think "Al Bowley's In Heaven" would work, and I've played around with "'52 Vincent Black Lightining", but not with much success.

I've played "Al Bowlly's in Heaven", but I won't try a video until I can play the solo better. I won't touch "52 Vincent Black Lightning" because my name's James and my daughter's name is Molly. There's at least a half dozen other songs I've printed out the chords to and tinkered with over the last decade. The ones I'd most like to get into my playing repertoire are "Sibella" and "Bathsheba Smiles". I play too many downbeat songs already, so I'd choose those over something like "Al Bowlly" or "I Misunderstood". I also know this very early song of his from Fairport Convention called "Decameron".

I've written a couple of songs that were strongly influenced by Thompson. The one that has a video is called "Every Post and Pillar". He's also influenced me in writing songs where the lyrics tell a story.

Every Post and Pillar

Top Bottom