New Uku!!!!!!!!!!

roxhum

Reaction score
I haven't been this excited over a new uke in quiet a while. I have been waiting and waiting for a custom made uke and what I have discovered I am not good at waiting...

I looked at this uke forever. Almost bought it. Didn't buy it.
BOUGHT IT!!!

IMG_0834.jpg

I purchased the Willie Wixom Mango Long Neck Soprano that was on his website. Willie thinned the neck down for me before shipping it. It is strung in low g.

Attachments

• IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
I haven't been this excited over a new uke in quiet a while. I have been waiting and waiting for a custom made uke and what I have discovered I am not good at waiting...

I looked at this uke forever. Almost bought it. Didn't buy it.
BOUGHT IT!!!

View attachment 38118

Drum roll please

beautiful! congrats, roxanne

Darn it, I was looking at that one and you beat me to it!

Looks beautiful, congrats! :)

SWEET!!!!!!! Congratulations

I studied that uke for a long time before ultimately deciding to order a custom. It is gorgeous!
(Guess now I'll have to study that mighty pretty koa tenor . . .)

Will you let us know how your new baby sounds, please?

Last edited:
Wow! I was drooling over the uke for the past month or so but did not have enough funds at the time... It is really beautiful! Congratulations! :eek:

Darn it, I was looking at that one and you beat me to it!

Looks beautiful, congrats! :)

Are you kidding? I kept hoping someone would buy it since I need another ukulele like I need a hole in my head. I couldn't resist the temptation any longer.

Woozer. Congrats! Thanks for the pics. I'm sure the two of you will make much beautiful music togehter.

I studied that uke for a long time before ultimately deciding to order a custom. It is gorgeous!
(Guess now I'll have to study that mighty pretty koa tenor . . .)

Will you let us know how your new baby sounds, please?

It is a bit premature to completely assess since I have only played it for an hour or so. It is my first time to play a low g and Willie has thicker gauge strings on it then I have ever played. That said, it is very mellow. Definitely more mellow than any Mahagony I have played. Maybe equal to Koa in mellowness but also different. Not as complex as the kamaka but I like the way it sounds. Playability is good, accept for those heavy gauge strings but I am leaving them on for now. The sound is very balanced with medium loudness, which would be my preference over loud ukuleles.

Wow! I was drooling over the uke for the past month or so but did not have enough funds at the time... It is really beautiful! Congratulations! :eek:

I didn't have the funds either and ended up selling a uku so I could afford this one.

It is a bit premature to completely assess since I have only played it for an hour or so. It is my first time to play a low g and Willie has thicker gauge strings on it then I have ever played. That said, it is very mellow. Definitely more mellow than any Mahagony I have played. Maybe equal to Koa in mellowness but also different. Not as complex as the kamaka but I like the way it sounds. Playability is good, accept for those heavy gauge strings but I am leaving them on for now. The sound is very balanced with medium loudness, which would be my preference over loud ukuleles.

Sounds ideal for me, too. I've ordered a mango concert from Willie and I have high hopes that it will sound much like you describe here.
Congrats!

Sweeeet! I like that case, too. Case options for longneck sopranos are pretty sparse (and expensive). I have a Fremont and a Ko'Olau for my Kiwaya and KoAloha longnecks - they're great cases but they are expensive and heavy. I like that idea of just putting a "pillow" around the inside of a lightweight concert case!

John

Sweeeet! I like that case, too. Case options for longneck sopranos are pretty sparse (and expensive). I have a Fremont and a Ko'Olau for my Kiwaya and KoAloha longnecks - they're great cases but they are expensive and heavy. I like that idea of just putting a "pillow" around the inside of a lightweight concert case!

John

Oh yeah, I was thrilled with the case. I actually had some ugly foam I was going to use and was pleased when it came with the pillow around the body. I am digging the long neck soprano. I never would have ordered one but it was what he had on his website and it is nice.

Sounds ideal for me, too. I've ordered a mango concert from Willie and I have high hopes that it will sound much like you describe here.
Congrats!

Oh I am sure you will be happy with yours. They are getting great reviews and I am very pleased with mine. And it looks so darn good!!! Very different from my other ukes.

This is great news! It is gorgeous, indeed, and you're lucky to have a Wixom. What a nice addition to your instrument family.

I love my Wixom spalted-mango soprano. It has Fremont Blacklines and re-entrant tuning, which I like very much. Do write more about the low-g sound on a soprano.
Plus, I'd love to know (from anyone) how the sound compares to other mango ukes. Does the spalting do anything to the sound, or is it all in the build?

Congratulations! Your new Willie Wixom is beautiful! I also bought a pre-made Wixom off the website (a koa tenor) and I hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine.

Aloha Roxhum,
Congrats on your new Wixom. Stan told me you bought that uke as he also was debating on whether to buy it or not for quite a while.
My Wixom custom tenor is being born right now and I'm very excited.
Have fun and enjoy,............................BO........................

Top Bottom