darn C string!

tinman

Reaction score
i have a Kala KA-ASAC-T that comes with Aquila strings. the C string resonates so much louder and longer than the other strings, almost having an echo to it. when it is plugged into an amp, it gets to be too much. anyone else experienced this problem? can i fix it with another string brand?
thanks in advance.

Southcoast strings are said to have equal tension and volume, string-to-string. Those might help you.

UU Forum search SOuthcoast strings for more details--loads of threads about them.

Is it a wound C? Does it "echo" only when plugged in? You might wanna change out the strings to start out.

Is it the string or the note? Do all of the fretted notes on the C string have this intense resonance, or does just the open C string resonate intensely?

the pesky c string :( im sending my ohana back because of this i have had 4 sets of strings on it, it only developed this over the last few weeks, before it was fine now every set of strings i have put on has the same problem, ive had so many explanations im baffled as what to believe. i could understand if the uke had been like it from the start but it has taken 5 months for this to happen . hope you sort your problem out.

Is it a wound C? Does it "echo" only when plugged in? You might wanna change out the strings to start out.

i'm not sure if it's wound or not. the uke came with Aquila Nylgut. there's always an echo, it's just more noticeable when plugged in.

Is it the string or the note? Do all of the fretted notes on the C string have this intense resonance, or does just the open C string resonate intensely?

it's just the open C string, and it resonates intensely. making me not want to pick up the uke, which is a tragedy.

Check out the bracing insid te uke body. I had a similar problem with a high end instrument and it turned out to be a small area where the bracing under te bridge detached from te soundboard at the end and would vibrate when'd the open c was played. Long shot, but you never know!

Aquila's are infamous for that boomy C-string. Sometimes it sounds great-sometimes terrible. Give Dirk a ring at Southcoast Strings and get a tenor GCEA set- they are worth every penny spent, and every moment tracking them down.

Top Bottom