PDA

View Full Version : New Uke Policy on Hawaiian Airlines

hiyajoe
05-14-2012, 06:38 PM
I recently went on a trip to visit my family on Oahu. I brought my Lanikai tenor to play for a program and also purchased an amazing Tenor Kanile'a with Spalted Sapwood Koa while I was there.

Upon checking into my return flight at the Honolulu Airport, one of the attendants came to tag my check in baggage and proceeded to tell me that in the near future I would no longer be able to take any ukulele as a carry-on and would have to check it in or be charged a fee. I inquired as to why, since the size and weight of both of my ukes together(my only carry-ons), were less volume and weight than my carry-on suitcase. He responded, "because it's too big." I wasn't quite satisfied with that answer, but he wasn't interested in further explanation.

An Ukulele fee on Hawaiian Airlines. Anyone else heard of this?

ricdoug
05-14-2012, 06:55 PM
It's the length of the tenor. A soprano in the right case will work. Ric

Zenin
05-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Most airlines limit by fixed dimensions with 9"x14"x22" being common, sometimes 24" (mostly smaller domestic airplanes). Basically it must be able to fit under the seat...and they've been making seats smaller and smaller.

A few specify by total linear length, allowing for long, skinny items. It sounds like they might be switching to fixed dimension.

22" is pretty much a soprano uke already, so adding a case it would be "too big".

But checking an instrument scares me...I can't figure out why...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Trinimon
05-14-2012, 07:00 PM
WHAT?! Good to know and thanks for the heads up. Later in June, I'll be in Ohahu before flying over to the Big Island and then back to Oahu before heading home and I'll be taking Hawaiian Air for my inter-island flights. I was planning on picking up my uke at the start of my trip so I could have something to play with and get a good two weeks to see if it needed fine tuning but if I'm gonna get dinged both flights, I might just pick it up at the end of my trip before I fly out. If it's like $10 per flight, I could eat that but if it's like crazy airline rates like $50 one way, I'll seriously reconsider. I guess I'll call Hawaiian Air the first couple days I'm in Oahu to find out.

mds725
05-14-2012, 07:30 PM
That would suck. I'm supposed to be going to Hawaii to perform with one of my ukulele classes, and I would want to bring my best ukulele with me. I really don't want to have to check it as baggage.

MGM
05-14-2012, 07:56 PM
It's sad if it's true that the only Hawaii based airline is now. Starting to discriminate against us ukes....I have flown all airlines and never had. A problem...

wickedwahine11
05-15-2012, 04:44 AM
Wow that is news to me! I fly Hawaiian multiple times per year, and always carry a tenor uke with me. I will definitely be calling them today to ask about this policy.

Also, you said check it or pay a fee. Did that mean you could opt to keep it as a carryon and pay a fee to do so? I am not about to check a K tenor in a fiberglass case. So that would mean I would never take a uke again. Seems messed up when Southwest, Delta, United and American never have a problem. I always take Hawaiian to Hawaii but that might change.

Raygf
05-15-2012, 04:56 AM
I helped a friend get started on ukulele this spring and when he returned to England he checked and found out that British Airways would not let him take a tenor uke as carry on. He took back the tenor he had purchased and bought a soprano. I find it a bit ridiculous with what some people are allowed to drag on a plane as carry on, that a tenor ukulele, which I have traveled with at my feet many times, would not be allowed.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
05-15-2012, 07:58 AM
I used to hand deliver ukes to Oahu and tie it in with a mini vacation. Looks like those days are over and I'll be staying home now. Any other airline I can see having such a policy, but Hawaiian????????

uke42
05-15-2012, 08:24 AM
I was planning on taking my super concert or one of my tenors to Hawaii when I fly there on Hawaiian Airlines in December. So that I don't have to pay to check-in my uke(s), I'll have to buy a new one while I'm there. Yeah I know it doesn't make any sense but in my simple mind it most definitely justifies getting another one so that I'll have something to play while I'm there ;). UAS sucks sometimes :)

Gillian
05-15-2012, 08:29 AM
Here's Hawaiian Airlines policy for musical instruments:

MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS
Musical instruments (including brass, percussion, string, or woodwind, but excluding piano, harp, tympani, organ, and amplifiers/speakers used in conjunction with electronic instruments) will be accepted as checked baggage subject to the provisions of Rule 195 (L). (One item of musical instruments is defined as one musical instrument.) When in excess, musical instruments will be subject to the excess baggage charge for a single piece, whether or not presented as a single piece."

Here is the link to the TSA's policy on musical instruments: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1235.shtm

So, even though the TSA allows 1 musical instrument, 1 carry-on and 1 personal item, they are not interchangeable.

wickedwahine11
05-15-2012, 08:58 AM
I emailed Hawaiian today (mainly because if they say I can still carry it on I want to print that out -- a phone call isn't proof of anything). I'll write here to update what I hear back.

I'm just really surprised they would change that. I have seen guitars on flights, let alone ukuleles. I always see at least two or three people with ukes onboard Hawaiian and I've even taken two tenor cases before.

That really sucks if they changed it. I guess I won't stay Pualani with them and might start flying Delta then. Or just won't bring a uke anymore. :(

janeray1940
05-15-2012, 09:01 AM
in the near future I would no longer be able to take any ukulele as a carry-on and would have to check it in or be charged a fee.

Am I understanding correctly - you could still carry it on if you were willing to pay the fee? Personally I don't have as much of an issue with the fee as I would with checking it in (which I absolutely will not do). I would gladly pay the fee if it meant my uke would not be out of my sight.

wickedwahine11
05-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Am I understanding correctly - you could still carry it on if you were willing to pay the fee? Personally I don't have as much of an issue with the fee as I would with checking it in (which I absolutely will not do). I would gladly pay the fee if it meant my uke would not be out of my sight.

