My first clawhammer

BasicUke

Reaction score
I am pretty new to the Uke in general, but I am VERY new to clawhammer. After watching Lil Rev and Aaron Keim do clawhammer tutorials and having Aaron Keim email me some clawhammer tab, I did Boil That Cabbage Down.

Tips and advice appreciated!

It sounds good. However, you want to avoid flicking your fingers and thumb around... the motion should be mostly coming from the forearm as you stroke the strings. I learned to clawhammer a 5-string banjo and the technique used applies to the ukulele as well. Mike Iverson is a great clawhammer banjo player who has one of the best tutorials on the clawhammer stroke. Listen to it and see if it helps... it did for me.
http://www.bluesageband.com/Tab MP3s/right hand technique.mp3

It sounds good. However, you want to avoid flicking your fingers and thumb around... the motion should be mostly coming from the forearm as you stroke the strings. I learned to clawhammer a 5-string banjo and the technique used applies to the ukulele as well. Mike Iverson is a great clawhammer banjo player who has one of the best tutorials on the clawhammer stroke. Listen to it and see if it helps... it did for me.
http://www.bluesageband.com/Tab MP3s/right hand technique.mp3

The forearm and not the wrist? I thought Little Rev and Aaron Keim both explained it like knocking on a door using ONLY wrist. Did I get it wrong?

So, keep the wrist stiff and use the forearm?

The stroke comes from the forearm/wrist... The hand should remain in a relaxed claw shape with the fingers not flicking around...is all I'm saying. Listen to Mike Iverson's MP3 he is good at explaining the classic clawhammer banjo stroke.

The stroke comes from the forearm/wrist... The hand should remain in a relaxed claw shape with the fingers not flicking around...is all I'm saying. Listen to Mike Iverson's MP3 he is good at explaining the classic clawhammer banjo stroke.

Thanks! I'll work on that!

check out the clawhammer uke section at ezfolk.com as well - some great tutorials and tabs..... I'm just starting with this the last several months myself, but one thing I found that made a big difference for me was being sure to keep my thumb extended as much as possible - don't let it curl in towards your palm, try to keep it straight. Once I became more conscious of that, I was really able to get the rhythm a little smoother and started to pick up speed.....

Last edited:
My only advice is to MAKE A LONGER VIDEO. :D You left me wanting more so you must be doing something right.

I actually taught myself CH on ukulele and then got a banjo so I don't know if the techniques should be different, but it looks and sounds good to me.

And skidoo, I'm also subscribed to Guy Wolff's channel. Good stuff.

..... and watch all of this guy's videos - one of my favorite clawhammer players that I've discovered.....

here's his channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/guywolff/videos

Yes... that's how it's done. His hand staying in the claw shape with most of the movement coming from the forearm and wrist. I love the pull-off notes. That's the classic style and I love the modal sound.

great start brother....from little things big things grow :)

My only advice is to MAKE A LONGER VIDEO. :D You left me wanting more so you must be doing something right.

I actually taught myself CH on ukulele and then got a banjo so I don't know if the techniques should be different, but it looks and sounds good to me.

And skidoo, I'm also subscribed to Guy Wolff's channel. Good stuff.

Thanks Tim! I actually spend a lot of time watching YOUR videos! Someday I hope to play Ukulele like a Bad@ss! :D

Jim

Yes... that's how it's done. His hand staying in the claw shape with most of the movement coming from the forearm and wrist. I love the pull-off notes. That's the classic style and I love the modal sound.

I see what you mean! Thanks, Hobo! I think my angle is different too...

Top Bottom