Aussie still dont know what to get tenor or concert

keithy351

Reaction score
g'day guys, just wondering, ive seen and read the post but still dont know which one to get, im tossing between the tenor and the concert style uke, what do use recomend without off loading me onto another video, im after personal opinion, do i go a tenor, a concert, orrrrrrr a concert body with a tenor neck:confused: plz just personal opion, i find the soprano ones just toooo tiny so im maybe going 4 concert but let me know what use think, oh by the way the 3 im looking at are kala which im guessing r good

There isn't one size that's better than another. You are going to have to try them both out. Are there any stores that carry ukes around you so you can at least get a feel for the sizes?

If not, then you're going to just have to choose one.

g'day guys, just wondering, ive seen and read the post but still dont know which one to get, im tossing between the tenor and the concert style uke, what do use recomend without off loading me onto another video, im after personal opinion, do i go a tenor, a concert, orrrrrrr a concert body with a tenor neck:confused: plz just personal opion, i find the soprano ones just toooo tiny so im maybe going 4 concert but let me know what use think, oh by the way the 3 im looking at are kala which im guessing r good

Man I have been agonizing over that problem for so long! Now, thst I have played both a tenor (a wonderful MP koa/redwood) and a concert (a RISA koa concert), I found pros and cons for both of sizes. The RISA had very low action and was very easy to play and also sounded great. It was not very loud but was pleasing. The string tension on the tenor is higher, which makes it more difficult to play. But the sound of the tenor is much fuller and vibrates in your hands! If you don't have extremely small hands (because that might be a problem when playing a tenor), I would definitely recommend you to go for tenor size!

If you plan on taking your uke everywhere you go,a concert is probably better size-wise,but Seeso's right,you just gotta play a few and see what is right for you.Many "serious" stage performers today seem to play tenors.

There isn't one size that's better than another. You are going to have to try them both out. Are there any stores that carry ukes around you so you can at least get a feel for the sizes?

If not, then you're going to just have to choose one.

seeso is absolutely right. but i must also warn you. when you choose one size, youre going to be so curious to try the other that you will want to get one also.

IMO they are both great. i have mostly tenors. because thats what i started with. i loved it. then i got a concert. i loved it too. then i got another concert. i play it the most... and its my cheapest uke. now im looking for more concerts, but i cant bring myself to give up the tenors yet.

torn between two lovers.

It really doesn't matter wich one you get cuz you will be getting others....

A Tenor's a little bigger and normaly has a bigger voice.
I don't own a Concert but have played several and would rather play a Tenor (own 2 drooling over a 3rd) but I prefer Soprano's (have 3) for some songs and Tenor's for others. But thats just me.

It really doesn't matter wich one you get cuz you will be getting others....

A Tenor's a little bigger and normaly has a bigger voice.
I don't own a Concert but have played several and would rather play a Tenor (own 2 drooling over a 3rd) but I prefer Soprano's (have 3) for some songs and Tenor's for others. But thats just me.

I second that!

g'day guys, well im playing used to playing songs of jack johnson, and yet alot of hawian style songs, so im guessing a concert is the better size but i know a store where i can go and try some out, so will go there, compare prices and see if its cheaper to buy of ebay or store

thanks

I don't know about keithy, but in my experience here in aus, it's pretty hard to get your hand on an example to try for size.

I started with a concert, and now have one of each...just got a tenor this week (Thanks MGM!!!)

I think a concert size is a great place to start, but i have to say i quite like the tone of the tenor over the others.

After pondering the same question for weeks, I finally got a tenor over a concert. Started with a soprano and always found chords a little too cramped in first position. Figured that a tenor would offer more differences than a concert would over the soprano. That (I believe) turns out to be true - which is good and bad. I find that I actually prefer the brighter tone of a soprano over the more mellow, and warmer tenor. (I also prefer Strats over LPs...) The scale length of the tenor is more comfortable generally, but I think the shorter scale of a standard concert would be just about perfect for my hands. Although the tenor is easier to hold while playing, it's just a bit too big to conveniently lug back and forth to work. (My sporano still serves that duty.) The higher string tension on the tenor does make it more difficult to bar chords, too. No doubt, I'll eventually add a Concert to my collection.

Last edited:
Deach is right....
My Spruce top Maple Kala Tenor with D'Addario j-71 strings sounds very bright, like a big Soprano.
I am afraid to put on the Aquilla strings I got for it.......

Top Bottom