PDA

View Full Version : New uke book on the way - 'The Baroque Ukulele'

Tony Mizen
05-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Hello, just thought I'd let you know that I've finished recording a new CD that Jim Beloff invited me to do. There are 24 tracks - all Baroque music. Many of them are well known tunes, such as 'Winter' and 'Spring' from Vivaldi's 'The Four Seasons'. There's plenty of Bach - Air on a G String, Sleepers' Wake and others. I got really ambitious and arranged a complete Vivaldi concerto. The book and CD should be out before Christmas, providing Jim approves of it. I'm sending him the CD today.

Thanks you for the kind words on the first book. I really hope this one will be equally good, if not better.

Nickie
05-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Wow, I love Vivaldi! I can't wait to see this!

consitter
05-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Better fix your Baroque ukulele. It'll be easier to play! ;) Sorry couldn't resist!

Tack
05-19-2012, 11:37 PM
Hello, just thought I'd let you know that I've finished recording a new CD that Jim Beloff invited me to do. There are 24 tracks - all Baroque music. Many of them are well known tunes, such as 'Winter' and 'Spring' from Vivaldi's 'The Four Seasons'. There's plenty of Bach - Air on a G String, Sleepers' Wake and others. I got really ambitious and arranged a complete Vivaldi concerto. The book and CD should be out before Christmas, providing Jim approves of it. I'm sending him the CD today.

Thanks you for the kind words on the first book. I really hope this one will be equally good, if not better.

Excellent! I look forward to more details about this and updates as/when they occur. I - for one - would welcome this cd... Are you going to include tabs in some way? (please)
:)

missameeames
05-20-2012, 02:56 AM
That's great news! From Lute to Uke is one of my favorites, this will be going to the top of my wish list!

Tony Mizen
05-20-2012, 06:01 AM
Hi Tack, definitely TAB as well. I think most people read TAB for ukulele but nmost books only have the rhythm written in the notation and the TAB is just 'naked numbers'. To check the rhythm, you have to keep looking up. I find that distracting, so I put the rhythm in both parts.

Mandalyn
05-20-2012, 06:04 AM
Now I know what I want for Christmas. :D

janeray1940
05-20-2012, 06:05 AM
Thanks Tony, I am *so* excited about hearing this news!

AKuker
05-20-2012, 06:17 AM
Fantastic! Thanks Tony. That is definitely going to be on my Christmas list!!

itsme
05-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Really looking forward to it, Tony! :)

Which Vivaldi concerto? Any Weiss? What other rare gems will you be bringing to light? I was delighted that you included "Cancion del Emperador" in the first book.

Because inquiring minds want to know! ;)

And a big thank you to Jim Beloff for sponsoring your editions.

pulelehua
05-20-2012, 10:54 AM
This is great, as I didn't even know there was a FIRST volume!

csibona
05-20-2012, 12:05 PM
I love the first book - I'm looking forward to the second.

Tony Mizen
05-21-2012, 06:39 AM
Hi Salukulady, I thought I'd copy the entire list. The Vivaldi concerto is the one in D major (not any more!) for Guitar (Lute), Strings and Continuo RV93 (FXII/15). There's one piece by Weiss - that beautiful bourree. I hope you have more than 12 frets on your uke, but if not, I've done an alternative ending. Weiss is one of my favourite composers - so tuneful and distinctive from Bach. I hope people like it - I was going to just do the second movement of the concerto but then I found the other two were possible but definitely not easy! The second movement is easy! One of the best tracks, I think is the Robert de Visee Sarabande - as well as Air on a G string and the famous Canon. I think the Pekiel piece is a rare gem, crossing the border between Renaissance and Baroque.

