I have returned from NY...with 2 Ukes, dammit!

The Big Kahuna

Reaction score
New York as fantastic as ever. Once again, the people of NY made me want to punch an entire city.

Bought a Tenor, spotted a Soprano, went back and bought it the next day.

Man, this UAS kicks in quick don't it!

Congratulations. What did you get? Brands? Wood?

I realise I'm probably leaving myself open to friendly ridicule until I can get around to justifying my purchases. Suffice it to say, I saw the Luna in Sam Ash for $ 89 and beat the salesman around the head with Guitar Center until he agreed to let me have it for $ 69 with a gig bag.

I can justify this purchase easily by referring you to my avatar ;)

In terms of Tenors, I tried/looked at:

Lanikai
Luna
Cordoba
Mainland
Some others

I bought the Fender because of a combination of the following:

Gibson don't make Ukuleles
The intonation is BANG on
It looks utterly gorgeous
As a guitarist, and a Les Paul Custom user for many years, the bound fingerboard makes me happy
It sounds nice to my n00b ears
It plays nicely, and the neck profile and fingerboard radius (what there is) feels very comfortable
As awesome as they undoubtedly are, I'm afraid I just couldn't live with the Mainland rope binding.
Neck and frets are great, I'm confident I can drop the action quite a way.
On every other Tenor I tried, the intonation was significantly "out". I'm sorry, but if the manufacturers of these instruments can't be bothered to address something as important as this, they don't deserve my money. If Fender can fit a compensating bridge, the others should, too.

Oh yeah, I bought a Snark SN8 as well.

And a Baseball glove.

And the wife spent north of $ 500 on Pandora jewellery, so she can't complain about my Ukes. (Damn, shoulda bought a Pono!)

20120520-_MG_7077.jpg

One other thing...

The Fender costs £ 200 in the UK. Which makes it about $ 320. It is NOT a $ 320 Ukulele (as I'm sure everyone here knows). In my humble opinion, however, it IS a $ 200 Uke. I'd never have bought it in England, and I seriously doubt I ever will buy a new Uke here. Those of you lucky enough to live in the USA, you cant begin to imagine how much we get our pants pulled down in this country on everything we buy.

Congrats on the uke purchase. At some point I'm going to buy one of those Fenders, I think they are one of the best looking ukes overall. I know they are a laminate, and that can be blasphemy around here some times but I understand they actually sound pretty darn good.

I know they are a laminate, and that can be blasphemy around here some times but I understand they actually sound pretty darn good.

If it was a piece of furniture, they'd describe it as "veneer" instead of "laminate". And I know of a few pieces of veneered furniture that cost 5 figures ;)

I've just uploaded the pic to my Flickr account, and had a quick search on there and on google images for other Nohea's. I'm pretty damn sure I've stumbled upon the best slice of Koa the Fender factory has had.

OMG, I might have to buy a Fender. Who would have thought that? Congratulations on your purchases. They are both neat. Let UAS reign!

Well if I get good and into ukes I would want to get around humidity lark, and would love a blackbird in soprano.

Prices are silly in UK for stuff, and would still be cheaper to fly to San Francisco and collect then buy over here.

Like with rings and stuff, you go out with a cheap ring, get sun tan and come back with a better ring on that same finger :rolleyes:

Top Bottom