Low g on high g

BIGDB

Reaction score
I've been messing around with some low g/a stuff on my high g ukulele. By that I mean I have it tuned way down and I think it sounds fine so why would I ever need to actually make it low g if I can just tune down. Don't know if I'm not getting it or something. Please help

Thanks

you mean you have it tuned down a whole octave!? that's crazy... maybe. If it sounds okay then who cares? Doesn't it feel like the string is really really loose when you play? Does it buzz against the fretboard?

It Actually does not buzz but it does feel very loose but I would rather do that then adjust the nut and never be able to go back.

When I ordered my Pono tenor last week, I asked Andrew from HMS a question about Low G/High G. He said this: "High and Low G strings are both .032 thousanths of an inch so they can be switched with no additional setup."

Is this true for all Low G/High G string sets? I was pleasantly surprised when he told me this.

I use aquila hi and low g sets. I have never had to modify my nut. Never even knew I had to. I have no buzzing issues whatsoever.

If you use a "wound" low G string you will not have to file the nut.
If you use an "unwound" low G you may have to.

Can't believe it's possible to tune an ukulele string an octave low. Sound sample, please.

When I ordered my Pono tenor last week, I asked Andrew from HMS a question about Low G/High G. He said this: "High and Low G strings are both .032 thousanths of an inch so they can be switched with no additional setup."

Is this true for all Low G/High G string sets? I was pleasantly surprised when he told me this.
Huh??? With a low G set, the G is the thickest string. With high G, the G and A are ~the same diameter. So either you misunderstood what he said, or he gave you wrong info.

If you use a "wound" low G string you will not have to file the nut.
If you use an "unwound" low G you may have to.
Another "huh?" from me. Wound strings are generally thicker than non-wound, so a thicker string is the one that might necessitate a nut adjustment.

Can't believe it's possible to tune an ukulele string an octave low. Sound sample, please.
Really! A high G string tuned an octave lower would flop like a loose rubber band. I just don't see how it's even possible.

Another "huh?" from me. Wound strings are generally thicker than non-wound, so a thicker string is the one that might necessitate a nut adjustment.

A wound "low G" string on a ukulele is thinner than an unwound one. Because it's more dense, I believe.

Yes, it has been my experience that a wound low G is thinner than a non-wound low G.
mine too. I switch out strings all the time, and have not had to file the nut. I prefer the nonwound G because of the string squeak, but sometimes the wound ones sound better. The one that came with the T2 set was really nice, but the squeak got to me so I replaced it with a worth unwound

Top Bottom