THE BAROQUE UKULELE
1. Chorale Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750)
2. Menuet en Rondeau Jean-Philippe Rameau (1683 - 1764)
3. Winter Antonio Vivaldi (1687 - 1741)
4. Spring Antonio Vivaldi (1687 - 1741)
5. Bourrée Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750)
6. The Harmonious Blacksmith George Frideric Handel (1685 - 1759)
7. Rondeau Jean-Joseph Mouret (1682 - 1738)
8.Pièce Pour Luth Bartholomew Pekiel (c.1610 - 1670)
9.Musette Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750)
10. Menuett Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750)
11.Gavotto Robert de Visée (1655 - 1733)
12. Minuet II Robert de Visée (1655 - 1733)
13.Sarabande Robert de Visée (1655 - 1733)
14.Gavotte Arcangelo Corelli (1653 - 1713)
15. Largo from Xerxes George Frideric Handel (1685 - 1759)
16. Air on a G String Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750)
17.Sleepers’ Wake Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750)
18. Canon Johann Pachelbel (1653 - 1706)
19. Prince of Denmark’s March Jeremiah Clarke (c.1673 - 1707)
20. Trumpet tune Henry Purcell (1659 - 1695)
21. Bourrée Silvius Leopold Weiss (1686 - 1750)
22. Concerto I Antonio Vivaldi (1687 - 1741)
23. Concerto II
24. Concerto III

Kimosabe
05-21-2012, 11:10 AM
I love your Lute to Uke book. Just a thought: Rob McKillop is putting slow versions and up to speed versions on his new book that's coming out. Could you do the same?

itsme
05-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the rundown on the tunes, Tony!

There were only a couple names I didn't recognize, like this one (7. Rondeau Jean-Joseph Mouret (1682 - 1738), til I looked it up and found it was the theme for Masterpiece Theatre that I was familiar with. :)

And I know familiarity can help sell, but frankly, there are umpteen arrangements of Pachelbel's Canon out there. Yours might be better, I don't know yet. Overall, I'd have to say your arrangements are superb.

"Lute to Uke" didn't rely on any "popular" tunes like some of the classical uke books out there (not that there are a ton of them, but I pretty much own every one that's been published) but it apparently sold well enough for Jim Beloff to want to offer you another shot.

Still really looking forward to this book and I hope there'll be many more from you! Wishing you all the best with it. :)

BlueLatitude
05-22-2012, 03:57 AM
Ooooooooooh!!! I can't wait!! This will be in my library for sure.

Freeda
05-22-2012, 05:03 AM
I will be asking for BOTH for Christmas. If I can wait that long. :)

Season
05-25-2012, 08:28 AM
I love the From Lute To Uke book and even bought a Baroq-ulele to do it justice. Can't wait for the new book to come out!

callmemario
05-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Your "Lute to uke" Book and CD were SO professionally well done that I simply CAN'T wait for your Baroque Ukulele book/CD to come out!! :-)

Actually I think I'm going to wear out your CD from playing it too much because I love it so much! ;-)

Freeda
06-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Just ordered from lute to uke. ;)

callmemario
06-17-2012, 02:47 AM
Just ordered from lute to uke. ;)
__________________________________________________ ______

aaaah! just couldn't wait till Christmas, hey?! ;-)

You're gonna LOVE IT! :-)

Tony Mizen
06-17-2012, 06:00 AM
I just love all these comments and I'm really grateful for them. In the new book there's going to be a space in the 'credits' for what really matters - the people here that play the uke and want to do more than strum chords.... I had no idea how people would be respond to lute music on the ukulele. I thought it might be a bit of a minority interest. I'm so glad so many enjoy this sort of music and recognise how right it is to play it on the ukulele. Best wishes and thanks to all here! Tony

callmemario
06-30-2012, 07:59 AM
[QUOTE=Tony Mizen;968815]I just love all these comments and I'm really grateful for them. In the new book there's going to be a space in the 'credits' for what really matters - the people here that play the uke and want to do more than strum chords.... I had no idea how people would be respond to lute music on the ukulele. I thought it might be a bit of a minority interest. I'm so glad so many enjoy this sort of music and recognise how right it is to play it on the ukulele. Best wishes and thanks to all here! Tony[/QUOTE
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________

THIS is great and happy news for the "Lute to Uke Society!" ;-)

Freeda
06-30-2012, 09:32 AM
__________________________________________________ ______

aaaah! just couldn't wait till Christmas, hey?! ;-)

You're gonna LOVE IT! :-)

I do!! Working on Bear Dance and Allemande.

callmemario
06-30-2012, 09:59 AM
I do!! Working on Bear Dance and Allemande.