Ditto. I'll pay whatever the fee is if they just want their stupid baggage fee. But they aren't getting my uke out of my possession. I'm going to call them now and ask. Sigh. These stupid things concern me to no end, and I'm due to go on Hawaiian in three weeks I just don't want them confiscating my KoAloha or Kamoa tenor from me when I do.

EDIT: I just got off the phone with a Hawaiian representative and he said that as long as it is within the 45 linear inches it is okay to carry on, though I might be required to loosen the strings (you can see their contract of carriage limits liability due to string tension). I'm probably stretching that on my tenor case but since it is a slim case, I might have a chance. If it fits, I'm totally bringing a printout of the 45 inch policy, along with a cloth tape measure.

He said he didn't see any updates re: musical instruments on the baggage policy -- they do have a change coming up on June 1 where you now have to claim your luggage between flights and reenter security if you are flying Hawaiian plus another carrier -- you won't be able to check it through on both flights.

If I take a uke, I will probably wear it on my back so that hopefully the gate agent doesn't even see it when I board. Then toss it up into the overhead as soon as I get on the plane.

It is annoying as hell considering I've seen people bring huge roller bags on without being stopped, and my uke takes up hardly any room at all in an overhead compartment.

I'm glad this guy said this but to be honest, in the past when calling them, if I called five times I could get five different answers. Obviously, either he or the guy at the gate was wrong. Who knows which one though, and I still don't feel comfortable so I'm hoping to get a response to my email so I know whether I'm bringing a uke or leaving it at home. :(

Skottoman
05-15-2012, 10:18 AM
I just came back from Kauai with a large Tenor sized hardcase on Alaska airlines.

No problem carrying it on, in fact the flight attendent put it in a closet in first class for good keeping for me.
I don't know if it's less than 45 inches, as it's a fairly large hardcase, but they never even measured or asked.

Cheers,
Skottoman

Pueo
05-15-2012, 11:25 AM
I have found that pretty much it depends on the people at the gate, regardless of policy. I have had someone be very difficult and demand I check something when I had my tenor and a backpack - the backpack had my laptop in it. I ended up pulling just my laptop out, making that my "personal item" and my tenor was my carry-on, and was forced to check my backpack at the gate, even though just three days prior, same airline, same flight, same plane, it was no problem. I explained about TSA and musical instruments and that it was fine three days ago, etc, but that person would not budge, and I had to pass through her to board the plane.

I strongly suspect the OP encountered someone enforcing the policy as they understood it - and no amount of documentation will change that person's mind.

Yes, I always marvel at the bulk of some things that seem to get on the plane with no problem, acoustic guitars, people with GIANT frame backpacks, rolling bags that there is no way they fit in that little "size gauge" thing they have, especially since they charge for checked baggage now so people are carrying more on the plane.

I have brought an ukulele, usually a tenor in a hard case or gig bag, on pretty much every flight I have taken in the past five years (about 30), and have always been able to get it on the plane with me, so I would not worry about it too much.

wconley
05-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Like many things, sometimes it comes down to the person enforcing, unless the airline comes out with a hard rule requirement. For instance, I think it's Spirit Airlines that will begin charging $100 for "any" carry-on that won't fit under their seat. I've been stopped at London Heathrow by security for my normal carry-on not fitting in their test box. Only time before or since that I was stopped for that bag. Some airline employees will help you, some will hold you to the letter. I've travelled many times on Alaska Airlines with multiple tenors or sopranos with no problems and sometimes with additional help from the crew.

haolebrownie
05-15-2012, 03:18 PM
I'll probably be flying with a tenor (fingers crossed) from Hilo to Honolulu on Saturday. I'm REALLY hoping I don't have to check it. I think I'd worry about it the whole time. I'll update with how it goes.

wickedwahine11
05-15-2012, 07:57 PM
I just got an email response from Hawaiian: "If your ukulele fits in the overhead bin or under the seat, you will be allowed to carry it on. Thank you."

I am totally printing out that email and bringing it with me. Hopefully this means we are all still okay bringing our ukes as carryons and maybe the guy that spoke to the OP was just trolling him or wrong.

thedannywahl
05-15-2012, 08:14 PM
I just got an email response from Hawaiian: "If your ukulele fits in the overhead bin or under the seat, you will be allowed to carry it on. Thank you."

You should post that message here as an image for everyone.

weerpool
05-15-2012, 08:40 PM
thats why i only bring a soprano and fly Alaska air. its a win win sitch.

Ukulele JJ
05-16-2012, 01:38 AM
Note:

http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/26/flying-with-instruments-gets-easier-for-musicians/

JJ

coolkayaker1
05-16-2012, 01:41 AM
thats why i only bring a soprano and fly Alaska air. its a win win sitch.

I go one better: soprano RISA stick!

Plainsong
05-16-2012, 01:56 AM
Then you need to use some of the weight allowance in your luggage for an amp...

coolkayaker1
05-16-2012, 05:17 AM
Then you need to use some of the weight allowance in your luggage for an amp...

Honeytone and 3ft cable = 1 lb.

best to play ampless, it's all the others on the plane and in hotels want to hear, anyhow. ideal travel uke.

watrr
05-16-2012, 06:46 AM
You should post that message here as an image for everyone.

Highly agree with thedannywahl

Plainsong
05-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Honeytone and 3ft cable = 1 lb.

best to play ampless, it's all the others on the plane and in hotels want to hear, anyhow. ideal travel uke.

Unless you want the full sound that the Risa is actual of giving, and not a sound that everyone scoffs at and calls a toy. I love the Risa, and if you don't need many clothes, there are some small acoustic-ready amps to choose from, but there is a real trade-off.

