WTB - Inexpensive Concert To Leave In Office

johninmass

Reaction score
Looking to buy an inexpensive concert uke to leave in office at work. Doesn't need to be pretty or loud, just setup nice and easy to play.

Try a concert neck flea. Right around $200 and I bet you it won't stay at the office all the time.

I've had my Greg Bennett UK50 for six years and I can't fault it musically for a concert mahogany laminate. Mine was Indonesian built; the intonation is spot-on and the strings neither too high nor too low. I think they're made somewhere else now. But everyone who has looked at it and played it agrees that it's superb for a uke of its price band (about £50 in the UK - £44 online.) I'd recommend - to my mind it's inexpensive. I've put Aquila nyl-gut strings on - great.

Like many people on the forum, I'm now convinced that Islander gives you a lot of bang for the buck. We tried a couple concerts and were surprised at the quality of sound. Your budget will dictate whether you get a laminate or solid-wood uke, but the Kanilea influence inmanufacturing sets it apart from some other factory-made ukes. Be sure to buy it from a seller who will set it up before shipping it.

Uke Republic or MIMS will fix you right up! Chat them up if you live in U.S.

I've had my Greg Bennett UK50 for six years and I can't fault it musically for a concert mahogany laminate. Mine was Indonesian built; the intonation is spot-on and the strings neither too high nor too low. I think they're made somewhere else now. But everyone who has looked at it and played it agrees that it's superb for a uke of its price band (about £50 in the UK - £44 online.) I'd recommend - to my mind it's inexpensive. I've put Aquila nyl-gut strings on - great.

Now you got me interested. Darn UAS. I saw that BB plays a Greg Bennett, and he's a lefty. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV24Mzx0tps

Would you have a video of you playing it?

Price? 150 bucks can buy you a lot of the ones that play fairly well, if you care out something playing decent this range can get you a ton of choices.
Kala, Oscar Fluke, Schmidt, Lanikai, Kohala (I have one and it plays fantastic)..paid 50 bucks on Ebay, there is one now with case, tuner and uke for 115.00. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_stp...oncert+ukulele&_clu=2&_pgn=21&_skc=1000&rt=nc
It came with Aquila's, which I pulled off and put on my Savarez strings and the sound was actually surprising.. For the price it plays as good as any of the others

I played it on my cruise in the Carribean last month and people really dug it. I played at the airport and it was cool seeing everyone smile as they walked by saying "Oh cool...a ukulele".

Happy uke hunting
Cheers!

Looking to buy an inexpensive concert uke to leave in office at work. Doesn't need to be pretty or loud, just setup nice and easy to play.

Now you got me interested. Darn UAS. I saw that BB plays a Greg Bennett, and he's a lefty. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV24Mzx0tps

Would you have a video of you playing it?
Sorry, I don't do videos at all! But I have sat in music shops with my Greg Bennett and compared it for sound and playability with ukes more than twice the price and it comes out very well. Tons better than the little Mahalo or Makala sopranos. I've seen no need to replace it, while I save for a good tenor. I do some fingerstyle and it's fine. I think the fingerboard is superb, and the tuners don't slip. Body very thin, (that's good), intonation perfect. One of the important points in the OP was value, 'cos of leaving it in the office, and I wouldn't leave a uke worth more than £45-£50 in the office! I think that's about $70 - $80. BUT mine was Indonesian built, and I think they're made in Korea now - not sure. Good luck with your search! :)

I really like my Oscar Schmidt OU-2P, concert size pineapple. It's a good sounding nice playing uke for about $65 US. And at that price I don't worry about dragging it anywhere. Laminate and pretty well made so doesn't require much special care.

Costco has a kohala online for $99 koa laminate with a gig bag and tuner...they have an outlet store here (costco sells their returned merchandise at a discount) and i have bought a couple for $50....

Top Bottom