Yep, that Bear Dance and allemande are quite something and so is the rest of the book!...and that CD, like I said before, I cannot stop playing it. It's wonderful, relaxing and sounds so much like a Renaissance lute. Tony sure did a tremendous job on this one. ENJOY! :-)

Luke El U
06-30-2012, 05:33 PM
This is great news! Your Lute to Uke book is awesome! It has given me so much pleasure. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to your new book. Can you ask Jim Beloff to make it a rush order?!

itsme
06-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Hey, Tony, have you checked out youtube and searched for mizen and ukulele? There's a whole bunch of your arrangements from uke players. That is awesome in my book. You've inspired a lot of people. :D

Tony Mizen
07-01-2012, 08:05 AM
This is great news! Your Lute to Uke book is awesome! It has given me so much pleasure. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to your new book. Can you ask Jim Beloff to make it a rush order?!

I'm going to copy this page and send it to Jim. Thank you again to everyone who has been so positive about the book. 'The Baroque ukulele' is nearly ready. I had an enjoyable afternoon tweaking the text today.

itsme
07-01-2012, 08:38 PM
'The Baroque ukulele' is nearly ready.
Awesome! :)

Can you convince Jim to make it available pronto instead of "by Christmas"?

Really, I think there's a good market for this stuff. I would buy any classical book you put out.

csibona
07-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Awesome! :)

Can you convince Jim to make it available pronto instead of "by Christmas"?

Really, I think there's a good market for this stuff. I would buy any classical book you put out.

What she said - I'd buy it when it comes out. But I have no idea how long it takes to publish a book. Someone must play these arrangements to make sure they are mostly correct, no?

itsme
07-02-2012, 10:23 AM
What he said - I'd buy it when it comes out. But I have no idea how long it takes to publish a book. Someone must play these arrangements to make sure they are mostly correct, no?
Well, I'm a "she" but that's beside the point. :p

Tony, if you need someone to help proofread the book, I'll gladly volunteer. :)

Techtao
07-09-2012, 03:09 AM
Dear Tony, While at the New York Uke Fest, I shared with Jim how much joy I've had playing the songs in your Lute to Uke book. Jim told me about your soon to be published Baroque song book. I'm really looking forward to it!

For the last 8 months, I've gotten great joy playing the songs for the Lute book, they nourish my soul. Thank you, Tom

Tony Mizen
07-14-2012, 06:04 AM
Thanks for your very kind words and for giving Jim such positive feedback. The new book is nearly done. All the music has been engraved, corrected and read through. We're at the final stages of putting together the text, photos, art work etc. The recording has all been done. I did the whole thing on one of Jim's Fluke's - They sound really rich and earthy and look amazing.

Doing both of these books has been a truly enjoyable experience, matched only by the wonderful feedback I've had on this site. Very best wishes to everyone here. I look forward to reading what people think of the new book. Maybe Jim will get it out there before Christmas???

itsme
08-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Maybe Jim will get it out there before Christmas???
Looks like I'ma gonna get my wish... Amazon has it listed with a September 14 release date. Hooray! :p

http://www.amazon.com/Baroque-Ukulele-Book-CD-Package/dp/1476815208/

AKuker
08-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Yay! Got my Pre-order in. Can't wait.

Evan.
08-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Pre-ordered!

tigersister
08-28-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm looking forward to your latest book, Tony. I working on a couple of pieces in Lute to Uke ATMO.

Tony Mizen
08-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks for pre-ordering! I hope you like it. Transcribing concertos is definitely the most satisfying thing to do. There's plenty of them waiting to be 'uked'...

Luke El U
08-29-2012, 11:04 PM
This is great news. I look forward to buying it a.s.a.p. I've worked through most of the beautiful material in From Lute to Uke, though still a long way from mastering it. Also I've tried some pieces from the MacKillop book on Gaspar Sanz and the John King book. All of this has inspired me to try to transcibe some baroque recorder music and play it in the campanella style. Since the recorder has a very limited range like the uke, the material fits well without having to change registers in the melody.

Mr. Mizen, thanks so much for the inspiration. There is so much beautiful Early Music out there. I hope your books sell so well as to warrant publishing even more.

Rubio MHS
09-12-2012, 07:07 AM
I'm so excited about this book. Comes out in TWO DAYS, everyone!

Freeda
09-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Yay! I'll be getting it!

itsme
09-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Got this email from Amazon today:

We're writing about the order you placed on September 05, 2012 (Order# ...). Unfortunately, we are unable to ship the item(s) as soon as we expected and need to provide you with a new estimate of when the item(s) may be delivered:

Tony Mizen "The Baroque Ukulele (Book/CD Package) - A Jumpin' Jim's Ukulele Songbook"

New Delivery Estimate: October 03, 2012 - October 12, 2012
Bummer. :(

EDIT: Double bummer. Just checked my Amazon account... when I ordered the book on 9-5, they immediately deducted the full amount from my gift card balance. Now, since it didn't ship when they said it would, they've decided to tack on sales tax for California, which started today. :mad:

Evan.
09-15-2012, 04:45 PM
I didn't get a similar note of delay from amazon, but it hasn't arrived yet. Maye amazon realized that pushing the new blu ray box set of Hitchcock films back another month was enough torment for me.

Rubio MHS
09-16-2012, 03:52 PM
I waited too long to order mine, and I got on backlog, too. I'm curious, does anyone know how Amazon's sales tax works? I bought a couple of ukulele books (Mizen and Gregorian Chants), a Maschine Mikro (buy one now for $200, before the new one comes out, which'll cost $400 as of October 1st), a clip-on tuner and a glitter tattoo kit for my son. The total came to about $275, but I only paid $3 and change in tax.

itsme
09-16-2012, 04:13 PM
I waited too long to order mine, and I got on backlog, too. I'm curious, does anyone know how Amazon's sales tax works?
I actually don't think it's a backlog, just that it wasn't released as originally scheduled.

What state are you in? They only collect tax in certain states, or in states where the vendor (sometimes a third-party) has a "nexus" or physical presence in the buyer's state.

Apparently, in California, if an item wasn't shipped before 9-15 when the tax started, they will add it to your order retroactively. :(

Rubio MHS
09-16-2012, 05:33 PM
I'm in California, and they only taxed certain items I bought. My Maschine Mikro was from a third-party dealer, and it wasn't taxed, apparently. I ordered it after 9/15.

AKuker
09-24-2012, 11:44 AM
My copy is on its way! Amazon shows they shipped it on the 22nd! Can't wait to get it.

Millbrook
09-25-2012, 03:24 AM
My copy of the Baroque Ukulele arrived yesterday afternoon! My favorites so far are the three pieces by De Visee and the Harmonious Blacksmith by Handel.

Thanks, Tony, for this wonderful contribution to the classical ukulele literature!

Tony Mizen
09-28-2012, 05:07 AM
Hi everyone, just to let you know that The Baroque ukulele book and CD is now available on the fleamarket music website. Also, I'm seriously thinking about donating a proportion of any royalties to research into deafness. For 12 years, I've had to adapt to having lost - inexplicably and suddenly - most of the high tones in one ear. It was one of the reasons why I took up the ukulele. The guitar sounds dull to me, even after all this time. My brain knows how it should sound, but I took up the ukulele, piano and banjo after it happened and these instruments sound acceptable to my brain as I don't know any different. My acoustic nerve, it has been proven, has been damaged and I feel a great need to contribute to research into nerve regeneration. So to some extent, as much as I can afford, buying the book will also be contributing to a good cause. I hope it lives up to expectations and I look forward to seeing some reviews. Very best wishes, Tony.

pulelehua
09-28-2012, 05:20 AM
Tony, can I ask how you publish? Cos Jim has shown interest in having my stuff on his site, but I can't find any way of printing the material which isn't totally cost prohibitive.

