new golpe variation

Craig Chee

Reaction score
Hi gang! Was taking a break from working on the new website and felt like sharing a new golpe variation (using my thumb nail to hit and scrape instead of just my other 4 nails) that I've been working on this week. 1st take, mistakes and all, still trying to get used to playing with it. Hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
Jeez ya make it look so easy Craig- great stuff...and the Cure, brilliant song choice as well

Very nice. I'm not ashamed to admit I had to google 'golpe' in order to find what you were doing. It sounds quite difficult to achieve.

Thank you TCK! Only had a few days to really play with the new style, will be focusing on it in the next few months. Plus I always wanted to do a cover of that song hahaha.

Rocko, I usually do a completely different style of golpe that utilizes the other four fingers and wanted to get my thumb more involved. I wanted a kind of "shaker" sound with the thumb scraping while incorporating the snare type sound from the other fingers (I can do each separately but not at the same time just yet!).
Here you can see the regular golpe that I do (around the 2 minute mark):
http://youtu.be/tc6-a8AOztY

Once I'm able to do both at the same time I'll update for sure, thanks for watching :)

Sounds great, Craig. It reminds me of brushes on a snare drum. :)

Thank you all so much for listening! I kind of wish I spent more time working on it before recording it now but it's always fun to see the progression of a technique or song from the "work in progress" phase to performance ready.

I'm really glad it reminded you of brushes on snare! After I wrote "shaker" I knew something was off and it wasn't really what I was emulating... brushes is perfect!

Can't wait to expand this technique even further. I might add this on as a bonus for the next workshop I do here... Again, thanks for taking the time to watch and comment :)

Top Bottom