Bending the sides of a ukulele service

Noss4060

Reaction score
I'm trying to build a ukulele but I'm having trouble bending the sides. Does anyone know someone that can bend the sides for me?

Hey Noss, welcome to the forum. It would be much easier for me to answer your question if I knew a little bit more about your motivation for this. In the scheme of things, bending the sides is simply one of the skills required to build a ukulele and truth be told, not really one of the more difficult ones. If the other woodworking skills and some tools are not present, your chances for success are not good even if you get a set of sides. A kit is a very good way to get started and does include sides as well as many of the other things.

Brad

It seems that side bending is the most intimidating step for beginners. Once you overcome the initial fear it can be a very rewarding process. Instead of giving up and having someone else bend the sides for you, why not tell us what you're doing and we'll see if we can help you.

I completely agree with Chuck.
Side bending was very intimidating for me, but now I really look forward to it.
Now, sanding is a different story.
Does anyone want to make some extra cash?;)

Yeah, or finishing. :)

You see, I think the problem here is that musicians have been trained to expect perfection. What I think we need to do is convince people that tool and sanding marks are cool and that one thick coat of varnish put on with a brush is a sign of quality work.
We've been going about this all wrong! :D

In the class's I teach, side bending is the part that everyone looks forward to. Seems a bit of a mystery and that "Ole Black Magic" going on there for most people. When they get the chance to try it out on properly thicknessed wood on a hot pipe with a bit of guidance, the mystery is gone, but the "Magic" is still there. Everyone of them loves the process.

Now finishing is another matter. I don't know anyone that says that they like that.....maybe I'm just weird, but I love that part of the build.

Rumor has it that this year's New York Uke Fest will have a workshop on side bending. I have no clue as to why this would be of interest to players who are not builders.

It seems that side bending is the most intimidating step for beginners. Once you overcome the initial fear it can be a very rewarding process. Instead of giving up and having someone else bend the sides for you, why not tell us what you're doing and we'll see if we can help you.

I know I'm just starting out . Is there any method for bending the sides for beginners? I saw this online http://www.wsukes.com/bendingsides.html does it work well?

Beginners or pro's. To bend wood successfully requires heat. It's not difficult. And if you went to all the work of making that cold bending form, why not get a silicone heat blanket and bend it like the pro's do? With a lot of heat.

Last edited:
I use a Fox style bender. Actually 2 of them, but that simple bender is a great design. You would not go wrong with it and a silicon heat blanket.

Top Bottom