PDA

View Full Version : Time for a 'Test' to see if you're really still a Beginner

Uncle Rod Higuchi
05-16-2012, 07:21 AM
Search for 'Self-Examination' to locate Uncle Rod's Self-Examination Tool for Ukulele Proficiency.

Play through the 'Test' and have FUN!

keep uke'in',

Vladim
05-16-2012, 08:00 PM
I'm glad to say I've passed the test after almost a year of playing .

ukuloonie
05-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks for this tip I can pass this on to my wonderful wife and friends

HarmonicaBruce
05-17-2012, 03:17 AM
Well I failed miserably. I have the guitar chords memorized, and I'm trying to translate in my head. Anyway, I just want to have a few songs I can do, and those seem to be mostly in the key of "C".

Uncle Rod Higuchi
05-17-2012, 05:16 AM
Way to go; You're welcome; and No worries!

It's a SET-UP (Self-Examination Tool for Ukulele Proficiency... get it?) and mostly for fun.

Actually, I've had a sneaking suspicion that many who thought and called themselves 'Beginners"
weren't giving themselves the credit they really deserved. We're such a non-self-promoting
group... aren't we? Well, some of us :)

Anyway, I figured that if I gave this 'Test' to a stranger and they could do it, well, I surely
wouldn't label them a 'Beginner', would you?

So there you have it. Please receive it in the fun manner in which it is being sent out...
tongue in cheek!

Enjoy and keep uke'in',

His Sinfulness
05-17-2012, 06:14 AM
I did ok until the third line. I hate trying to find Bb...

Patrick Madsen
05-17-2012, 07:23 AM
Thanks Rod, that was fun. Also is a great exercize for chord changing. Ya did well!

Uncle Rod Higuchi
05-17-2012, 07:29 AM
Watch out for hidden rocks (oops, Bb's)! :)

I'm glad you were able to work your way through the Test.

Can't use the "B"(eginner) word to describe yourself anymore!

keep uke'in',

Dorothy
05-21-2012, 01:25 PM
I failed miserably.
But now I have downloaded bootcamp to do :)

Uncle Rod Higuchi
05-22-2012, 05:47 AM
No worries.

Thanks for taking the 'Test'... in good humor.

I hope you will find the 'Boot Camp' helpful and useful :)

keep uke'in',

-UP-
05-23-2012, 05:54 AM
I don't remember all the chords yet, so I made this:

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9388/chords.png

kamaoleBrian
05-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Uncle Rod - Thanks for the "test". After just one month...well, I'm not quite there. I can get through the first line at 2-strums per, but the second line has the Bm and I'm sure I've never encountered one before. I like it, though. I'll revisit in another month and see how I do! How am I gonna know if I don't try, right? :)

Aloha!

Uncle Rod Higuchi
05-29-2012, 05:03 AM
Great attitude, Brian!

Go for it!

Exactly! The best way tomake progress along the journey to Ukulele Proficiency
is to, well... play your ukulele. Familiarity with your uke by virtue of the time you
spend/invest in playing it and playing with it, will reap you great dividends in a
relatively short time.

keep uke'in',

Tootler
05-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Definitely not there. Partly because for what I want, I've not really had an incentive to learn some of the chords, or at least to become proficient using them as I have rarely needed them. I am starting to deal with some of my problem areas and am getting there.

Mostly I'm having fun working out accompaniments for folk songs and learning chords for songs where previously I didn't need to.

Now when I learn a new song, I not only have to learn the words but also the chords to play.

jmw
05-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Uncle Rod, just want to say thanks for your ukulele chord charts... I printed them all out and play through each key as if it's its own "song." It gets me playing (and knowing) more unusual chords, as well as practicing transitions between those chords. I think it's the best practice a relative newcomer can get.

And yes - every now and then I do "test" myself, and all goes rather well until that Bm shows up!

Uncle Rod Higuchi
05-30-2012, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the kind words, jmw.

Just keep saying to yourself, "Bm is my friend; Bm is my friend." or "Look out! Here comes the Bm!!" :)

Please feel free to share the Boot Camp pages as well as the FREE Songbook with anyone who is
interested in learning to play the Ukulele. BTW, the FREE songbook will demonstrate how to apply
the Boot Camp Practice Sheet "Method" to learning any song.

keep uke'in',

veejayblox
06-01-2012, 08:38 AM
i can only imagine me failing this test miserably, unless i play it in extreme slow motion. the memorization part ain't happening for me.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
06-01-2012, 09:50 AM
No worries about memorizing unless you really want to.

The POINT of the "Test" is to facilitate eye-hand co-ordination, so that
when you see a chord name, you are able to (un-consciously) form the
chord quickly and accurately.

Also, it was designed to be FUN!

Muscle memory and chord memorization will come with time. Or, if it doesn't, no worries.
Many of us still play and perform with sheet music in front of us. Un-professional? Perhaps.
Does it really matter? Depends on who's PAYING for the performance and if that's part of
what they're paying for. :)

So far, most of my gigs have been WITH music stand and sheet music. I could probably
play most of the songs from memory (by heart) but, well, it is comforting and does give one
a sense of security, esp when selecting songs at random one after the other. :)

keep uke'in',

veejayblox
06-02-2012, 08:14 AM
yes i would say i'm still a beginner, even so i did do better than i had thought i would. still slow, and the memory thing didn't catch as predicted. it was fun and as for playing music goes, as long as it happens.

BlueLatitude
06-05-2012, 05:26 AM
I don't remember all the chords yet, so I made this:

Thanks, UP, that's really helped me! I have a hard time sometimes remembering which is B flat and which is Bm, having all the shape images for the exercise on one sheet lets me read ahead a bit and my fingers are ready to make the transition when it comes.

Of course I like the charts with each key all written out too!

Uncle Rod Higuchi
06-05-2012, 05:52 AM
Just a reminder, placing the chord diagram at only the FIRST occurance of the chord
is supposed to help you REMEMBER the chord formation when you encounter it again
as a chord NAME only :)

-UP- if you'd re-do your chord chart to show each chord form only ONCE (at the FIRST
occurance), it may help you (Force you) to remember the FORM when next you meet it.
And it will be on the sheet... at its First occurance. Just my 2 cents :)

I hope the 'TEST' helps more than hinders your progress!

keep uke'in',

cheesegasuki
06-05-2012, 06:35 AM
Almost got it. I need to work on some of my transitions, but at least I've managed to memorize all the chords.

Thanks Rod!

BlueLatitude
06-05-2012, 06:48 AM
Just a reminder, placing the chord diagram at only the FIRST occurance of the chord
is supposed to help you REMEMBER the chord formation when you encounter it again
as a chord NAME only :)

For me it does on the full-page exercises that you give, but on the "test" I always have trouble with the B's here, because I am still a beginner:

D Bm G A7 D G D C7
F Dm Bb C7 F Bb F D7

I'm working on it!

Uncle Rod Higuchi
06-05-2012, 07:02 AM
Way to go 'guys'!

I hope no one feels under pressure.

It's supposed to be FUN.

It's simply a way to 'enjoyably' test one's progress based
on simple chords that (I believe) would be of general benefit
for (dare I say) ALL uke players to know... well :)

Be NOT discouraged... but ENcouraged to

keep uke'in',