Question about the nut

hammer40

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right section for this question but a luthier would probably have the answer for me. I was wondering if there is a particular min/max distance that the string and the groove in the nut for it, should be from the edge of the fretboard? I have noticed some go very close to the edge and some leave more room, or is it just a set up preference?

If they sound right I wouldn't worry. I had one uke that as it aged the nut and the end of the fretboard moved apart noticeably. Simultaneously any note fretted at the first fret started to sound wrong. I removed the nut, changed the mating face angle to better but up against the fretboard, reinstalled and it sounded a lot better. But I took a lot of careful measurements before I did it.

It's not about sound but rather about playability. I see a lot of ukes set up where the outer strings are too close to the edge of the fret board. This will often cause a "gutter ball" effect with the A string when playing up the neck. I couldn't give you exact numbers (I set 'em by eye) but the distance to the edge of the fret board might be about 1/8". A little more perhaps for the A string and a skosh less for the G.

Chuck points to a standard thing that I do when setting up guitars or ukes...allow a little bit more space between the first string and the edge of the fingerboard than between the 6th or 4th string and the edge. Players tend to pull the strings a bit when fretting, and so they'll pull the 1st string right off the fingerboard if it's too close. It hardly ever happens that they'll push the 6th or 4th off. This is another one of those things where you build and set up for the hands, not the eyes.

Chuck points to a standard thing that I do when setting up guitars or ukes...allow a little bit more space between the first string and the edge of the fingerboard than between the 6th or 4th string and the edge. Players tend to pull the strings a bit when fretting, and so they'll pull the 1st string right off the fingerboard if it's too close. It hardly ever happens that they'll push the 6th or 4th off. This is another one of those things where you build and set up for the hands, not the eyes.

Wish I'd read this a few days ago. Just strung up another (amateur) build and forgot, so made the nut with equal spacing. And found myself clattering the A string on the edge of the neck (no fretboard). Dumbo! An easy fix, but I should know by now.

I made the A and G string spacing 3mm (1/8), and this thread now tells me the dimension of a "skosh", a US luthier measurement which was unknown to me. It's 1/32 inch. Which is about how much I moved my A string, and it plays fine now.

I'm encountering the gutterball effect with an old Martin soprano I recently acquired. The A and G strings are equidistant from the fretboard edges, but the real problem is that the fret ends are rounded too far in, so the slightest downward pull on the A string sends the it right into the gutter.

Another "folk" measurement dimension is the "RCH", and if you don't know what that stands for, just know that I'm not publishing it here...

Another "folk" measurement dimension is the "RCH", and if you don't know what that stands for, just know that I'm not publishing it here...
I suspect you're talking about "Crimson Cubic Purly's" Rick ;)

The RCH unit of measurement has been around as long as mankind has. It has been used by the luthiery community for a long time and now is also used by the automotive industry. Just the other day I heard it used by some gentleman working on my vehicles muffler and exhaust system. How appropriate! ((cough-cough)

The RCH unit of measurement has been around as long as mankind has. It has been used by the luthiery community for a long time and now is also used by the automotive industry. Just the other day I heard it used by some gentleman working on my vehicles muffler and exhaust system. How appropriate! ((cough-cough)

It's also used in the construction industry, and has been around for as long as has been womankind.

Top Bottom