Need Help ID A Ukulele

nipper27

Reaction score
Does anyone out there knows anything about this Old Ukulele.

Any help is greatly appreciated.:confused:

Click on below to see pics.....:rulez:

Ukulele 1.jpg Ukulele 2.jpg Ukulele 3.jpg

Thanks

nipper27

Last edited:
I don't know what it is but it looks really cool! How does it sound?

Oh my goodness, what an odd little thing. Very pretty. I am interested to read what the experts have to say.

How about an Armadillo shell charango!

Start by checking out whatever is written in the sound hole. I can't make it out. Something manufacturing music house inc.

Start by checking out whatever is written in the sound hole. I can't make it out. Something manufacturing music house inc.
Top line says Style 40
Second line I think reads soul Manufacturer M..
And the last line manufacturing music house inc.
That is about what i can make out .
Thank you
Nick

Hi Nick, welcome to UU!

Interesting little coconut ukulele. Looks like the top is spruce, abalone inlay with a rosewood fretboard. What I find interesting about this is that it looks pretty well made. Usually coconut backed ukuleles are very cheap and unplayable. A lot of effort went into building this little guy, and the neck and fretboard look to be excellent quality.

How much are they asking for it?

I first thought coconut, too. But is it really? I'm sure as heck no expert, but if the sides were hollowed out that much wouldn't you need to reconstruct the body sides with something?

Is it maybe hand-carved from solid wood? I wonder how thick the body is.

Definitely a cool looking instrument that someone put much care and effort into.

Nick,

Are you reading the actual label in-person or interpreting the photos you posted?

I think the "Soul" Manufacturing is actually "Sol," as in "Sun" but I still can't find any info.

Ukeamunga,
I do not have the Uke in yet. It is on its way. I should have it next week. I was looking for more information, right now I plan to keep it. Because I like it. (I am actually a phonograph Victrola collector- & I now live in Hawaii. So maybe I will start collecting Ukes?) as soon as it comes in I will update with more information.

RyanMFT, not planning to sell it just looking for information.

Thanks to everyone.
Nick

Hey Nick, I wasn't looking to buy, just wondering what they were asking for it. Looks like there was a price tag on it.

Sounds like you bought it, let us know what it says on the label when you get it, we might be able to tell you more about it! You should play it!

Hey Nick, I wasn't looking to buy, just wondering what they were asking for it. Looks like there was a price tag on it.

Sounds like you bought it, let us know what it says on the label when you get it, we might be able to tell you more about it! You should play it!
Oh sorry I mis-understood:eek:. It had an auction item # on it. I bought it last week. I may TRY to play it. We will have to see....I was looking at a Victor, and ended up with a Ukulele. But I thought it looked nice also. I will update again, after I get it in.
Thanks!
Nick

Got the Uke in today.

okay I got my little Uke today, and it is stamped style label on the interior of the base, it is dark & a little hard to read.

But looking at it a little closer, I can see UGI UKE (and the word trademark). Style #40, USIC (maybe it was Music? But I cannot see any M.) SOLE Manufacters, Lyric Music House Inc. P.I.

Top has mother of pearl, or abalone. Neck front only looks like Koa.
The base is coconut, with sides in-turning by using another coconut shaped in? Not a solid wood carving. Some minor cracks.

Look like part of Coconut had a 'grain'? Old & cute. I would estimate 50+ yrs old. The maker spent his time- it does not look like a 'toy'.
And it plays.

If any of you have more information or input I would appreciate it.

Nick

Last edited:
Top Bottom