NUD - Holy Kawasaki - Mike has outdone himself on this one.

OldePhart

Reaction score
So, today I received my Mainland satin mango soprano. I think everybody here knows I'm a fan of Mainland ukes so we'll get that out of the way right up front. I'm also a pretty steady customer so I wouldn't be surprised if Mike cherry-picked the whole stable for me so we'll get that out of the way as well.

Even so, this thing is mind-bogglingly good. I'm not joking when I say I got out my 2.5x magnifying hood trying to find anything that qualifies as a flaw. Now, I don't usually go to that extreme to try to find a flaw with a new uke - in fact I'll often buy a second if it will save me a few bucks because I'm just not a bling guy. Still, this thing was just too good (and light) and I don't believe anything from anybody deserves a perfect score - if I was a teacher I'd be that guy the kids all hate :).

I thought I'd finally found a tiny flaw in the side at the heel but what looked like it might be a tiny tool mark is, I think, a tiny insect track across the grain in the wood. Considering how hard I had to look to find it I don't think that quite qualifies as a flaw.

Well...it took a while but I finally found my "flaw." If you hold uke so the neck is pointed at the floor and look down the string holes in the back of the bridge you can see where the finish was scraped away so the bridge could be glued down. LOL Yeah...that's not really a flaw either but it was the best I could do.

The reason this uke got such a close inspection is not because I usually feel it necessary to inspect a uke that closely. The reason it got such a close inspection is because the moment I lifted it from the box I was impressed with how lightly it's built. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's built almost as lightly as my KoAloha. That was what I couldn't believe and why I looked at it so closely.

My Mainland tenors and concert have all been great ukes set up perfectly but they weigh about average for a "factory" uke. This soprano is light enough it was the first thing that I noticed about the uke. In fact, it weighs 12.5 ounces - in contrast the Kala solid acacia pocket uke weighed 11 ounces and my KoAloha longneck soprano weighs 14 ounces (it has a longer neck of course and a slightly larger body so it is still more lightly built than this soprano - but not by a lot).

The back is slightly rounded which really surprised me in a uke in this price range. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems it just has to be more expensive to build a rounded back. I think it's worth it though because it adds strength and allows the bracing to be lighter.

The binding front and back is absolutely perfect.

So, how about sound and playability - the stuff that really matters? Pretty darned good. Better than I expected and I wouldn't keep buying Mainland ukes if I didn't expect them to be pretty good. As has always been the case the intonation at the first fret is very nearly perfect - I say very nearly because the G string slot may need a swipe or two with 600 grit paper to be perfect. It's not something I'm going to touch until I put fluorocarbon strings on it and let them settle, though, because the G# is only pulling about 1-cent sharp with the current strings. The narrower fluorocarbons may fix the "problem" all by themselves. The other three strings are dead on at the first fret.

The intonation up at the twelfth fret is pretty good - not quite perfect but it almost never is until you put in the time to find just the right strings for a particular uke. It's as good as the intonation on my KoAloha longneck soprano and I've compensated the bridge on it.

The action at the bridge is good. I asked Mike just to do a standard setup on this instead of the "dangerously low" action I like on some of my ukes. I did that because I figure as a soprano I'd probably have to strum a bit harder to get volume from it.

So, how is the volume? Again, much more than I expected. With open first position chords I'd say it's very nearly as loud as my KoAloha longneck. Of course, that uke has fluorocarbon strings while the Mainland still has its Aquilas. I know from experience when I switch to fluorocarbon the volume is going to drop and will then be a little less than the KoAloha - but I'd expect it to be less not just because of the difference in price but because the longneck has more vibrating mass.

How about the quality of sound? As mentioned its still got Aquila strings on it and I"m not a big fan of those. It's a little more "brash" than the KoAloha - no, a lot more brash - but I think when I switch to fluorocarbon strings that will change.

I'll do a vid later - it's been a crazy week and this uke is good enough it deserves a proper debut. :)

So, Mike, ya done good, man - for ~$200 clams this little soprano is one heck of an ukulele!

John

MainlandMangoSopranoFront.jpgMainlandMangoSopranoRight.jpgMainlandMangoSopranoBack.jpgMainlandMangoSopranoLeft.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear you are as pleased with your new Mainland as I was with mine. I got a gloss mango concert a while back and was extremely pleased with it, I haven't weighed mine but it feels lighter than my other concerts. I put off buying a Mainland because of the look of the binding in photos, but absolutely love it in person. I wish I'd bought mine much earlier, probably would have saved me some UAS purchases!!

Congratulations on your new ukulele! It sounds like you got a great one! I'm a little disappointed, though, that you didn't post a photo of the insect track along the grain in the wood.

Congratulations on your new ukulele! It sounds like you got a great one! I'm a little disappointed, though, that you didn't post a photo of the insect track along the grain in the wood.

Heh, heh. To do that I'm probably going to have to break out the DSLR with the macro lens and the lights...it's not very big. :)

I put off buying a Mainland because of the look of the binding in photos, but absolutely love it in person.

I'm still not to the point that I can say I love the rope bindings in person, but they do look better than they do in most photos. I also have noticed that I have/have had four Mainlands with gloss finishes and now two with satin. On the two with satin (a mahogany baritone and this mango soprano) I have to say I really don't mind the rope binding - I wouldn't quite consider it an "asset" but it does look much more natural to me. On the gloss ukes it still strikes me as being just a little too much.

All just personal opinion, of course. I know some folks love the rope.

John

Congratulations, John!

Thanks Ralf. I'm still a little boggled - can't hardly put the darn thing down. I've had UU sessions time out on me twice now 'cause I've picked it up to strum a little and ended up getting wrapped up long enough for the session to die. LOL

I don't think I'm going to get a chance to enter week 13 of the seasons but maybe I'll get to debut this puppy for week 14.

John

For me, there's nothing like a custom uke with unique imperfections; it's kind of their soul, their badges of life before reborn a uke. They all are truly one of a kind with each one radiating the energy and focus the luthier spent creating. I feel blessed everytime I pick up my Griffin so your explanation on the relationship with Mike made me smile.

Congrats, Mainland is always one of my first recommendations when asked. Sounds like she's pretty special.

I found one! I found one! I found a real (albeit tiny) imperfection! The light had to hit it just right - I was playing in a mostly dim room with my desk lamp off to the side and it highlighted a little tiny bit of glue or filler or something under the finish on the side of the headstock near the top. Looking at it in full light you can't really see it but side lit it showed up 'cause it's a little shinier than the surrounding wood.

I actually feel better now - I don't have to worry so much about putting the first "ding" in it! LOL Actually, not LOL, I'm serious - I was actually considering evicting my KoAloha or Kiwaya longneck sopranos from their case to protect this thing until its case arrives in a couple of days because it was more pristine then they are. :)

MainlandMangoSopranoRightHeadstock.jpg

Can you spot the imperfection? :) It's "clearly visible" in this shot. Actually, if I'd fiddled with the lighting and used a macro setting on the lens I probably could have made it show up better but if you have to work that hard to see it that's probably cheating. LOL (This is just a full-size crop from the original side image in the first post - before I reduced those images to 25% so they would fit on most folks' screens.)

John

Last edited:
Aloha Bruddah John,
Congrats on your new Mainland soprano ukulele.. I love mine too....mine does not sound brash with my aquilas...in fact I am very impressed with it's sound, playability(plays effortlessly)
and comfort... As for flaws, I bought mine second hand and it was in pretty good shape...It is a Honeybee...weee in fact like you whenever I pick it up, I still cannot put it down....I do think
even at the nice price, it stands up to alot more of the premimuim ukuleles...It has that enjoyment factor that not all ukes have at any price and sounds pretty darn good....I had one question
and called mike once(nothing bad or broken) and he's an awesome guy...thank you for sharing your experience and enthusiam with us...Happy Strummings...

Thanks for the review John. I've been teetering on the fence for a couple of months about getting a new soprano and the Mainland mango was at the top of the list. In fact I was thinking about getting mahogany until a couple of posts from you in a recent "cedar, mahogany, mango" thread, if you remember.

I was also going to get the matte finish. But after a little reading here last night, I think I may go with gloss for the protection and for how it livens up the wood grain.

I may go ahead and order one soon.

Thanks again,
Jason

Congrats John! I might have to get me a Mainland someday...

Hey John. Ain't true without pics. All proud new Papas need to share photos!

