Takes my breath away.

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
I haven't played this uke for some time. But took it out yesterday for a strum. Every time I pull this thing out, it takes my breath away. The tone and sustain of this mahogany is breath taking. I wish I knew what magic it uses. It might be the top being completely carved up, not sure but it's a therory. But, this is a simply amazing uke to me. Love it..

uker.jpg

it's nice when one's been sitting tucked away in bed for awhile and then when you grab it it's like the return of a long lost friend, eh Tony. Then you fall in love all over again. It's really pretty mate and I bet it sounds lovely too. Blessings brother.

It is.. Kinda makes ya wonder why ya haven't made time for it again. I haven't chatting with you for way too long my brother. I hope you have been doing good, and blessed my friend.

Actually it is. It was one of his builds that I took and reworked & set up. I have had several of his ukes, but none of them has ever sounded and played like this one does.

Is that one of Bruce Wei's Uke's?...

Bruce builds a decent uke. But, his QA isn't the best. He does concentrate more on the esthetics more than a proper set up. I have taken many of his ukes and spent some time and effort on them and made them damn good playing and sounding ukes. I currently have 3 of his ukes in my personal collection, and all three of them them are very nice playing ukes. I have taken about 20 of his other ukes, made them good players and re-sold them. So far everyone that has one of my resells have loved them. One of them is being used regularly by a professional musician (but that one I not only set up, reworked the nut, frets, bridge, but also completely stripped and refinished in a very nice Nitro lacqure). That guy has raved on that one uke. The one I am playing in my avitar pic is one of his mahogs. I did a complete strip/refinish on that one in Nitro as well, and converted it to an Elecustic, and it sounds awesome unplugged, or plugged in.

Last edited:
I hope you like the one you got. But in my experiance with Bruce's ukes, I have not been crazy about his Acacia tenors. They seem to be very muted and shallow in tone. Nice, but, missing some depth IMHO. I love his mahogany ukes, and all the ones I have had of those were able to open up even more. One of my personal ones is Acacia, and it took a bit more to get it to open up with a nice tone, but still seems to be more shallow than my mahogs. Set up is VERY important to them as with any string instrument. Let me know how you like that one when ya get it.

For what it is worth, for the money, Bruces ukes are a very nice buy.

Wow, it's very unique looking! Congrats. Does it sound good?

Nickie, if your refering to me, yes, that is what takes my breath away.. ;)... It looks cool, but not as pretty as many, but it's it's tone that just blows me away.

That's the one that "hums" right? I remember you posting a video awhile back, it sounded lovely.

Loving the ink too. Any significance you'd want to share?

As a matter of fact, it is the one that hums. The sustain is so freaking crazy on this uke, that just carrying it through the open air, you can hear it resonate. Like I sad then too, I have never heard a uke, or even a guitar for that matter do that.

Assuming the ink is my arm, yeah, very significant. I wouldn't have any ink that wasn't. This particular ink is of my own design. It is my rendition of the ancient symbol for Christ, the Chi-Rho. It is the Greek letters P & X and was used as a Christian warrior's cross. My version of it uses vintage spike nails, believed like the type used in Christ's crucifixion. The blood dripping off them symbolizing the blood Christ shed. The crown of thorn halo symbolizing the suffering Christ endured for man kind. In the back ground is an olive branch signifying the peace I have in knowing Christ. The text reads "Unapologetic". I have been called an unapologetic Christian, because I have never, nor will ever apologize for my faith. I don't pretend not to be a Christian because it might offend someone. I am, what I am, and my faith is strong, and I am not ashamed of it. So, the entire ink stands for my faith, and the fact that I do not apologize for it.. ;)

P1060774.jpg

As a matter of fact, it is the one that hums. The sustain is so freaking crazy on this uke, that just carrying it through the open air, you can hear it resonate. Like I sad then too, I have never heard a uke, or even a guitar for that matter do that.

Assuming the ink is my arm, yeah, very significant. I wouldn't have any ink that wasn't. This particular ink is of my own design. It is my rendition of the ancient symbol for Christ, the Chi-Rho. It is the Greek letters P & X and was used as a Christian warrior's cross. My version of it uses vintage spike nails, believed like the type used in Christ's crucifixion. The blood dripping off them symbolizing the blood Christ shed. The crown of thorn halo symbolizing the suffering Christ endured for man kind. In the back ground is an olive branch signifying the peace I have in knowing Christ. The text reads "Unapologetic". I have been called an unapologetic Christian, because I have never, nor will ever apologize for my faith. I don't pretend not to be a Christian because it might offend someone. I am, what I am, and my faith is strong, and I am not ashamed of it. So, the entire ink stands for my faith, and the fact that I do not apologize for it.. ;)

P1060774.jpg

Nice! Sounds like an awesome uke :D

That's awesome! I figured you'd be the kind of guy to have a good reason for his tats ;) my cousin has a Chi Rho on his foot, and I've definitely considered getting one somewhere, someday. That's an awesome design as well! Very original. I love the whole concept, and the explicit representation of your faith (that I share). Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom