Mya Moe Brazilian Rosewood and Curly Port Orford Cedar Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevelele

Reaction score
For my 100th post, I reviewed a custom brazilian rosewood and curly/flamed port orford cedar mya moe tenor classic with gloss polyester finish that I received a few months back. This is one of the finest instruments I've ever laid hands on and remains in 100% perfect condition. You will not find a scratch on it. Here is my written review: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...an-Rosewood-and-Curly-Port-Orford-Cedar-Tenor

You can see the specs here: http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=599&submit=Track

And here is my video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS4m...xt=C3a1ae88UDOEgsToPDskKTnHDtplNwHu8zKKJ0TiVd

Although I have not played it much (for fear that I would damage it), the sound has gotten demonstrably better. At the time I rated the sound a 9.5. I would probably increase the rating now to a 9.8, and would only put it below a Moore Bettah, and an argument could be made that it is equal to or even superior in some categories to the Moore Bettah--I would certainly respect that viewpoint, although I still think that nothing beats a Moore Bettah. It has the twang of a vintage Martin, the articulateness of a Moore Bettah, the boom of a Compass Rose and the sweetness of a Collings.

With respect to the overall construction, I gave it a 9.5 at the time, but again, it does not have a single flaw and is built with absolute perfection. I only gave it less than a 10 because it does not have the intricacy of a Moore Bettah and a Devine, but that is hardly a criticism.

When Gordon and Char were making it, they marveled at the beauty of the one-of-a kind Brazilian rosewood that I acquired (take a look at the wood grain--you will not find another one like it--when I first found the wood for the back and sides, even Eric Devine remarked on what a beautiful set it is). And when Gordon shipped it to me, he told me before I received it that he usually doesn't comment on a uke before the buyer receives it, but that in this case, he couldn't help it, and putting aside the obvious physical beauty, described the sound as "magnificent" and called the uke "a cannon" with a "broad spectrum" that will only get better and better.

The uke is in perfect condition, and simply put, it is an heirloom. I am selling it because I need the money for some pressing business, but I can't let this go without someone paying fair value for it. The uke cost $2200 plus $60 shipping/insurance. I will sell it shipped and insured for $2000. Because it is Brazilian Rosewood, I can only sell in the CONUS.

Give this ukulele the great home it richly deserves.

myamoe1.jpgmyamoe2.jpgmyamoe3.jpgmyamoe4.jpg

Mya Moe has been sold--Pepe still available

I am also considering selling this Pepe Romero Brazilian Rosewood/Spruce top tenor instead. Here is my review:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...omero-Brazilian-Rosewood-and-Spruce-top-Tenor

and here is a photo

peper1.jpg

Last edited:
It's a real beauty. It couldn't however be shipped outside CONUS. I have to source for East Indian Rosewood instead of Brazilian one. It'd sure be grabbed up very soon. Have read your review and video, thanks, Steve. :D

Steve, it's stunning mate. All the best with the sale. I don't believe it will hang around long. That rosewood is incredible!

The Pepe is an unbelievable uke, but now that I have 2 brazilian rosewood ukes and have financial needs, I have to sell one of them. I have had the Pepe for far less time, and am starting to wonder if I should sell that one instead of the Mya Moe, although I would love to keep them both.

Definitely keep the Pepe! Although, this is a nice looking uke....

They are both nice but I think (after owning both) the Pepe has a little more sound to offer and seems to have a greater range of sound as well.
The Mya Moe is nice but it almost seems overbuilt compared to the Pepe. Just my 2 cents.

If I liked the ukuleles both the same then I'd sell the one where my absolute loss was the least - my guess is that the market is bigger for the Mya-Moe than for the Pepe Romero. I'm operating under the assumption that the sale of either would cover my expenses (the "pressing business"). If they don't I would sell the one that will cover the expenses - after all bills have to be paid. But, by golly, I would have a hard time selling this Mya-Moe.

If I liked the ukuleles both the same then I'd sell the one where my absolute loss was the least - my guess is that the market is bigger for the Mya-Moe than for the Pepe Romero. I'm operating under the assumption that the sale of either would cover my expenses (the "pressing business"). If they don't I would sell the one that will cover the expenses - after all bills have to be paid. But, by golly, I would have a hard time selling this Mya-Moe.

I think the opposite as there are many Mya Moe owners but most don't get the wood upgrades so it's a little pricey for the average Mya Moe fan. Pepe has made less than 20? Even though it's a slightly higher price point, people who want want will spend the money.

I think the opposite as there are many Mya Moe owners but most don't get the wood upgrades so it's a little pricey for the average Mya Moe fan. Pepe has made less than 20? Even though it's a slightly higher price point, people who want want will spend the money.

Yeah, I'm with you, but the market is made by both the supply and the demand - and the demand seems larger for the Mya-Moe based on the total number of ukulele sold by the maker. And, while this ukulele is a more expensive than the average Mya-Moe, I suspect that Mya-Moe has sold more ukulele in this price range than Pepe Romero has sold in this price range, in absolute numbers. I also suspect that the queue is much larger for a Mya-Moe than it is for a Pepe as well, and it may be larger even at the +$2,000 range.

Then again, I'm in Denver, which, according to the Mya-Moe Map has more ukulele in the immediate proximity than most areas - so I might be a bit biased.

it's a tough choice--I love both ukes. The sound is awesome on both. I might favor the mya moe a little more because of the radius fretboard, which feels really good in my hands, but that's a pretty minor distinction.

Yeah, I'm with you, but the market is made by both the supply and the demand - and the demand seems larger for the Mya-Moe based on the total number of ukulele sold by the maker. And, while this ukulele is a more expensive than the average Mya-Moe, I suspect that Mya-Moe has sold more ukulele in this price range than Pepe Romero has sold in this price range, in absolute numbers. I also suspect that the queue is much larger for a Mya-Moe than it is for a Pepe as well, and it may be larger even at the +$2,000 range.

Then again, I'm in Denver, which, according to the Mya-Moe Map has more ukulele in the immediate proximity than most areas - so I might be a bit biased.

I agree with you, the market for a Mya-moe is larger. As for it being pricey for a mya-moe fan, I think alot of people do get the wood upgrades and when you add purfling/slotheads/pegheds/rosettes (dont see many without the rosettes/purfling etc) you're in that ball park anyways. I've heard great things about Pepe romero ukulele's but hes not tried and tested to the same degree IMHO.... Just my :2cents:

Really gorgeous uke - does it have the standard 1 and 3/8 or wider 1 and 1/2 nut width?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom