Don't envy professional players (Jake, Aldrine, James). Make real goals!

Vladim

Reaction score
Listening Jake Shimabukuro I thought: They (pro-players) spend so much time practicing no wonder they achieve such exquisite performance. When an amateur compares himself with a pro he follows the wrong path and may come to despair and even abandon the uke. What a crucial mistake it will be! The amateur loses fun and confidence trying to gain the level he never attains.
Let's be realistic. Playing decently is enough. Let's admire masterpieces (Jake's 'Gently weeps') but we can play too though not in a sophisticated way. Who cares?

What do you think, guys?

Last edited:
Never thought that. I picked up golf and never thought I would Tiger. Most of us are happy just to play the uke!!

Hi Vladim,

you make an excellent point mate. I totally agree. Surely as amateur, backyard players our goal is to simply enjoy making music. The time spent doing that is fulfilling enough. Music can be lots of things - the fun in sharing, in playing together, therapeutic reasons, relaxation - just learning the basics can be blissful. We shouldn't seek always to emulate these people when our skill and ability can not ever attain these levels, or surely we are defeated before we even begin. Yes! Set realistic goals! I enjoy strumming a 3 chord song as much as trying to do anything complicated, that is where real happiness lies for me anyway.

I am reminded of the lovely quote that is written on the classic Harold Teen vintage uke from the 1930's:
"Music self played is happiness self made"

This is a beautiful and true statement if ever there was one! Thanks for the wise words brother.
:eek:ld:

I try to admire, not envy them.
My goal has always been to just play a little better than I did the day before, and in my case, there is so much that needs work! Someday, after I bump into the limits of my ability in one technique or style, the diversity of music will provide other challenges. There will always be something else to try to improve, but at my own pace and for my own enjoyment. :D

The main thing is to enjoy playing, and to be curious about music of all sorts. Some people become virtuosos, some do not. I have heard quiute a few boring virtuosos over the years - and some stunning musicians whose technical skills have been idiosyncratic, to be kind. Musicians are GOOD or BAD, and conventional virtuosity has nothing to do with it, really. For instance, I guess Andres Segovia would have been stupefied if he ever saw Bukka White play a guitar with a kitchen knife for a slide. Both men were virtuosos in their own right, as well as musicians who had something to share with their listeners. Their techniques were different, to say the least, but was one more of a virtuoso than the other...? Every player has to find some way of playing the stuff he or she wants to convey. The willingness to share something with the listener is what it's all about, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
The willingness to share something with the listener is what it's all about, as far as I'm concerned.

I agree. In music and in life.
Well said.

Eugene's point is well taken. Right now I'm just happy that I can play coherently! playing is one of the few times in my life when I am not stressing and truly happy.

I totally agree that the vast majority of UU'ers are playing in their living roms rather than on a stage. I'll take mediocrity over not playing any day of the week.

Last edited:
I tell customers and students about the same thing. People look at professional musicians, athletes, or whatever and don't connect that these people have put decades into their craft. Take Jake, he has been playing uke for about 31 years or so. And a good portion of that I bet is hours of practice a day, and diligent studying. Plus take that him playing the ukulele is his job, that is what he does. Where the most of us have jobs, and other responsibilities.

I'm a firm believer that most all of us on this site could play like Jake, it's not going to happen over night, and it's only going to happen if you can dedicate yourself to several hours a day practicing and studying, everyday.

Interesting article here on Wall Street Journal: How to Be Creative

I agree with His Sinfulness (that sounds weird!) Admire, not envy. Most people that good have sacrificed a lot of other pleasures in the world to be that good. Personally I wouldn't trade my other enjoyments and my wife to go from a jolly plunker to a master player.

Last edited:
Vladim, your points are valid. I believe that most Uke players don't envy the pros like Jake. But they sure do copy them. I suppose that is flattering imitation for the pro, but we do often fall short in the attempt.

I march to the beat of finding songs I like (regardless of genre) and see if there is a way I can make them playable on the Uke. It is much more liberating, and I enjoy the challenge of transposing a song.

If playing wasn't fun, I don't believe we would do it.

Some offtopic thoughts: Isn't it wonderful that a guy from Russia in 2 hours gets replies from USA, Australia, Korea and Norway? I love playing the ukulele but I love even more that it connects people from all over the world. Such a tiny and simple instrument makes faraway strangers near and dear to me. What else miracle do you want?

Some offtopic thoughts: Isn't it wonderful that a guy from Russia in 2 hours gets replies from USA, Australia, Korea and Norway? I love playing the ukulele but I love even more that it connects people from all over the world. Such a tiny and simple instrument makes faraway strangers near and dear to me. What else miracle do you want?

Yup - pretty cool.

I picked up golf and never thought I would Tiger
Agree. I play hockey and never thought to become Wayne Gretzky.:) Still with uke I've often dreamt to equal with pro-musicians. Now I understand clearly impossibility of those dreams

Surely as amateur, backyard players our goal is to simply enjoy making music. The time spent doing that is fulfilling enough. Music can be lots of things - the fun in sharing, in playing together, therapeutic reasons, relaxation - just learning the basics can be blissful. We shouldn't seek always to emulate these people when our skill and ability can not ever attain these levels, or surely we are defeated before we even begin. Yes! Set realistic goals! I enjoy strumming a 3 chord song as much as trying to do anything complicated, that is where real happiness lies for me anyway.
Pleased to hear you think the same way as I do. Oh my God, Tasmania! The brink of the world to me. Yet I can hardly find a man in my native town with the population of 185000 who could understand me better then you.

