New uke book on the way - 'The Baroque Ukulele'

Tony Mizen

Reaction score
Hello, just thought I'd let you know that I've finished recording a new CD that Jim Beloff invited me to do. There are 24 tracks - all Baroque music. Many of them are well known tunes, such as 'Winter' and 'Spring' from Vivaldi's 'The Four Seasons'. There's plenty of Bach - Air on a G String, Sleepers' Wake and others. I got really ambitious and arranged a complete Vivaldi concerto. The book and CD should be out before Christmas, providing Jim approves of it. I'm sending him the CD today.

Thanks you for the kind words on the first book. I really hope this one will be equally good, if not better.

Wow, I love Vivaldi! I can't wait to see this!

Better fix your Baroque ukulele. It'll be easier to play! ;) Sorry couldn't resist!

Hello, just thought I'd let you know that I've finished recording a new CD that Jim Beloff invited me to do. There are 24 tracks - all Baroque music. Many of them are well known tunes, such as 'Winter' and 'Spring' from Vivaldi's 'The Four Seasons'. There's plenty of Bach - Air on a G String, Sleepers' Wake and others. I got really ambitious and arranged a complete Vivaldi concerto. The book and CD should be out before Christmas, providing Jim approves of it. I'm sending him the CD today.

Thanks you for the kind words on the first book. I really hope this one will be equally good, if not better.

Excellent! I look forward to more details about this and updates as/when they occur. I - for one - would welcome this cd... Are you going to include tabs in some way? (please)
:)

That's great news! From Lute to Uke is one of my favorites, this will be going to the top of my wish list!

Hi Tack, definitely TAB as well. I think most people read TAB for ukulele but nmost books only have the rhythm written in the notation and the TAB is just 'naked numbers'. To check the rhythm, you have to keep looking up. I find that distracting, so I put the rhythm in both parts.

Fantastic! Thanks Tony. That is definitely going to be on my Christmas list!!

Really looking forward to it, Tony! :)

Which Vivaldi concerto? Any Weiss? What other rare gems will you be bringing to light? I was delighted that you included "Cancion del Emperador" in the first book.

Because inquiring minds want to know! ;)

And a big thank you to Jim Beloff for sponsoring your editions.

This is great, as I didn't even know there was a FIRST volume!

I love the first book - I'm looking forward to the second.

Hi Salukulady, I thought I'd copy the entire list. The Vivaldi concerto is the one in D major (not any more!) for Guitar (Lute), Strings and Continuo RV93 (FXII/15). There's one piece by Weiss - that beautiful bourree. I hope you have more than 12 frets on your uke, but if not, I've done an alternative ending. Weiss is one of my favourite composers - so tuneful and distinctive from Bach. I hope people like it - I was going to just do the second movement of the concerto but then I found the other two were possible but definitely not easy! The second movement is easy! One of the best tracks, I think is the Robert de Visee Sarabande - as well as Air on a G string and the famous Canon. I think the Pekiel piece is a rare gem, crossing the border between Renaissance and Baroque.

THE BAROQUE UKULELE
1. Chorale Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750)
2. Menuet en Rondeau Jean-Philippe Rameau (1683 - 1764)
3. Winter Antonio Vivaldi (1687 - 1741)
4. Spring Antonio Vivaldi (1687 - 1741)
5. Bourrée Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750)
6. The Harmonious Blacksmith George Frideric Handel (1685 - 1759)
7. Rondeau Jean-Joseph Mouret (1682 - 1738)
8.Pièce Pour Luth Bartholomew Pekiel (c.1610 - 1670)
9.Musette Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750)
10. Menuett Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750)
11.Gavotto Robert de Visée (1655 - 1733)
12. Minuet II Robert de Visée (1655 - 1733)
13.Sarabande Robert de Visée (1655 - 1733)
14.Gavotte Arcangelo Corelli (1653 - 1713)
15. Largo from Xerxes George Frideric Handel (1685 - 1759)
16. Air on a G String Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750)
17.Sleepers’ Wake Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750)
18. Canon Johann Pachelbel (1653 - 1706)
19. Prince of Denmark’s March Jeremiah Clarke (c.1673 - 1707)
20. Trumpet tune Henry Purcell (1659 - 1695)
21. Bourrée Silvius Leopold Weiss (1686 - 1750)
22. Concerto I Antonio Vivaldi (1687 - 1741)
23. Concerto II
24. Concerto III

Slow versions?

I love your Lute to Uke book. Just a thought: Rob McKillop is putting slow versions and up to speed versions on his new book that's coming out. Could you do the same?

Thanks for the rundown on the tunes, Tony!

There were only a couple names I didn't recognize, like this one (7. Rondeau Jean-Joseph Mouret (1682 - 1738), til I looked it up and found it was the theme for Masterpiece Theatre that I was familiar with. :)

And I know familiarity can help sell, but frankly, there are umpteen arrangements of Pachelbel's Canon out there. Yours might be better, I don't know yet. Overall, I'd have to say your arrangements are superb.

"Lute to Uke" didn't rely on any "popular" tunes like some of the classical uke books out there (not that there are a ton of them, but I pretty much own every one that's been published) but it apparently sold well enough for Jim Beloff to want to offer you another shot.

Still really looking forward to this book and I hope there'll be many more from you! Wishing you all the best with it. :)

I will be asking for BOTH for Christmas. If I can wait that long. :)

I love the From Lute To Uke book and even bought a Baroq-ulele to do it justice. Can't wait for the new book to come out!

Your "Lute to uke" Book and CD were SO professionally well done that I simply CAN'T wait for your Baroque Ukulele book/CD to come out!! :)

Actually I think I'm going to wear out your CD from playing it too much because I love it so much! ;-)

Last edited:
Top Bottom