Aloha Bruddah John,
Congrats on your new Mainland soprano ukulele.. I love mine too....mine does not sound brash with my aquilas...in fact I am very impressed with it's sound, playability(plays effortlessly)
and comfort... As for flaws, I bought mine second hand and it was in pretty good shape...It is a Honeybee...weee in fact like you whenever I pick it up, I still cannot put it down....I do think
even at the nice price, it stands up to alot more of the premimuim ukuleles...It has that enjoyment factor that not all ukes have at any price and sounds pretty darn good....I had one question
and called mike once(nothing bad or broken) and he's an awesome guy...thank you for sharing your experience and enthusiam with us...Happy Strummings...

Thanks Stan,

I have to admit it doesn't sound as brash to me now as it did just a few hours ago. Maybe the Aquilas soften a little as they stretch in or maybe my ear just got used to it. I'll probably still put fluorocarbon strings on it though just because I know how much sweeter they were on my gloss mango tenor (I eventually found I liked the Ko'olau Gold even more on that one, though).

The other nice thing about the fluorocarbons is they last pretty much forever. The ones on my KoAloha have been on there just shy of a year now and they still sound great even though I play that uke at least a little just about every day.

I'll probably leave the Aquilas on for a few days and switch to fluorocarbon strings about a week before UWC so they'll have had time to settle in.

John

Okay, y'all, I updated the original post with the obligatory pictures. :) Didn't do anything fancy - used natural lighting - or as "natural" as you can get from overhead CFL bulbs and a little fill from a fluorescent workbench light, anyway.

As with my gloss mango tenor the curl in the wood is subtle - depending on the angle you're viewing at and the angle the light is hitting it the curl almost completely disappears or becomes a bit more vivid than is shown here. (I didn't attempt to control the lighting or angle or anything to make the curl especially visible - just popped the uke in my office chair and snapped the pictures.) I guess I should have stopped the lens down a little more for greater depth of field because the headstock is a shade out of focus. But, I didn't have time to fool with that as I really have to put my nose back to the grindstone. :)

John

what a beautiful instrument, i too am a big fan of Mainlands, i have a red cedar tenor and it sounds heavenly, i would not hesitate to buy another one so much bang for your buck, great review as well John

Mainland + Mango = Great Uke. My Mainland mango concert is really bright and responsive. Really one of the best uke deal around.

So, today I received my Mainland satin mango soprano. I think everybody here knows I'm a fan of Mainland ukes so we'll get that out of the way right up front. I'm also a pretty steady customer so I wouldn't be surprised if Mike cherry-picked the whole stable for me so we'll get that out of the way as well.

Even so, this thing is mind-bogglingly good. I'm not joking when I say I got out my 2.5x magnifying hood trying to find anything that qualifies as a flaw. Now, I don't usually go to that extreme to try to find a flaw with a new uke - in fact I'll often buy a second if it will save me a few bucks because I'm just not a bling guy. Still, this thing was just too good (and light) and I don't believe anything from anybody deserves a perfect score - if I was a teacher I'd be that guy the kids all hate :).

I thought I'd finally found a tiny flaw in the side at the heel but what looked like it might be a tiny tool mark is, I think, a tiny insect track across the grain in the wood. Considering how hard I had to look to find it I don't think that quite qualifies as a flaw.

Well...it took a while but I finally found my "flaw." If you hold uke so the neck is pointed at the floor and look down the string holes in the back of the bridge you can see where the finish was scraped away so the bridge could be glued down. LOL Yeah...that's not really a flaw either but it was the best I could do.

The reason this uke got such a close inspection is not because I usually feel it necessary to inspect a uke that closely. The reason it got such a close inspection is because the moment I lifted it from the box I was impressed with how lightly it's built. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's built almost as lightly as my KoAloha. That was what I couldn't believe and why I looked at it so closely.

So you went over the uke with a magnifying glass looking for a flaw because it felt so light? Well, I am glad that you found a flaw and now you can enjoy your new uke.

lol You crack me up! Sorry, but I did get a good laugh at how closely you checked out that new uke. I love my Mainland Mango~ isn't it just beautiful in every way? (almost, for you) I asked for low action, and I do appreciate it. When I changed from Aquilas to Worths, it just came to life. I think it's a must have!
Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats John on the new uke :) wow. i have to send my Ohana Sk35G back to the shop, i only bought it in dec, but i am having terrible trouble withthe c string the last few weeks, have had 4 or 5 different sets of strings on , its making me pull my hair out. i am considering a bruko next.
look forward to seeing and hearing your new uke in action :)

Top Bottom