Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Rosewood

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Myrtle

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters
Well, I'm a huge Mahogany fan. I like many woods for many different reasons, including the curl, flame and the other "desieased" woods for their character. But, even though Mahogany is considered a boring (in appearance) wood, with not much character, I love it for that reason. I love the look and feel of the rich, warm, color of a nice piece of Mahogany.

I recently saw a post on what is your favorite tone wood and that left me wondering what is your favorite looking wood

I'll 2nd mahogany. I really like the old dark looking stuff.

This is an entirely Blonde, Brunette, or Redhead discussion. I like! I also agree with Mandarb.

Hands down, curly koa. Behold, Glyph insturments PEGS my covet meter with these beauties:

Glyph1.jpgGlyph2.jpg

I've got a trip to visit some old Air Force buddies and meeting at our old SAC base in Louisiana this summer. I may bring back some old drift cypress wood back with me. I have been thinking about building a uke using old drift cypress. Not sure how that would sound, but I think it would look amazing..

My ears don't disagree, but my eyes do. That's the funny thing, dessert sometimes looks better than it tastes! My solid mahogany sounds GREAT, but I like curly wood. All of it. Maple, Koa, I don't care. The fiddle-stripes make me drool.

In fact I saw Antebellum Instruments had an old Cuban Curly Mahogany S.S. Stewart for sale last week. My UAS checked on it and it sold...even curly Mahogany looks stunning...

I love the sparkly black plastic on my Dolphin.

For looks, I definitely like anything that starts with "spalted". Maple, mango, monkeypod, you name it.

I've got a trip to visit some old Air Force buddies and meeting at our old SAC base in Louisiana this summer.

Greetings Tudorp, I'm a "Big Stick" man myself. I was at Griffiss, NY through the 80's.
Back on topic... I like mahogany for a ukulele. It just looks right.

Then I would assume you know what the acrynym "BUFF" is for? lol

Greetings Tudorp, I'm a "Big Stick" man myself. I was at Griffiss, NY through the 80's.
Back on topic... I like mahogany for a ukulele. It just looks right.

Birdseye Maple

I like the look of vertically arranged and grouped columns of wood. sequoia-trees-national-park.jpg

Loved em. Will always have a place in my heart for them. The only issue I had with them, was when the crew chiefs set off paint bombs in the wheel wells to get them white again. All our old wiring harnesses and markings were always covered in white paint. Made it tough to work our wiring issues when all the wires and numbers were all the same.. lol

Yeah, filthy monsters they are too. Still a fun job though.

if it's just aesthetics, then hands down, maple and walnut.

Top Bottom