New Uke Policy on Hawaiian Airlines

hiyajoe

Reaction score
I recently went on a trip to visit my family on Oahu. I brought my Lanikai tenor to play for a program and also purchased an amazing Tenor Kanile'a with Spalted Sapwood Koa while I was there.

Upon checking into my return flight at the Honolulu Airport, one of the attendants came to tag my check in baggage and proceeded to tell me that in the near future I would no longer be able to take any ukulele as a carry-on and would have to check it in or be charged a fee. I inquired as to why, since the size and weight of both of my ukes together(my only carry-ons), were less volume and weight than my carry-on suitcase. He responded, "because it's too big." I wasn't quite satisfied with that answer, but he wasn't interested in further explanation.

An Ukulele fee on Hawaiian Airlines. Anyone else heard of this?

Most airlines limit by fixed dimensions with 9"x14"x22" being common, sometimes 24" (mostly smaller domestic airplanes). Basically it must be able to fit under the seat...and they've been making seats smaller and smaller.

A few specify by total linear length, allowing for long, skinny items. It sounds like they might be switching to fixed dimension.

22" is pretty much a soprano uke already, so adding a case it would be "too big".

But checking an instrument scares me...I can't figure out why...

WHAT?! Good to know and thanks for the heads up. Later in June, I'll be in Ohahu before flying over to the Big Island and then back to Oahu before heading home and I'll be taking Hawaiian Air for my inter-island flights. I was planning on picking up my uke at the start of my trip so I could have something to play with and get a good two weeks to see if it needed fine tuning but if I'm gonna get dinged both flights, I might just pick it up at the end of my trip before I fly out. If it's like $10 per flight, I could eat that but if it's like crazy airline rates like $50 one way, I'll seriously reconsider. I guess I'll call Hawaiian Air the first couple days I'm in Oahu to find out.

That would suck. I'm supposed to be going to Hawaii to perform with one of my ukulele classes, and I would want to bring my best ukulele with me. I really don't want to have to check it as baggage.

Wow that is news to me! I fly Hawaiian multiple times per year, and always carry a tenor uke with me. I will definitely be calling them today to ask about this policy.

Also, you said check it or pay a fee. Did that mean you could opt to keep it as a carryon and pay a fee to do so? I am not about to check a K tenor in a fiberglass case. So that would mean I would never take a uke again. Seems messed up when Southwest, Delta, United and American never have a problem. I always take Hawaiian to Hawaii but that might change.

Last edited:
I helped a friend get started on ukulele this spring and when he returned to England he checked and found out that British Airways would not let him take a tenor uke as carry on. He took back the tenor he had purchased and bought a soprano. I find it a bit ridiculous with what some people are allowed to drag on a plane as carry on, that a tenor ukulele, which I have traveled with at my feet many times, would not be allowed.

I used to hand deliver ukes to Oahu and tie it in with a mini vacation. Looks like those days are over and I'll be staying home now. Any other airline I can see having such a policy, but Hawaiian????????

Last edited:
I was planning on taking my super concert or one of my tenors to Hawaii when I fly there on Hawaiian Airlines in December. So that I don't have to pay to check-in my uke(s), I'll have to buy a new one while I'm there. Yeah I know it doesn't make any sense but in my simple mind it most definitely justifies getting another one so that I'll have something to play while I'm there ;). UAS sucks sometimes :)

Here's Hawaiian Airlines policy for musical instruments:

MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS
Musical instruments (including brass, percussion, string, or woodwind, but excluding piano, harp, tympani, organ, and amplifiers/speakers used in conjunction with electronic instruments) will be accepted as checked baggage subject to the provisions of Rule 195 (L). (One item of musical instruments is defined as one musical instrument.) When in excess, musical instruments will be subject to the excess baggage charge for a single piece, whether or not presented as a single piece."

Here is the link to the TSA's policy on musical instruments: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1235.shtm

So, even though the TSA allows 1 musical instrument, 1 carry-on and 1 personal item, they are not interchangeable.

I emailed Hawaiian today (mainly because if they say I can still carry it on I want to print that out -- a phone call isn't proof of anything). I'll write here to update what I hear back.

I'm just really surprised they would change that. I have seen guitars on flights, let alone ukuleles. I always see at least two or three people with ukes onboard Hawaiian and I've even taken two tenor cases before.

That really sucks if they changed it. I guess I won't stay Pualani with them and might start flying Delta then. Or just won't bring a uke anymore. :(

in the near future I would no longer be able to take any ukulele as a carry-on and would have to check it in or be charged a fee.

