buying advice

jazzer

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I picked up a soprano ukulele in Hawaii in February this year after getting the uke itch. I am now in the market for a baritone but not sure what makes I should be looking at. I have a budget of $1000.00 to $1500.00 and would like to purchase another authentic Hawaiian instrument (preferably). Any advice/help would be grateful. Thanks in advance.

I have a Kamaka baritone that I love. At $1,345 at Hawaii Music Supply (although currently out of stock), that would fall within your price range. Kanile'a also makes a baritone ukulele (K-1 for $1,199 or K-2 for $1,349 at ukeladymusic.com). Ko'olau also makes Ko'olau baritone ukuleles (MSRPs beginning at $1,150) in Hawai'i as well as Pono ukuleles that it designs for manufacture in Asia (MSRPs beginning at $459).

It's tought to advise you, though, without knowing what you like in an ukulele. For example, Kanile'a ukuleles have a slightly wider fretboard than Kamakas, and Ko'olau and Pono ukuleles have a thicker neck. Do you have a neck preference? There are also a lot of custom builders in Hawai'i (ranging in prices from very expensive to very affordable) that might suit your needs.

I have a Kamaka baritone that I love. At $1,345 at Hawaii Music Supply (although currently out of stock), that would fall within your price range. Kanile'a also makes a baritone ukulele (K-1 for $1,199 or K-2 for $1,349 at ukeladymusic.com). Ko'olau also makes Ko'olau baritone ukuleles (MSRPs beginning at $1,150) in Hawai'i as well as Pono ukuleles that it designs for manufacture in Asia (MSRPs beginning at $459).

It's tought to advise you, though, without knowing what you like in an ukulele. For example, Kanile'a ukuleles have a slightly wider fretboard than Kamakas, and Ko'olau and Pono ukuleles have a thicker neck. Do you have a neck preference? There are also a lot of custom builders in Hawai'i (ranging in prices from very expensive to very affordable) that might suit your needs.

Thanks for that quick response. I think the wider the fingerboard and thicker the neck the better as I have large palms. I guess I just need a place to start really. I'm a amateur guitar player and I'm really getting into the whole uke mojo. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Hi everyone. I picked up a soprano ukulele in Hawaii in February this year after getting the uke itch. I am now in the market for a baritone but not sure what makes I should be looking at. I have a budget of $1000.00 to $1500.00 and would like to purchase
another authentic Hawaiian instrument (preferably). Any advice/help would be grateful. Thanks in advance.
Welcome jazzer,
If I ever had that kind of money I would play before I pay. I'm not sure where you live but perhaps others will chime in. Have you a music store close to where you live. As I said before...try before you buy....when that amount of money is involved.
1931jim

Hey there Jazzer.

Glad to hear you've been hooked in by the uke!

You mentioned that you want a Baritone uke that is authentically Hawaiian. Well, here's a thought... The Baritone ukulele was invented in the late 40's by Herk Favilla in New York City (or in the early 50's by Eddie Connors and Arthur Godfrey depending on who you believe). Unlike smaller Hawaiian Koa ukes it was typically made from mahogany. So maybe an "authentic" baritone uke is not Hawaiian??? Just some food for thought.

Personally, I think of the Baritone as a distinctly different instrument from smaller ukes as it lends itself to Linear tuning better than Re-entrant tuning and has a much deeper, fuller sound. The ukelele of my dreams is a Ko'olau Koa Tenor. But the baritone uke of my dreams will be made by a local Luthier from with rosewood back and sides and a cedar top.

For the price range you're talking about, you could get a luthier to make one to your personal taste! Check out Mya Moe for example.

Good luck!

If you've already got a Hawaiian soprano, why not get a one-of-a-kind baritone made lovingly right here on the mainland? Like this one.

Have to agree with Flyke on the baritone origins. On that note, don't overlook vintage Gibsons and Martins in this category - they are superbly made instruments with great tone and will come in significantly under your budget.

DSC_0079-1.jpg

Top Bottom