D'Addario T2 strings on non Tenor sizes

bazmaz

Reaction score
Ok, read plenty of good stuff about the T2s on tenors, so ordered a pack and slung them on my Kanilea K1 T. They are still settling but I like them already. Playability and nice feel of the Pro Artés but much more chime and ring.

Anyway - has anyone any experience how the other sizes sound, soprano and concert? Namely on a Koa Koaloha soprano and a Pono Mahog Concert

(yes I know I know i suggest people make their own minds up on strings, but real world reviews always interesting!)

Didn't you just say this earlier today in another thread.... "I wouldn't recommend to you, rather I would recommend you try some and experiment - trust your own ears. A recommendation is only the view of the person who gave the recommendation, and your uke (even if Identical) your styles and your ears will differ. There is no right or wrong string.

See http://www.gotaukulele.com/2012/05/b...ng-advice.html"

Mandarb - yes, yes I did. So that's why I put the bit in in brackets..... I'm just interested. Doesn't mean I will like them, but always keen to hear opinions.

Or did you not agree with the post I posted in the tech support section?

Anyway I will most likely buy some of the other sets anyway, but it's Thursday night here, and just interested in some views and reviews - they could be good, they could be bad. Incidentally, I did see a comment on another site suggesting they really Didn't like the soprano versions.

Last edited:
Just ordered a set to put on my tenor Fluke. Can't wait to hear the contrast from the Kala Reds (which I like on that uke).

I'm certainly liking the tenor ones. Can see they are not right for everyone though, and suspect the feel may not be right. I like them and with Koa they are working well, but can very much see them sounding overly bright on a spruce top.

Nice to have another brand to test though.

(when I say brand, I mean type - D'Addarios are a bit of a staple in the string world!!)

I certainly wouldn't put them on a Koaloha concert as it is bright already....never tried the pono's though....

No, they're awesome on my Koaloha concert. Finally something other than fishing line to choose from! I had to tighten the screw on the C tuner just a smidge. As with anything, YMMV, but they let the Koaloha sound like itself, with better definition I think.

Can't wait to try these on my Concert Long neck uke!! A friend is picking up 2 sets for me tonight from Pua Pua, and will install them tomorrow!! So stoked :)

Mandarb - yes, yes I did. So that's why I put the bit in in brackets..... I'm just interested. Doesn't mean I will like them, but always keen to hear opinions.

Or did you not agree with the post I posted in the tech support section?

Anyway I will most likely buy some of the other sets anyway, but it's Thursday night here, and just interested in some views and reviews - they could be good, they could be bad. Incidentally, I did see a comment on another site suggesting they really Didn't like the soprano versions.

It does not matter if I agree with your post in the tech support section or not. I just found it ironic that someone asks for a string recommendation and you posted what you did and not even two hours later you ask for a string recommendation.

It is all personnel preference - just like wood selection for a uke....play what you enjoy that sounds and looks good to you.

Enjoy your new strings.

Not really ironic. I believe strongly that people should try several strings and make their own minds up. But if people don't discuss and share opinions of strings they like, nobody would be the wiser that there are alternatives. As such, discussions bring more ideas to the table for people.

Quite agree, personal preference, play what you enjoy, but postings by people saying "yes, I like brand x" can only serve to persuade more players to try more strings.

It does not matter if I agree with your post in the tech support section or not. I just found it ironic that someone asks for a string recommendation and you posted what you did and not even two hours later you ask for a string recommendation.

It is all personnel preference - just like wood selection for a uke....play what you enjoy that sounds and looks good to you.

Enjoy your new strings.

I happen to believe that there's more snake oil than not, that goes into the marketing of uke strings. I tend to favor conpanies that are trying to actually inovate, but still love me some fluorocarbons sometimes. I wrote a big ole blog post about it that no one's read. Still though, it doesn't mean I can't share my opinion on favorite strings or ask others for their opinions. The thing is, if you think you sound better, then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy because you play better.

Baz is sorta saying the same thing, I don't get why there needs to be an attack.

Top Bottom