Only just realised we're neighbours!

callmemario
09-29-2012, 09:57 AM
OMG Tony...I'm very sorry to hear of your hearing impairment. It must have been quite the shock and adaptation. Especially to a musician! :-o
However, ukulele players have benefited from your great skills and talents. This hearing problem certainly does not come out in any way into your recordings. From our end, you seem to have adapted quite well. We would have never guessed. Mario

Hi everyone, just to let you know that The Baroque ukulele book and CD is now available on the fleamarket music website. Also, I'm seriously thinking about donating a proportion of any royalties to research into deafness. For 12 years, I've had to adapt to having lost - inexplicably and suddenly - most of the high tones in one ear. It was one of the reasons why I took up the ukulele. The guitar sounds dull to me, even after all this time. My brain knows how it should sound, but I took up the ukulele, piano and banjo after it happened and these instruments sound acceptable to my brain as I don't know any different. My acoustic nerve, it has been proven, has been damaged and I feel a great need to contribute to research into nerve regeneration. So to some extent, as much as I can afford, buying the book will also be contributing to a good cause. I hope it lives up to expectations and I look forward to seeing some reviews. Very best wishes, Tony.

Tony Mizen
10-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Thanks Mario, it's just the quality of sound that's lost when I'm playing. Other people's playing sounds normal and so does mine when I'm playing back a recording. My teaching hasn't suffered at all, only my own playing. Also, I have trouble in a noisy environment as I can't hear what people are saying - embarrassing! I'm still waiting to hear back from 'Hearing Research' in the UK regarding donations from sales. It seems like you can't even give money away these days!

Many thanks for your kind words

Tony

Luke El U
10-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Got my copy of the Baroque Ukulele 10 days ago. I've been so busy that have had almost no time to try playing some of it. But I have listened to the CD a few times. It's so beautiful. Thanks so much for creating it, Mr. Mizen. I look forward to spending many weeks and months learning the pieces (or at least trying to.) BTW, as a fan of Richard Dawkins' books on evolution, I particulary love your analogies to the same topic. Let's hope there's another such book of yours in the works!

Rubio MHS
10-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Tony, you've made me a believer in the reentrant G again.

Tony Mizen
10-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Thank you very much for these uplifting comments. It would be nice to go the full distance - Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern....I asked a composer to write some modern pieces- William Walton style, for the ukulele but he sadly died before he got round to it.

Ondrej
11-02-2012, 03:45 AM
Thank you very much for these uplifting comments. It would be nice to go the full distance - Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern....I asked a composer to write some modern pieces- William Walton style, for the ukulele but he sadly died before he got round to it.

Tony you have a good view. I think it very important to arrange ukulele music from every musical period. I've modified Gregorian chant http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gregorian-chant-Ukulele-tuning-ukulele/dp/1479207853/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351863803&sr=8-1 and romanticism http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anton%C3%ADn-D-vo%C3%A1k-Biblical-Songs/dp/1478197277/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1351863803&sr=8-11 . Therefore I am very glad that your books that show the Baroque. Thank you for doing awareness of classical music.

callmemario
11-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Dear Tony,

We have spoken(written each other) a few times before a while back when you were working on your Baroque Ukulele book/CD. This may be a belated response (as I see that the last posting was in February 2011...) but I just wanted to tell you that I finally got around to purchasing a copy of your wonderful book and CD from FleaMarket and it is absolutely brilliant! The chosen music is beautiful as it contains many songs that I was already familiar with and can relate to very well. Others, are to be discovered! :-) Your CD is wonderful. The recording is superb. Great acoustics. I love the little touch of reverb. I also very much love the way you take your time to go through each pieces as you do not "race through them" in a robotic/mechanical fashion. You truly "feel" the music and slow down at just the right places. Wonderful arrangements on "not so easy" to transcribe for an instrument that only has 4 strings!. The Baroque period had Lutes, Theorbos...and THEY had MANY MANY strings to work on. Again, thank you for offering the Uke community another valuable ressource for those of us who appreciate and love the Renaissance & Braroque Period Répertoire. Hope your health is well. Take care. Mario :-)