New Kanilea 6 string tenor delux

Capt Roy

Reaction score
I ordered a Kanilea six string tenor yesterday. They did not have a standard K-1 that would be ready in time for the Ukulele Fest in July so the gave me the premium for about the same price as a standard. I pick it up at the factory on July 17th. I got the satin finish.

I know each of is different but I just love the sound of a 6 string. While I was at the Festivle last year I picked up a Pono 6 string and play it more than my Kamaka H3 tenor. I'm going to put it for sale in the next couple weeks.

I'm still deciding weather to have them install a pick-up. I'm thinking I may want that later and I'm sure they can do a better job than I can.

Does anyone else have one that can advise me on the strings. They said they would put on whatever I wanted.

Can't wait!!

I'll be at the festival too!

Congratulations on your new ukulele! Its great that you got a premium for about the same price as standard. I hope you post photos of the new uke after you receive it. It should look amazing.

I don't have a Kanile'a so I can't advise you on strings or a pick-up. (In fact, I thought my UAS had been vanquished by the addition of a Mya-Moe tenor and an assembled-by-me Rick Turner designed tenor pineapple uke kit, but I've been hearing so much about Kanile'as recently that I'm going to visit the factory the next time I'm on Oahu and I'm sure my resistance to buying a Kanile'a will be very low.)

I wanted to go to the festival in July, but some unexpected recent traveling due to family stuff and my ukulele class's invitation to play at the Maui Festival in October caused me to cancel my plans to travel to Oahu in July. Be sure to look for and hang out with gyosh (Gary) at the July festival. He's good people.

By the way, I don't have a 6-string, but I do have an 8-string ukulele and I love the fullness of the sound, although sometimes I wonder why 8-trings don't octave the A string the way 6-strings do.

Again, congratulations on the soon-to-be-your new ukulele!

Last edited:
My son has Southcoast's on his 6 string custom Sailor tenor and it sounds amazing.

I have Southcoast's on my Kamaka Liliu and love them. But I have it tuned a little differently than the traditional six string. Wound low G, C's in octave and the A's in unison. I also installed a MiSi pickup in it.

IMO if the A course on an 8 string were octaved, it would be to bassy (if that's a word). If you want a unison A course, you can get Southcoast's 8 string set and install either the low g or hi g string. Ko'olau offers this config (unison A and low g) on their string sets.

Top Bottom