(Roland Mobile Cube, Vox .. I forget the name, the one replacing the da-5 with actual acoustic capability. The Lunchox acoustic...)

ricdoug
05-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Here's my Ovation Applause UAE20 acoustic electric soprano carry on with a Vox DA5 in the luggage:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Ukulele530.jpg

pingraham
05-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Public Law 107–71
107th Congress

Section 135
"It is the sense of the House of Representatives that—
(1) the Under Secretary of Transportation for Security
should develop security procedures to allow passengers transporting
a musical instrument on a flight of an air carrier
to transport the instrument in the passenger cabin of the
aircraft, notwithstanding any size or other restriction on carryon
baggage but subject to such other reasonable security procedures,
terms, and conditions as may be established by the
Under Secretary or the air carrier, including imposing additional
charges by the air carrier;

Tell them it's the law.

Aloha,
pete

singh44s
05-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Unless you want the full sound that the Risa is actual of giving, and not a sound that everyone scoffs at and calls a toy. I love the Risa, and if you don't need many clothes, there are some small acoustic-ready amps to choose from, but there is a real trade-off.

(Roland Mobile Cube, Vox .. I forget the name, the one replacing the da-5 with actual acoustic capability. The Lunchox acoustic...)

Is the Vox you mention the MINI3 (http://www.voxamps.com/us/mini3/), or the AGA4-AT (http://www.voxamps.com/us/aga/aga4at/)?

Plainsong
05-18-2012, 12:59 PM
The mini3. Isn't the aga4 kinda huge, being a tube amp and all? Ok, so is the Lunchbox, but the very name says thats a lunchbox.

AussieAsh
05-18-2012, 03:11 PM
That's rough - I hope it's not going to be standard on all airlines. I would certainly not want to check my ukulele into cargo. I think a small child would have a better chance of surviving in the cargo hold than an ukulele.

ricdoug
05-18-2012, 03:24 PM
The mini3. Isn't the aga4 kinda huge, being a tube amp and all? Ok, so is the Lunchbox, but the very name says thats a lunchbox.

My Mini3 goes with me almost everywhere now. It's smaller and lighter than my DA5's and more versatile. Ric

singh44s
05-18-2012, 04:39 PM

The specs on the site say that the aga4 is a half inch larger than the mini3.

Plainsong
05-18-2012, 06:11 PM
My Mini3 goes with me almost everywhere now. It's smaller and lighter than my DA5's and more versatile. Ric

I haven't had the amp dilemma yet since we haven't flown anywhere. The Vox would be smaller, probably lighter than the Mobile Cube but you gotta give props to the Roland for versatility. Plug in a mini-to-RCA, flip the switch to Audio, and you have speakers. The weight trade-off sucks especially for long haul trips though.

ricdoug
05-18-2012, 08:17 PM
On International flights my baggage has been limited to 44lbs. The 6lb difference in weight from the Mini3 to the AGA4 allows room for other items. The Mini3 has an AUX input for CD/MP3 players. Ric

Plainsong
05-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Yes, but the one speaker, it's not stereo.

ricdoug
05-19-2012, 05:22 AM
True that, Plainsong. It amazes me how Roland gets such a spacious stereo sound out of amps when the speakers are so close together. You can really hear and feel the stereo sound with the Roland BA-330's, even in a large setting.

My Roland Acoustic Chorus AC-33 and Roland Cube Street's travel with me locally. Ginny had his Mobile Cube at the Southern California Ukulele Festival at his food booth last year. Do you use a microphone with yours? If not, try:

http://www.frys.com/product/6460952?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://images.frys.com/art/product/big_shots/6460952.big.jpg

I use one with my Mini3 for a quick and easy setup:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/VoxBatteryAmps6.jpg

wickedwahine11
05-19-2012, 06:29 AM
Hey guys, let's try to veer back on topic here please. The amp discussion, while interesting, is not very relevant.

mds725
05-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Hey guys, let's try to veer back on topic here please. The amp discussion, while interesting, is not very relevant.

Thanks Staci! While I appreciate how a discussion of amps arose from a discussion about traveling on airplanes with ukuleles, my own concern is bringing an ukulele to Maui to play at an ukulele festival with one of my Hawaiian music classes, and I don't think showing up with a Risa stick and an amp would make them happy. The amp discussion is interesting but, but I'm afraid it won't help me figure out how to get expensive and breakable acoustic ukulele to the islands.

gyosh
05-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Thanks Staci! While I appreciate how a discussion of amps arose from a discussion about traveling on airplanes with ukuleles, my own concern is bringing an ukulele to Maui to play at an ukulele festival with one of my Hawaiian music classes, and I don't think showing up with a Risa stick and an amp would make them happy. The amp discussion is interesting but, but I'm afraid it won't help me figure out how to get expensive and breakable acoustic ukulele to the islands.

Bring the pineapple tenor! Mine is going to the Oahu Festival, but I'm flying Alaska.

ricdoug
05-19-2012, 06:09 PM

All conventional tenor ukuleles I know of exceed at least one of the 9"x14"x22" restrictions. My soprano Ovation Applause UAE20 only fits all of those dimensions in the case shown in my travel photo.

Even the Federal Regulations:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1235.shtm

state: “Bring your stringed instruments, within carrier size limitations, as carry-on items.”

If you are carrying an ukulele in a case that exceeds the 9"x14"x22" restrictions, it’s purely a gamble that you will be allowed to bring it as carry on.

In the OP:

I recently went on a trip to visit my family on Oahu. I brought my Lanikai tenor to play for a program and also purchased an amazing Tenor Kanile'a with Spalted Sapwood Koa while I was there.

Upon checking into my return flight at the Honolulu Airport, one of the attendants came to tag my check in baggage and proceeded to tell me that in the near future I would no longer be able to take any ukulele as a carry-on and would have to check it in or be charged a fee. I inquired as to why, since the size and weight of both of my ukes together(my only carry-ons), were less volume and weight than my carry-on suitcase. He responded, "because it's too big." I wasn't quite satisfied with that answer, but he wasn't interested in further explanation.

An Ukulele fee on Hawaiian Airlines. Anyone else heard of this?

The attendant stated “He responded, "because it's too big." I wasn't quite satisfied with that answer, but he wasn't interested in further explanation.”

…so let’s refer back to Federal Regulations:

state: “Bring your stringed instruments, within carrier size limitations, as carry-on items.”

Make sure your cased ukulele will fit within the 9"x14"x22" size restriction. Ric

mds725
05-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Er
Bring the pineapple tenor! Mine is going to the Oahu Festival, but I'm flying Alaska.

I don't think my pineapple tenor came out as nicely as yours did. :) I'm curious to know how Alaska's going to want you to handle your Yoshi-lele or whether you and your uke will be left alone.

Plainsong
05-19-2012, 09:53 PM

Oh, for heaven's sakes, it is actually relevant! It has to do with keeping the weight down so that you can afford to bring clothing when you travel. Musicians often need those pesky things like mics and amps. Ricdug saved a pound or so with his tiny mic idea.

New uke uke uke uke uke uke STRINGS! There, back on every topic of every thread here. Is that better for you or do I get another talking to in the hallway?

consitter
05-19-2012, 10:29 PM
To the principals office with you! Seriously, the airlines are going too far...if we were trying to bring 3 tenors on board I could understand. But hey, anything to make a buck.

beardco
05-20-2012, 12:15 AM
I don't actually think the dimension limitation is the complete issue here. The airline employees don't want to discuss this with you because their actual concern is liability. Certain people have brought what they claimed to be an expensive violin on board and then filed a grievance with the airline for damage. It may be that cabin articles don't fall under the checked baggage liability guidelines. I don't know what the fee will accomplish. Maybe it's intended as discouragement, & maybe if you pay a fee you are somehow entering an agreement regarding responsibility for this item. I'm not going to mention how I know about the liability issue or which airline I discussed this with. It will only result in a slew of phone calls to the airline, denial, blah, blah, blah.

Plainsong
05-20-2012, 02:06 AM
I think it's an attempt to keep weight down, but cram in more people to make more money, and to nickel and dime to make a little more money on top of that.

So there's a choice. You could get a form-fitting gigbag, and take that risk making the uke as small as you can, wear it like a backpack and hope it flies under the radar, and hope you can store it in such a way that it doesn't get smished. The risk being of course that you'll have to check it, or that it will get smished. Or use a proper case and take the risk that it'll have to be checked, and that that case will not survive being thrown and will get crushed anyway. It's all lose-lose.

ricdoug
05-20-2012, 04:45 AM
All four of these ukuleles are soprano. The hard (hard foam) case on the left measures 25" in length and does not meet the “Bring your stringed instruments, within carrier size limitations, as carry-on items.”
9"x14"x22" restrictions. All three of the gig bags on the right measure just under 22" in length. The gig bag on the right has very thick foam protection and is the one I use for carry on for international travel. It always fits in the box they use to determine size requirements.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/UkuleleAirline.jpg

blue_knight_usa
05-20-2012, 05:11 AM
I couldn't figure out why you guys are having so many problems, then I realize none of you have said "slip the flight attendant and gate attendant a 20." Just tell them it's a tip because they work so hard and no one ever thanks them for all their help....and you know this little ol ukulele is not going to take up any more space than the idiot who puts their bad in the overhead with the wheels sticking out to the side and take up all that extra space! ;-)

Cheers
Jay

ricdoug
05-20-2012, 05:21 AM
then I realize none of you have said "slip the flight attendant and gate attendant a 20." Just tell them it's a tip because they work so hard and no one ever thanks them for all their help....and you know this little ol ukulele is not going to take up any more space than the idiot who puts their bad in the overhead with the wheels sticking out to the side and take up all that extra space! ;-)

Cheers
Jay

Your post made me laugh, Jay! :rofl: It was funny, but I'll add this disclaimer for those that don't see it as such:

NEVER bribe airline employees. It's a Federal offense. Ric

seeso
05-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Oh, for heaven's sakes, it is actually relevant! It has to do with keeping the weight down so that you can afford to bring clothing when you travel. Musicians often need those pesky things like mics and amps. Ricdug saved a pound or so with his tiny mic idea.

New uke uke uke uke uke uke STRINGS! There, back on every topic of every thread here. Is that better for you or do I get another talking to in the hallway?

Plainsong, there's really no need to be impolite. Nothing Staci said merited that type of response. Take 7 days and chill out.

Mandalyn
05-20-2012, 10:21 AM
This is how I took my ukulele to Boston last year.

Keef
05-20-2012, 10:51 AM
I can see that their would be a market for a bullet proof hard case just for flying

kauaijim
05-20-2012, 12:13 PM
I called Hawaiian Airlines to ask about this and got no help from customer service, just someone who kept talking about linear inches like a broken record.

I went to Lihue airport and talked to the staff at the Hawaiian ticket counters. A very nice young woman working for Hawaiian seemed shocked and gave me exactly the right answer which was "that's against our heritage and culture, music and the ukulele are parts of who we are..." She checked with a supervisor and nobody in Kauai has heard of a new rule. That's Kauai. I don't trust them in Honolulu, however, so I'm going to have my new baritone Pono shipped rather than carrying it back to Kauai with the next time I go to Oahu.

Those of us who travel on Hawaiian frequently know that each Hawaiian staff has "island rules" about how they do things. Honolulu staff tend to be the strictest about following FAA and TSA rules. I can carry stuff from Kauai that would never get allowed in Honolulu. Another reason to stay away from the crowded rock.

Zenin
05-20-2012, 12:53 PM
I can see that their would be a market for a bullet proof hard case just for flying

Maybe, but just like any other instrument it better fit your uke like a second skin, else the case may survive but the uke won't. If it can move, at all, the case might as well not exist.

This guy flew across the world with a TUBA wrapped in nothing but BUBBLE WRAP! (http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37281) The comments in the thread point out the fact that cases are frequently designed more to protect the case then the instrument inside.

So there may be a lot of merit in going completely the other direction. I especially liked the insight of the last poster,

Horns are shipped as blobs of bubble-wrap, with a nice rectangular cardboard box surrounding everything. The main feature of the cardboard box is that it can be stacked neatly. When shipping (as luggage) it can be an advantage to NOT stack neatly. Odd-shaped pieces often get placed in a bin, and are usually at the top of the pile. A large duffel plus a ready supply of bubble-wrap sounds like a perfectly safe way to ship - as long as you don't mind replacing the bubble-wrap (and perhaps the ripped duffel) after every trip.

haolebrownie
05-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Just brought a tenor sized uke back from Hilo over the weekend on Hawaiian. No problems with it. It was in a hard case. They said that they don't worry about it until the instrument is the size of a guitar. I also had my Hawaiian girlfriend carry it. Figure she'll get harranged less than than the haole guy. :)

consitter
05-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Just brought a tenor sized uke back from Hilo over the weekend on Hawaiian. No problems with it. It was in a hard case. They said that they don't worry about it until the instrument is the size of a guitar. I also had my Hawaiian girlfriend carry it. Figure she'll get harranged less than than the haole guy. :)

That's great to hear. I hope it stays that way.

kapahulu50
05-20-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm on inter-island flights on Hawaiian and mokulele once a week and often take a uke, never had a problem, usually get special care if the overhead bins are filling up. Couple weeks ago the flight attendant asked a passenger to move his bag under his seat to make room for my koaloha tenor in a hard case! Hawaiian also has new planes with tons of overhead space on some of the mainland flights, vs. Alaska flying 737s. My plug for the home team.

mds725
05-20-2012, 08:58 PM

Maybe what I've really needed all along is a Hawaiian girlfriend. :)

Ronnie Aloha
05-21-2012, 03:45 AM
Maybe what I've really needed all along is a Hawaiian girlfriend. :)

That will cost you a lot more than an Ameritage case!

haolebrownie
05-21-2012, 11:22 AM
That will cost you a lot more than an Ameritage case!

Couldn't have said it better myself! :biglaugh: We did get a little special treatment too. The flight attendant closed our bin and just had other people fill the surrounding ones so that no one shoved anything in with our stuff. Luckily, there was plenty of room for everyone.

The Big Kahuna
05-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Large hardshell suitcase. Fill to brim with polystyrene balls. When in Hawaii, fill Uke' with polystyrene and bury it in remainder so no movement is possible. Check luggage.

hiyajoe
05-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Over the years I've read all kinds of baggage policies regarding instruments and airlines. I'm far too removed from my High School geometry class to know how to calculate the "Linear" inch size of my uke case that isn't a rectangle. But I assure you that it's "linear" inch size is less than 50% of the carry-on baggage brought on planes. I just don't see the ukulele as being the target for carry-on "fraud" by Hawaiian Airlines. I guess it's just the easiest target.

Also, for clarification, I'm not clear on what exactly the attendant at the Honolulu Airport was suggesting about a "fee" and such for carrying on a uke. He also didn't make it clear as to how "soon" this would take place. So, I don't know how accurate his comments are. All I know is that he let me take my ukes with me after this discussion. I also have to agree with other comments that the Honolulu staff is significantly more strict about all kinds of baggage policies.

I once had my carry-on full of macadamia nuts and chocolate. They weighed it and said it's too heavy, so I opened moved a couple things to my backpack. Then they said, "Oh, you can put more back in here." So, I went through security and put everything back the way it was.

bborzell
05-09-2013, 07:41 AM
Public Law 107–71
107th Congress

Section 135
"It is the sense of the House of Representatives that—
(1) the Under Secretary of Transportation for Security
should develop security procedures to allow passengers transporting
a musical instrument on a flight of an air carrieru
to transport the instrument in the passenger cabin of the
aircraft, notwithstanding any size or other restriction on carryon
baggage but subject to such other reasonable security procedures,
terms, and conditions as may be established by the
Under Secretary or the air carrier, including imposing additional
charges by the air carrier;

Tell them it's the law.

Aloha,
pete

The law part, as stated here, is actually an expression of congressional intent, which makes the effect of the law murky. The phrase, "It is the sense of the House of Representatives" along with the word "should" as opposed to "shall", as it relates to the expectation that the Undersecretary of Transportation for Security developing security procedures regarding passengers carrying instruments on board, render the statement virtually meaningless.

If, in fact, such security procedures were developed pursuant to this direction from the House of Representatives, then those procedures would be what one would want to wave in the face of an airline employee who is barring the door to the cabin. That is, assuming that the procedures were actually helpful in this instance. Or that they were actually developed and implemented at all. The number of procedures, rules and regulations that are actually developed as a result of legislative intent language pales in comparison to the number that are simply ignored.

Tele295
05-09-2013, 08:01 AM
Here's what I found on HA's website:

Cabin Seat Baggage
If the bag does not fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front, the passenger may be required to check it in. The passenger may also purchase a second seat for their fragile and/or bulky items, ex. guitars, cellos, at the current available rate.

For specific information about bringing a guitar, violin, viola, cello, ukulele, organ, harp, drum set, or other musical instrument(s), amplifier(s) or speaker(s) used in conjunction with electronic instruments, please view our Contract of Carriage.

http://help.hawaiianairlines.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1714/related/1

And the Contract of Carriage says:

Exclusions from Liability
HA assumes no liability for medicines including but not limited to vitamins, dietary supplements, over counter home remedies etc., orthotic devices (surgical supports), money, jewelry, camera equipment, kitchen appliances of any kind, or other valuable or fragile items, including but not limited to items listed below, whether contained in checked or unchecked baggage, with or without the knowledge of HA:

Musical Instruments and Equipment
Guitars, violins and violas, cellos, ukuleles, organs, harps, drums, and other musical instruments and amplifiers or speakers used in conjunction with electronic instruments that are not protected or in carrying cases that are not sufficient to prevent damage during the course of normal baggage handling, or if string instruments do not have their strings loosened prior to transport.

http://www.hawaiianairlines.com/aboutus/pages/carriageruleitem.aspx?cr=230

Tele295
05-09-2013, 08:04 AM
And this from the American Federation of Musicians:

Instruments As Carry-On

Airport security and airline regulations in general have become much tighter and more strictly enforced since the terrorist attacks of 2001. One of the unintended consequences of this clampdown has been the extreme difficulty that musicians traveling on commercial airlines with their instruments face. While the AFM appreciates that the beefed up security measures at airports is needed in this day and age, the union also believes strongly that musicians have the right to freely and conveniently travel the country in order to entertain diverse audiences and earn a living.

The Office of Government Relations was successful in obtaining from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) a commitment to process instruments without any difficulties. Many problems with individual airlines, over which the TSA has no authority, still remain. This office has been negotiating with the Air Transport Association (ATA), the airline trade association, to resolve these problems, but has not yet been successful. This office has asked Congress to bring pressure on the ATA and recently obtained a letter from the Chairman of the House Transportation Committee to the ATA, asking airlines to accommodate AFM members.

In the members only section of AFM.org, you can get a copy of the TSA letter outlining their instrument policy. Many members have found this letter helpful. It is available on this website for free for AFM members only. Although some of our members have had limited success showing the TSA letter to airline personnel, it is important to be aware that the TSA letter only applies to security screening and is not officially recognized by the airlines.

The TSA Letter is located in the On-line library section of myAFM. You must be logged in to view it.

http://www.afm.org/departments/legislative-office/instruments-as-carry-on

hawaii 50
05-09-2013, 08:05 AM
I have flown from San Francisco to Oahu and back 5 times in a year and a half...on Hawaiian Airlines..each time with a tenor ukulele in the overhead..no problems

Tele295
05-09-2013, 08:27 AM
I have flown from San Francisco to Oahu and back 5 times in a year and a half...on Hawaiian Airlines..each time with a tenor ukulele in the overhead..no problems

That's good to know. I can hide my Soprano in my knapsack, but I bet they make my wife check her Baritone. When we travel with our gypsy guitars, we usually gate-check them in sturdy cases. Haven't had a problem with that, and it is right there waiting for me when I disembark. I find Virgin America to be the most accommodating with gate-checking hard cases.

Tele295
05-09-2013, 08:37 AM
I just found out we are taking United to Kauai, not HA. FYI, here are United's policies:

Musical instruments

Musical instruments can be carried on board or checked as baggage. If necessary, a seat can also be purchased for an instrument.

Carried on board

A small musical instrument can be carried on as a personal item. If the musical instrument appears too large or irregularly shaped to fit under the seat or in the overhead compartment, it will not be accepted for in cabin stowage.

Checked as baggage

Instrument should be in a hard shell case to protect it during normal handling.
Excess charges apply if checking more than the baggage allowance.
Oversize charges apply to musical instruments that measure 90 - 115 linear inches.
Overweight charges apply to musical instruments that are over 50 pounds.
Musical instruments over 70 pounds will not be accepted.
If the instrument is over 115 linear inches, contact United Reservations.
In addition to the above polices, stringed instruments should have the strings loosened to protect the neck from damage due to expansion and contraction which result from temperature variations.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/fragile.aspx

Newportlocal
05-09-2013, 08:40 AM

Good to hear Len. Especially since I am a tenor guy. Appreciate the post.

hawaii 50
05-09-2013, 08:51 AM
That's good to know. I can hide my Soprano in my knapsack, but I bet they make my wife check her Baritone. When we travel with our gypsy guitars, we usually gate-check them in sturdy cases. Haven't had a problem with that, and it is right there waiting for me when I disembark. I find Virgin America to be the most accommodating with gate-checking hard cases.

If you are worried..do like me..

I get the seats in the back of the plane..so overheads completely empty when you get in..unless the baritone to big for the overhead I see no problems..just walk into the plane like not a big deal,if you ask to many questions they might make you gate check it,,what a pain..

Pueo
05-09-2013, 10:55 AM
I have been flying with ukuleles for years. Both to/from Hawaii, within Hawaii, and around the mainland. I have never been asked to check my ukulele. Sometimes I travel with my wife and we each have an ukulele. Once, on a small commuter flight from Chicago to Louisville, KY - a smaller than 737-sized plane - the gate attendant said I needed to either check my backpack or my ukulele, I could not take both on the plane. It was a Pono Tenor in a hard case. I surrendered my backpack which was gate-checked at no charge and brought my ukulele on the plane. It did not fit in the small overhead bins and stuck out beneath the seat, so the flight attendant put it in the closet for me and gave it back when I landed. Same flight, same plane in the return direction, no one said anything at all, and I rode with both my backpack and ukulele on board.
I really believe it has to do with attitude, and smiles go a long way. Don't argue with the attendant. Just politley suggest another way. Each individual will interpret the rules differently. I think quoting FAA regulations and printing out TSA forms will only mark you as difficult. Just be willing to compromise and say that you will gladly check whatever else you brought, but sorry my ukulele must go in the cabin with me, and smile.

ksiegel
05-09-2013, 10:57 AM
I have traveled often on United , in planes sized from Lilliputian commuter to767, and the O'ahu tenor case for my Sceptre fits in every overheard compartment, as does the Fluke's Gator hard case.

I've also noticed that sitting and playing in the gate area, especially where the gate crew and flight crew can see/hear you tends to create a little conversation, and can get a little "extra" attention from the crews.

-Kurt

(Of course, that was specifically in O'Hare and SFO...)

I just found out we are taking United to Kauai, not HA. FYI, here are United's policies:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/fragile.aspx

haolejohn
05-09-2013, 11:12 AM
I was planning on taking my super concert or one of my tenors to Hawaii when I fly there on Hawaiian Airlines in December. So that I don't have to pay to check-in my uke(s), I'll have to buy a new one while I'm there. Yeah I know it doesn't make any sense but in my simple mind it most definitely justifies getting another one so that I'll have something to play while I'm there ;). UAS sucks sometimes :)

Unless you sell it..you will still be faced with the fee on the return trip. But i still like the excuse to buy another one:)

haolejohn
05-09-2013, 11:14 AM
If you are worried..do like me..

I get the seats in the back of the plane..so overheads completely empty when you get in..unless the baritone to big for the overhead I see no problems..just walk into the plane like not a big deal,if you ask to many questions they might make you gate check it,,what a pain..

YEp...act like you know what you are doing:) I like it b/c it works. Since we travel with a 2 year old now, we have been getting the very back seats. More convenient.

wconley
05-09-2013, 05:04 PM
This is why I always fly Alaska! Not even a question about us bringing baritones and tenors.

PTOEguy
05-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Another tip for what it is worth...

My sister is a violinist and is 5'1 tall (on a tall day). She always has her husband carry her violin because it looks smaller relative to him. She also carries a copy of a TSA policy that equates musical instruments with works of art - which can be carried in the cabin.

lancemanion
05-09-2013, 08:16 PM
This topic comes up every so often and I try repost the following post I made a couple of years ago. I am in Japan right now about to head back to Hawaii and I have a unique insight into this topic. Hope this helps:

As an Airline Pilot I couldn't resist adding my 2 cents. I bring my Kala travel uke with me EVERYWHERE. I often jumpseat on airlines other then my own so I have lots of experience in this area. Here is my advice:
1 - NEVER, EVER check or gate check your ukulele - NEVER
2- TSA - The rules state that you can carry on one instrument in addition to your carry on and personal item. They don't always know the rules, they are poorly trained and are performing an unskilled task for a meanial amount. Therefor you can surmise the level of employee they recruite. Arguing does no good, simply ask to speak to their supervisor and tell them to refer to TSA.gov website section pertaining to: Transporting Musical Instruments, then politly explain the rules.
3 - Kindness and niceness go along way, however the gate agent (the person who collects the tickets) is your biggest obstacle. If the gate agent attempts to make you gate check your uke tell her, "I carry it on all the time, if it doesn't fit I would be happy to gate check it", however don't forget rule one.
4 - Now that you have gotten past the gate agent there are two more obsticles. First, if you are carrying something bigger then a soprano there may be a lack of overhead bin space. The only way you have to combat this is to be ready to que up as soon as the gate agent calls ready to board. Boarding is usually done by seating sections, one first etc. (unless your flying on southwest) be the first in your section to board to ensure overhead bin space.
5 - If there is no overhead bin space this brings us the next obstacle, the flight attendant. If there is no more overhead space there are several options. There are always coat closets, even on the smallest planes. On some of the smaller planes the coat closet is reserved for the crew. Again kindness goes along way. The crew wants to get the plane out on time and not get blamed for a delay. Ask nicely if you can place it in the coat closet, if they tell you the closet is full or there is no closet ask if you can place it in the crew's closet. If they still refuse, tell them on the last flight the Captain placed the uke in his closet and ask if they will ask this captain if he will do the same. As a Captain I always accomodate instruments, even full size guitars. If you still don't have any luck, look for open seats on the plane. An instruments may be place in an empty seat as long as: 1)The case has some kind of handle to secure the instrument to the seat with the seat belt 2) The instrument is not placed in an exit row 3) The instrument is not so tall as to block any signs (no smoking, fasten seat belt etc.)
If after using all this information you still are being asked to check or gate check you uke, ask your self this question, is the health of my uke more important then the time it would take to wait for the next flight. If you value your uke ask to be put on the next flight, you will probably have a different gate agent and a different flight attendant. I hope this helps all you traveling musicians. If you have any more question feel free to send me a private message.

McLovin
06-02-2013, 06:23 PM
I tried reading most of this thread, but didn't get to all of it and wanted to add my recent personal experience regarding ukes and Hawaiian Air.

I live on the Big Island and traveled to Oahu last week for a couple days in the concrete jungle. I brought my tenor uke and it didn't even raise an eyebrow with TSA or the airlines on the flight out or return flight. I had it as a carry on in a soft bag.

I hope this helps.

Captain Simian
06-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Maybe we can take a page out of Bill Kirchen's book (if the name is unfamiliar look him up on YouTube).

If you can live with a concert sized uke and just want something to keep you entertained on a trip, pick up one of the Epiphone Les Paul ukes. They don't sound too bad unplugged and they have bolt on necks. Loosen the strings don't completely remove them, slap a capo on the neck, then remove the neck screws. Once you can fold it in half it should fit in a backpack easily or at least take up very little room in your checked bag. When you arrive at your hotel kindly ask your desk clerk if their maintenance would kindly let you borrow a Phillips head screwdriver for 2 minutes so you can put your uke back together. No maintenance on duty? Ask to borrow a metal spoon or butter knife.

Hope this helps.

mds725
06-02-2013, 09:44 PM
On my last flight back from Hawaii, I carried a Kamaka tenor in one of those red Kamoa fiberglass cases. I got to the check-in area early, and the Hawaiian Airlines agent asked me casually what was in the case. I told her it was an ukulele and because she was interested in it, I took it out of the case and played it for her (in retrospect, I wish I had played the airport-apopropriate "Aloha Oe," but I think I just noodled around). As I was waiting in the TSA line a little later, the agent ran up to me to hand me two free drink tickets.

This anecdote has nothing to do with whether Hawaiian Air allowed me to take my ukulele on the plane (it did), but I think it might illustrate how a pleasant encounter might help if problems with brining the ukulele on the plane arise.

MGM
06-02-2013, 10:48 PM
I just flew Hawaiian Airlines to New York five days ago and carried on kala double gig bag. I have never had a problem with the Ukelele on the plane. Just don't ask and don't tell. I usually just hang the gig bagel or my shoulder and push my roll on

And yes The double gig bag does not pass any airlines carry-on size

molokinirum
06-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Hawaiian Airlines......so it aint so!!!!!! :confused::mad::confused:

Tigeralum2001
06-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Hawaiian Airlines......so it aint so!!!!!! :confused::mad::confused:

It's not so! Just flew them all around the islands; they have some of the least strict enforcement of carry-on policy I have seen. Their website does make it sound like they might prevent you, though. Flying Hawaiian is a little like flying in the 80s before deregulation. The seats aren't as close as other airlines, a little more legroom, and free food. I'll be flying them when the routes match my destination.

hawaii 50
06-04-2013, 07:55 PM
It's not so! Just flew them all around the islands; they have some of the least strict enforcement of carry-on policy I have seen. Their website does make it sound like they might prevent you, though. Flying Hawaiian is a little like flying in the 80s before deregulation. The seats aren't as close as other airlines, a little more legroom, and free food. I'll be flying them when the routes match my destination.

Hey CJ glad you had fun on Hawaiian Airlines..don't give away the secrets.. free food/meals and drinks(sodas and jucies,coffee etc,,) also..nobody does this anymore..never had a problem carrying on my ukes..just act like you know what you are doing..

glad you and the family flew back safely..hope to see you again..

MGM
06-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Hey CJ glad you had fun on Hawaiian Airlines..don't give away the secrets.. free food/meals and drinks(sodas and jucies,coffee etc,,) also..nobody does this anymore..never had a problem carrying on my ukes..just act like you know what you are doing..

glad you and the family flew back safely..hope to see you again..

I just got back from New York on Hawaiian a few hours ago and had two very expensive uses in a kala double gig bag....when the flight attendant noticed I was telling another passenger to be careful and not hit my gig bag with his luggage he immediately said he would stir it away safely in a closet. And yes it does not pass regular carry on dimensions...I don't think most would have any problem with Hawaiian... I really liked that the flight attendant recognized the value of the carry on items I had

hawaii 50
06-04-2013, 09:22 PM
I just got back from New York on Hawaiian a few hours ago and had two very expensive uses in a kala double gig bag....when the flight attendant noticed I was telling another passenger to be careful and not hit my gig bag with his luggage he immediately said he would stir it away safely in a closet. And yes it does not pass regular carry on dimensions...I don't think most would have any problem with Hawaiian... I really liked that the flight attendant recognized the value of the carry on items I had

Welcome home bruddah Mike,,hope your flight was nice/comfortable and you feeling well..
take at least a day off..see you soon

Gillian
06-05-2013, 05:37 AM
I have also never had a problem carrying ukes that were 'oversized" on Hawaiian Airlines. I'm puzzled why they stopped flights to Honolulu from San Jose. Now they only fly to Maui from here.

I know it's a silly thing, but there's a soft drink that no other airline offers (that I know of)...POG!!!

hawaii 50
06-05-2013, 05:52 AM
I have also never had a problem carrying ukes that were 'oversized" on Hawaiian Airlines. I'm puzzled why they stopped flights to Honolulu from San Jose. Now they only fly to Maui from here.

I know it's a silly thing, but there's a soft drink that no other airline offers (that I know of)...POG!!!

Hi Gillian
POG=Passion Fruit,Orange,Guava

Tigeralum2001
06-05-2013, 07:48 AM
They have usually 1, sometimes 2, non stops a day from SJC to HNL. I flew one two weeks ago.

Gillian
06-05-2013, 01:08 PM
They have usually 1, sometimes 2, non stops a day from SJC to HNL. I flew one two weeks ago.

That's great news. The HA management must have rethought their scheduling strategy. My friend who makes frequent trips to Oahu had to take Alaskan Airways the last time she went, which was in March.

wendellfiddler
06-20-2013, 07:27 AM
It seems like it's airport/tsa subjective. In May I got stopped trying to carry on a tenor that had a hard case inside a violin case size cover. I've carried on violins for 30 years never a problem. This time I was boarding Boston - when I took it out of the cover and carried the case uncovered, a supervisor said that was ok because it would fit under the seat. However since then I've gone through a half dozen other airport tsa checks and not one has stopped me for it. Bad day in Boston I guess.

Doug

Linz
06-22-2013, 04:59 AM
Good timing in this thread . I'm going to Europe next month, and there's no way in hell I'm checking my uke.