Practicing a ukulele while my wife drives the car

Pondoro

Reaction score
OK, different thread. I've never played the uke while driving a car. I do play a lot on trips while my wife drives. A clamp on tuner is mandatory, tuners with microphones get really confused by the road noise. A tenor is too big, a concert is a bit large, my soprano and sopranino ukes are perfect.

I did play my sopranino while in the driver's seat, but the car was stopped, I was early to an appointment and I squeezed in 10 minutes of practice time. I think a soprano would be too big to play in the driver's seat, as the headstock would hit the door.

Three words for you, even as a passenger - air. bag. deployment. :)

I bring my Eleuke Peanut on road trips. The hubby can still listen to his crapola on the radio while I strum away. I usually use only one earbud so I can hear the radio and play along to some songs.

I tried playing my uke while riding my scooter, but all I did was scratch both of them up...

I paid dearly for playing in the passenger seat the one time I did it. I unhooked my seat belt, lost my grip on it, and the metal part flew back and hit my beloved custom. Put a dent in the binding barely big enough to see, but I can see it! And for you safety oriented folks, we were stopped to get gas. Of course, I got indigestion in addition. Never again!

I find I get better resonance playing in the trunk... it's a bit dark in the day but you don't notice it as much at night.

Three words for you, even as a passenger - air. bag. deployment. :)

Lol....that's exactly why I bring out the Eleuke Peanut as opposed to the knitting needles!

I've played uke in the passenger seat, on an airplane, on a train, and...on a horse!

EDIT: It's probably good I had a horse so used to putting up with my nonsense--the first time I dyed him hot pink, he wasn't too thrilled, but after he got used to it he started to enjoy it :D

Last edited:
OK, different thread. I've never played the uke while driving a car. I do play a lot on trips while my wife drives. A clamp on tuner is mandatory, tuners with microphones get really confused by the road noise. A tenor is too big, a concert is a bit large, my soprano and sopranino ukes are perfect.

I did play my sopranino while in the driver's seat, but the car was stopped, I was early to an appointment and I squeezed in 10 minutes of practice time. I think a soprano would be too big to play in the driver's seat, as the headstock would hit the door.
Hey Me too! My wife and I work together and she drives to and from.
I just picked up a sweet Ohana SK-35G with a Uke Crazy case from Mim a couple of weeks ago just for the car rides and to have a good quality, well playing uke to take on trips, never to be left in the car, that's what the dolphin is for
Yay for the uking passenger:)
Don

I play a lot in the car while my wife drives. As people drive my, I always get the biggest smiles as it shocks them someone is actually playing a ukulele. I always get a double take. I get a kick out of it. Just like OldePhart says, I just hope my wife never hits anyone and sets off the airbags or I'm screwed. Splinter face! I have a 50.00 travel uke I leave in my car that I use for that purpose. I don't care if it sits in the heat in the trunk...and it hasn't affected it at all but it's built like brick outhouse..solid and thick.

That was great, ok let's see you do that galloping! lol.

I've played uke in the passenger seat, on an airplane, on a train, and...on a horse!

EDIT: It's probably good I had a horse so used to putting up with my nonsense--the first time I dyed him hot pink, he wasn't too thrilled, but after he got used to it he started to enjoy it :D

This is why I like being the passenger. It looks like I'm either driving or English in this video - the image is flipped.

Lol....that's exactly why I bring out the Eleuke Peanut as opposed to the knitting needles!

Ouch...yeah...the peanut would definitely be the lesser of two evils. I used to hang out on a tinwhistle forum back years ago when airbags first started becoming standard equipment on most cars. People used to talk about how they loved to play tinwhistle at stoplights until somebody posted a video from a cop car of the car ahead stopped at a light when somebody coming the other way swerved around stopped traffic and ran head on into the car in front of the cop. The bag deployed and you could clearly see the violence at which it does so. That cured most sensible people of wanting to play tinwhistle even at stoplights. LOL

John

No airbags, no problem

Gotta keep practicing this, though. I'm better on the uke sitting still, honest!

No airbags, no problem

Gotta keep practicing this, though. I'm better on the uke sitting still, honest!

Heh, heh. That's great! When I was in high school I had a good friend who rode a uni like he was walking. I kid you not, he'd ride up and down the sidewalks on mainstreet, hopping curbs to cross streets and not just curbs, but big two-step curbs where the side street was 18" or more down from the sidewalk. He'd weave in and out of the parking meters and they weren't set back more than 12" from the curbs, if that. I couldn't even get up on one of those things so I certainly never figured out how he managed to ride down those curbs, let alone back up. (This was before the ADA resulted in every sidewalk having a ramp down to the cross walk.)

He was a chubby dude; not at all the sort you'd expect to have that kind of balance.

Lol, I used to commute about 2 miles to lawschool on that thing.

That was a LOOOONG time ago, though.

My cousin and I play in the back of my grandma's car on the way to church. You can do a lot in a half hour!

Well I once played Ukulele while...wait...what?

Sorry, wrong forum...

I remember years ago my younger brother had a unicycle and he rode that thing all over the place. I never understood why I couldn't get my balance on one of those things for anything and i was more coordinated then he was. It's really weird to try and ride it you get up on it and you want To go forward or backwards right on your backside.
Heh, heh. That's great! When I was in high school I had a good friend who rode a uni like he was walking. I kid you not, he'd ride up and down the sidewalks on mainstreet, hopping curbs to cross streets and not just curbs, but big two-step curbs where the side street was 18" or more down from the sidewalk. He'd weave in and out of the parking meters and they weren't set back more than 12" from the curbs, if that. I couldn't even get up on one of those things so I certainly never figured out how he managed to ride down those curbs, let alone back up. (This was before the ADA resulted in every sidewalk having a ramp down to the cross walk.)

He was a chubby dude; not at all the sort you'd expect to have that kind of balance.

Top Bottom