When/what to buy?

rreffner

Reaction score
Ok, I have a Tenor, 22 year old stock Kamaka and I would like a second uke and I'm not sure why. I'm not sure if I should get another Tenor or maybe a standard. Any suggestions or guidelines? I have never played any other ukes other than my Kamaka. It would need to be mail order as there are no stores which carry ukes around me.

Also in the 500 - 1500 range, who would a good manufacture be, other than Kamaka?

Ok, I have a Tenor, 22 year old stock Kamaka and I would like a second uke and I'm not sure why. I'm not sure if I should get another Tenor or maybe a standard. Any suggestions or guidelines? I have never played any other ukes other than my Kamaka. It would need to be mail order as there are no stores which carry ukes around me.

Also in the 500 - 1500 range, who would a good manufacture be, other than Kamaka?

That's a big range. For that amount you can a really nice custom.

KoAlohas are nice. I have a KoAloha concert and I love it.

But Deach is right -- big range with LOTS of choices.

A partial list of builders can be found here. Or as deach mentioned you can go custom. You may wanna check out (not in any particular order) Mike DaSilva, Dave Means, Joel Eckhouse, Mike Pereira, Pete Howlett (you can PM him) and Tony Graziano. Some other options; The Marketplace @ Flea Market Music, Ukulele Friend and MGM.

I play tenor and while I am not much on switching around on sizes, I have been tempted to acquire a baritone (might be easier to play in the company of guitar players). I am extremely satisfied with my KoAloha tenor--purchased last year. The other finalists in my search were G-string and Kanilea.

Jon

You could get a pretty decent semi-custom Kamaka tenor for that price if you wanted to stick with the brand?

As drjond56 said the Koaloha tenor is also very cool and they sound really good as well. If you got that you'd have a fair bit of spare cash from $1500.

Those were the two I've been trying to decide between. The G-String and Ko'olau also look cool but their websites often put me off with the endless options you can get, I can never actually work out how much they are.

The G-String and Ko'olau also look cool but their websites often put me off with the endless options you can get, I can never actually work out how much they are.
Best bet in this type of situation is to call and talk to them personally. I know you're down under and have no idea what a long distance call would cost. And there's always email.

Yeah that would make sense, I can't believe I didn't think of that. I think I've settled on getting a Kamaka, I just need the money now!

Last edited:
Top Bottom