My goal has always been to just play a little better than I did the day before, and in my case, there is so much that needs work! Someday, after I bump into the limits of my ability in one technique or style, the diversity of music will provide other challenges. There will always be something else to try to improve, but at my own pace and for my own enjoyment. :D
I couldn't agree more with every word.

Some people become virtuosos, some do not. I have heard quiute a few boring virtuosos over the years - and some stunning musicians whose technical skills have been idiosyncratic, to be kind. Musicians are GOOD or BAD, and conventional virtuosity has nothing to do with it, really.Every player has to find some way of playing the stuff he or she wants to convey. The willingness to share something with the listener is what it's all about, as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah, that's right. Swiftness and flexibility of fingers aren't sufficient. You need passion to infect listeners. Music must come out from heart, from soul.

Yesterday I ventured out to attend a middle school choir and music recital. This is a city school, not the best in the area, but certainly not the worst. I expected mediocre talent, acceptable for said elementary school age group. The majority of the recital was just that. Some entertaining songs, a cute recorder ensemble, and a violinist. Then, a 10 year old boy took the stage to play a piano piece. I expected something along the lines of "Three Blind Mice." I mean, this kid's hands couldn't span half an octave, how much could he pull off? Well, what I heard astounded me. It was an incredible classical piece, swift and complex. Something I would have expected to come from someone much older and more experienced, performed flawlessly. He received a standing ovation. Turns out he's something of a prodigy, works his little rear off, and has an incredibly demanding Russian piano teacher. This kid can go places. THAT is the kind of person that depresses me. Aldrine, IIRC, didn't start seriously playing until he was a bit older, and worked his way to where he is. To a certain extent, he shows that achieving that level of proficiency CAN be a reasonable goal. This little prodigies that are already better than I could ever hope to be? They make me want to cry and sell my instruments. I'm ashamed to call myself a musician in their presence.

But the fact of the matter is, especially in the ukulele community, we do not play to impress. We do not perform in classical competitions, compete for first or second chair, or practice 6 hours a day. We are not featured soloists at black-tie events. Hell, we're lucky if we can get the general population to take us seriously. What we are, what SHOULD matter to us, is the personal joy that these four little strings bring to each and every one of us. Almost everyone here has a story of how the ukulele changed their life, and while there are many accomplished classical musicians that could blow us away through sheer prowess, not every one of those people can say the same. I'm proud to call myself a musician, and a ukulele player at that.

I guess my point is... We should always aspire to be better. Comparing yourself to the best can be motivating for some and heartwrenching for others. But seeing as our identity as ukulele players is different from the average musician's, your yardstick should be yourself. How you played yesterday, how you improved today, and where you want to end up tomorrow. Don't let anyone else dictate that for you.

Yesterday I ventured out to attend a middle school choir and music recital. This is a city school, not the best in the area, but certainly not the worst. I expected mediocre talent, acceptable for said elementary school age group. The majority of the recital was just that. Some entertaining songs, a cute recorder ensemble, and a violinist. Then, a 10 year old boy took the stage to play a piano piece. I expected something along the lines of "Three Blind Mice." I mean, this kid's hands couldn't span half an octave, how much could he pull off? Well, what I heard astounded me. It was an incredible classical piece, swift and complex. Something I would have expected to come from someone much older and more experienced, performed flawlessly. He received a standing ovation. Turns out he's something of a prodigy, works his little rear off, and has an incredibly demanding Russian piano teacher. This kid can go places. THAT is the kind of person that depresses me. Aldrine, IIRC, didn't start seriously playing until he was a bit older, and worked his way to where he is. To a certain extent, he shows that achieving that level of proficiency CAN be a reasonable goal. This little prodigies that are already better than I could ever hope to be? They make me want to cry and sell my instruments. I'm ashamed to call myself a musician in their presence.

But the fact of the matter is, especially in the ukulele community, we do not play to impress. We do not perform in classical competitions, compete for first or second chair, or practice 6 hours a day. We are not featured soloists at black-tie events. Hell, we're lucky if we can get the general population to take us seriously. What we are, what SHOULD matter to us, is the personal joy that these four little strings bring to each and every one of us. Almost everyone here has a story of how the ukulele changed their life, and while there are many accomplished classical musicians that could blow us away through sheer prowess, not every one of those people can say the same. I'm proud to call myself a musician, and a ukulele player at that.

I guess my point is... We should always aspire to be better. Comparing yourself to the best can be motivating for some and heartwrenching for others. But seeing as our identity as ukulele players is different from the average musician's, your yardstick should be yourself. How you played yesterday, how you improved today, and where you want to end up tomorrow. Don't let anyone else dictate that for you.
Brother Phil, I'd like to shake your hand one day. :)

Wow Phil, that was deep and I whole heartedly agree. Allow me to bring in the newbie perspective. Ukuleles are such great instruments for what they bring out in people, this website/forum being a great example... a warm community. For me uke conjures up the community spirit, the aloha smile and tunes to make people remember to be happy. For me, I'm happy when I've strummed two chords in succession successfully in key and without any buzz. I'm keeping it simple. :music:
Monica

Top Bottom