A Selfless Act of Generosity

mzuch

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
A few months ago, forum member agilitydog (Charlie) contacted me with an offer I couldn't refuse: a complimentary set of Ziricote for a tenor uke. Charlie had received the set from David Hurd, retired luthier and author of Left Brain Lutherie, after he made a contribution to David's charity. This was a selfless act of generosity all around, a rare commodity these days. Good on you, Charlie. You're a class act.

Here are some photos of the completed instrument. Adirondack spruce soundboard with Ziricote back and sides. Brazilian rosewood rosette and headplate. Ebony bridge and fretboard. French polish on the soundboard and Tru-Oil on the rest.

At the suggestion of one of the members of the uke-centric band Tripping Lily, I paid the favor forward by building this instrument at no charge for a young man on Cape Cod whose talent far exceeds the quality of his current ukulele.

Michael

back.jpgFull profile.jpgHeadstock.jpgCloseup body copy.jpg

Last edited:
I thank Michael for the mention, on visiting his website I felt his values regarding building gave me a chance to honor David Hurd, his generousity, time and work. Like so many of you folks who give generously-Chuck, Ken, Tim, Pete, Allen, Rick are just the beginning of the list- David has only asked for thoughtful reflection and the continued sharing of seminal ideas that will stimulate and enrich lutherie. Kanaka916 takes nothing away from this thread. He makes the real point. Follow his advice. I did. Kawika... David Hurd...www.ukuleles.com.

P.S. David is still extending his work with children on the Big Island through his local charity. Whatever is raised from the remaining sets of David's Ziricote will be sent to that endeavor.

Mahalo

Last edited:
Not meant to take anything away from the OP and since David Hurd's name was mentioned, visit his site, Ukuleles by Kawika (I don't know how often it gets updated). Just makes for great reading and offers a lot of info about this fabulous instrument.

Not meant to take anything away from the OP and since David Hurd's name was mentioned, visit his site, Ukuleles by Kawika (I don't know how often it gets updated). Just makes for great reading and offers a lot of info about this fabulous instrument.

David's site hasn't been updated in 7 or 8 years. Interesting information on it anyway.

I will second the motion on Charlie's generosity and good nature. Here is the result of some Lutz spruce that came from Charlie. Combined with milo, koa and macadamia nut woods, it made for an outstanding and unique ukulele. (Someone else on this forum could probably tell you more about it :))
Charlie knows a great deal more about woods than I'll ever have time to know and he is the epitome of the Aloha Spirit! Anyone who knows him will concur (and there are quite a few of them on this forum.)

Attachments

• DSC_0035 copy.jpg
    DSC_0035 copy.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0036 copy.jpg
    DSC_0036 copy.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_0038 copy.jpg
    DSC_0038 copy.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_0012 copy.jpg
    DSC_0012 copy.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 57
Thanks Chuck, none the less, still a great and informative site for anyone who has an interest.

Thanks Chuck, none the less, still a great and informative site for anyone who has an interest.

No doubt. David's another hero who generously and freely gives his time. He recently led a work shop for our Big Island Ukulele Builder's guild and share everything and anything the attendees wanted to know.

A very nice story and deed, Michael. And +1 for the band Tripping Lily. My son is currently taking ukulele lessons from Alex and Demetrius of the band.

That's a great story. I would hope that the act will leave an indelible mark on the young man and he will pay it forward one day too (in whatever way he can).

I really like hearing that people still do stuff like this. Living in the city and being an attorney tends to callous you if you let it. Chuck told me a similar story about something he did on a whim and it really made me say, "Wow. There really are good people left out there." Not to go off topic, but that Lutz spruce that came from Charlie really is special. ;)

A very nice story and deed, Michael. And +1 for the band Tripping Lily. My son is currently taking ukulele lessons from Alex and Demetrius of the band.

The Becrelis brothers are two of my favorite people, and wildly talented besides (as are Monica and Laird). Your son is one lucky kid, dkcrown.

That is a fantastic thing to do! I always try to do things like that to help people, my random acts of kindness are sadly not as awesome. I just give people simple car help whenever I can. :)

You're a good man, Michael. Love the pay it forward gesture.

Also a fan of Tripping Lily after seeing them open for Jake last year. Even took a drive out to the Cape to visit their shop, but alas they were closed. First rule when dealing with musicians... call first. After several years working in LA, I learned a few things about performers.

1. Early in the morning is noon.
2. First thing next week is Wednesday.
3. Let's meet after lunch means 4:00pm.

And Michael, you can probably pull the "aspiring" from your handle. You're making some beautiful ukes. I especially love the balance and proportions of your slotted headstock. I think that Chuck Moore makes the best slotted headstock in the business for my aesthetic tastes and yours are definitely one of my favs. FWIW.

Top Bottom