Recording King Reso Uke on Amazon - $299!

Thanks for the tip! Also to note: if you buy the one sold by Amazon (although 2-5 week wait) it is an additional 15% off which takes this price down to $255. That's getting be a significant discount off of Elderly's price. I'm not in the market but if I was I would jump on this for sure! Thanks so much for posting this.

I have a regal 100 http://www.amazon.com/Regal-RU-100-Metal-Resonator-Ukulele/dp/B004Y4GVD8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_8 It's more expensive than the Recording King but I felt the sound quality was worth the difference.I also paid a little bit more than Amazons price as I ordered it through a local luthier/retaile, Cremer Guitar Works. Rick made sure that the thing was setup properly.

Right now I have it being upgraded by his shop. It's getting waverly tuners and a pickup. I'll have a lot more in this thing than a RK but thats OK. It's about the sound and playability.
When I pick it up tomorrow it will be rechristened as the "Frankenreso"

Last edited:
I picked up my Frankenreso today and I love (Ok, I really like) the Waverly tuners, strap buttons and Schatten pickup. I now own what is probably the most expensive cheap brass reso but as I said earlier, I love it (like it) a lot.

Rick had just gotten in a Recording King uke and I put them next to each other. Looks like they were built in the same factory. The bodies look identical, both have the mother of toilet seat head stock and cheap cheap cheap tuning machines. The RK has a pearloid binding on the fretboard. The wood for the Regal neck has a nicer finish. They both came equipped with throw away strings. The cases appear identical.

It reminds me of when I worked for the company that made Wonder Bread in the 70's. The difference between Wonder Bread and 1/2 price store brand bread was the way the ink was distributed on the bag.

Thanks for the great comparison.
Funny story about Wonder bread! Good to know. I often wonder about generic goods.

I picked up my Frankenreso today and I love (Ok, I really like) the Waverly tuners, strap buttons and Schatten pickup. I now own what is probably the most expensive cheap brass reso but as I said earlier, I love it (like it) a lot.

Rick had just gotten in a Recording King uke and I put them next to each other. Looks like they were built in the same factory. The bodies look identical, both have the mother of toilet seat head stock and cheap cheap cheap tuning machines. The RK has a pearloid binding on the fretboard. The wood for the Regal neck has a nicer finish. They both came equipped with throw away strings. The cases appear identical.

It reminds me of when I worked for the company that made Wonder Bread in the 70's. The difference between Wonder Bread and 1/2 price store brand bread was the way the ink was distributed on the bag.

That reso sure looks like it could get fingerprinty.

Those Recording King resos are pretty lame in general . I've got a Gold Tone that is a work horse and every bit the sound of a National at $2,200 less . lol . But personally , I prefer the now new Republic Resos of them all . The craze for wood bodied reso's is a little over hyped IMHO . The wood and metal have alot of problems over time deciding who is in charge of the expansion and contration rates that temperature and humidity changes have to offer . Just my input on resos . Plus , they can be alot of maintanence and folks screw them up seriously so in thinking they are a reso mechanic . Use EXTREME caution buying used ones .

Top Bottom