New Uke Day! (KoAloha Tenor)

nscafe

Reaction score
I just got back from Hawaii, where I picked up this beauty from Jason at Lahaina Music. I was really hoping to be able to compare some Kamakas, KoAlohas, and Kanile'as while I was in Hawaii, but I never did see any Kanile'as. I almost didn't get to try any Kamakas either (not a tenor size anyway), but Jason was kind enough to let me play his personal uke so I could see how it played/sounded compared to the KoAloha that I eventually bought.

He also said that this was the last of three (If I recall correctly) that he had in stock, which makes me wonder what the other two looked and sounded like, because I absolutely love this one! It was also the last one he had at the old price point, which was helpful for persuading my wife that this was a good deal... It's strung low G, which is new to me, and I'm really loving it. Without further ado, here are some pictures. It's got a glossy finish, so I had a hard time trying to minimize that and really capture the reddish color of the koa.

IMG_0836.jpgIMG_0838.jpgIMG_0839.jpgIMG_0841.jpgIMG_0842.jpg

Edit: Here's a little sound clip recorded on my Blue Snowball mic. Simple strumming (I Will Follow You Into The Dark).

http://soundcloud.com/nateekins/follow-you

And here's a little video shot on my Flip camcorder out on my back patio where I attempt an extremely simple finger-picking song. :)

Last edited:
Awesome. I haven't seen too many koalohas with that much grain.

What a beauty~congrats!!

Congrats on the uke. That is some really cool looking grain.

Thanks everybody. I haven't gotten a chance to play it too much yet, but I've enjoyed it so far. I'll get a video/sound sample up soon.

Most beautiful KoAloha I've ever seen! Enjoy!!

VERY NICE!!!! Congrats!

Wow - that's gorgeous!

Enjoy!

John

Top Bottom