Am I understanding correctly - you could still carry it on if you were willing to pay the fee? Personally I don't have as much of an issue with the fee as I would with checking it in (which I absolutely will not do). I would gladly pay the fee if it meant my uke would not be out of my sight.

Am I understanding correctly - you could still carry it on if you were willing to pay the fee? Personally I don't have as much of an issue with the fee as I would with checking it in (which I absolutely will not do). I would gladly pay the fee if it meant my uke would not be out of my sight.

Ditto. I'll pay whatever the fee is if they just want their stupid baggage fee. But they aren't getting my uke out of my possession. I'm going to call them now and ask. Sigh. These stupid things concern me to no end, and I'm due to go on Hawaiian in three weeks I just don't want them confiscating my KoAloha or Kamoa tenor from me when I do.

EDIT: I just got off the phone with a Hawaiian representative and he said that as long as it is within the 45 linear inches it is okay to carry on, though I might be required to loosen the strings (you can see their contract of carriage limits liability due to string tension). I'm probably stretching that on my tenor case but since it is a slim case, I might have a chance. If it fits, I'm totally bringing a printout of the 45 inch policy, along with a cloth tape measure.

He said he didn't see any updates re: musical instruments on the baggage policy -- they do have a change coming up on June 1 where you now have to claim your luggage between flights and reenter security if you are flying Hawaiian plus another carrier -- you won't be able to check it through on both flights.

If I take a uke, I will probably wear it on my back so that hopefully the gate agent doesn't even see it when I board. Then toss it up into the overhead as soon as I get on the plane.

It is annoying as hell considering I've seen people bring huge roller bags on without being stopped, and my uke takes up hardly any room at all in an overhead compartment.

I'm glad this guy said this but to be honest, in the past when calling them, if I called five times I could get five different answers. Obviously, either he or the guy at the gate was wrong. Who knows which one though, and I still don't feel comfortable so I'm hoping to get a response to my email so I know whether I'm bringing a uke or leaving it at home. :(

Last edited:
I just came back from Kauai with a large Tenor sized hardcase on Alaska airlines.

No problem carrying it on, in fact the flight attendent put it in a closet in first class for good keeping for me.
I don't know if it's less than 45 inches, as it's a fairly large hardcase, but they never even measured or asked.

Cheers,
Skottoman

I have found that pretty much it depends on the people at the gate, regardless of policy. I have had someone be very difficult and demand I check something when I had my tenor and a backpack - the backpack had my laptop in it. I ended up pulling just my laptop out, making that my "personal item" and my tenor was my carry-on, and was forced to check my backpack at the gate, even though just three days prior, same airline, same flight, same plane, it was no problem. I explained about TSA and musical instruments and that it was fine three days ago, etc, but that person would not budge, and I had to pass through her to board the plane.

I strongly suspect the OP encountered someone enforcing the policy as they understood it - and no amount of documentation will change that person's mind.

Yes, I always marvel at the bulk of some things that seem to get on the plane with no problem, acoustic guitars, people with GIANT frame backpacks, rolling bags that there is no way they fit in that little "size gauge" thing they have, especially since they charge for checked baggage now so people are carrying more on the plane.

I have brought an ukulele, usually a tenor in a hard case or gig bag, on pretty much every flight I have taken in the past five years (about 30), and have always been able to get it on the plane with me, so I would not worry about it too much.

Like many things, sometimes it comes down to the person enforcing, unless the airline comes out with a hard rule requirement. For instance, I think it's Spirit Airlines that will begin charging $100 for "any" carry-on that won't fit under their seat. I've been stopped at London Heathrow by security for my normal carry-on not fitting in their test box. Only time before or since that I was stopped for that bag. Some airline employees will help you, some will hold you to the letter. I've travelled many times on Alaska Airlines with multiple tenors or sopranos with no problems and sometimes with additional help from the crew.

I'll probably be flying with a tenor (fingers crossed) from Hilo to Honolulu on Saturday. I'm REALLY hoping I don't have to check it. I think I'd worry about it the whole time. I'll update with how it goes.

I just got an email response from Hawaiian: "If your ukulele fits in the overhead bin or under the seat, you will be allowed to carry it on. Thank you."

I am totally printing out that email and bringing it with me. Hopefully this means we are all still okay bringing our ukes as carryons and maybe the guy that spoke to the OP was just trolling him or wrong.

I just got an email response from Hawaiian: "If your ukulele fits in the overhead bin or under the seat, you will be allowed to carry it on. Thank you."

You should post that message here as an image for everyone.

Top Bottom