PDA

View Full Version : What webcam do you use ?

The Big Kahuna
05-22-2012, 10:26 AM
I'm toying with the idea of buying a Microsoft H5D-00003 Lifecam Cinema HD Webcam. I only need 720p, and I'm not remotely interested in taking the frame rate hit from 1080p. I just wondered what you folks used for recording your videos.

chris667
05-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Webcams are all a bit rubbish.

How about a cheap one, and a good microphone? I have a Blue Snowball, although I think if I had known I would have bought a Zoom h1.

The Big Kahuna
05-22-2012, 10:44 AM
I have a reasonable mic' already. Never having had much use for a webcam, I'm still using a piece of junk Logitech that struggles to maintain 10 fps at 640 x 480. I cant complain, I won it in an Intel partner competition, so it didn't cost me anything. I just need to persuade the wife that I need it to make Uke' videos and that it has nothing whatsoever to so with cybersex. Then again, if you'd ever seen my face, there'd be zero suspicion that it was for the latter.

ukuleledaveey
05-22-2012, 10:44 AM
i bought a logitech c310 its not bad and i use a samson cu1 mic, but at the weekend i got a kodak playtouch which is excellent it has a external mic jack and takes upto a 32gig memory card, they are a bargin at pc world/currys at the mo, if your local store is outta stock order it to be delivered, its a nice piece of kit :)

The Big Kahuna
05-22-2012, 10:46 AM
I just need to persuade the wife that I need it to make Uke' videos and that it has nothing whatsoever to so with cybersex.

kodak playtouch

I see a problem right there to be honest...

The Big Kahuna
05-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Go ahead. Touch it. You know you want to

See what I mean ?

The Ukelites
05-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Webcams are all a bit rubbish.

How about a cheap one, and a good microphone? I have a Blue Snowball, although I think if I had known I would have bought a Zoom h1.

We also use the zoom. Not a brilliant picture, needs a lot of light indoors. But the sound's good. And sound matters!

The Big Kahuna
05-22-2012, 10:49 AM
the sound's good. And sound matters!

When you play as badly as I do, the absence of sound is the deciding factor.

ukuleledaveey
05-22-2012, 11:49 AM
the play touch is a pocket camcorder lol :) and you can make a good little external mic rig for under a tenner, a nice little sony clone stereo condenser mic plugs in on top
i only got mine on saturday, my latest entry for the seasons comp i used the play touch the song and singing is pooh but the results from the pocket camcorder are pretty good, just saves lugging the lap top and usb mic around, this set up fits in my pocket :)

OldePhart
05-22-2012, 01:04 PM
I try to avoid using my webcam but sometimes it is more convenient than setting up the Flip HD. Also, the Flip HD doesn't have any live out so I use the web cam when I need to see what I'm recording as I'm recording it.

I have a Microsoft Lifecam but I don't remember which model. I think it's limited to 720p - at least, I've never used it above that if it's capable of more.

Some tricks to getting the best performance out of web cams - use the "tools" panel to set and lock the focus and brightness and to manually adjust the audio gain. If you use the AGC and try to play a uke it will sound horrible - lot's of background noise and then distortion on the attack of the strums because the AGC is too slow to keep the sharp attack of the strum from overdriving.

John

dabid
05-22-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm toying with the idea of buying a Microsoft H5D-00003 Lifecam Cinema HD Webcam. I only need 720p, and I'm not remotely interested in taking the frame rate hit from 1080p. I just wondered what you folks used for recording your videos.

thats the exact same cam i use and it records very nicely. even the mic on the cam is good but i use my own condenser mic

heres what it comes out looking like

http://youtu.be/mlODkpgbBZM?hd=1

coolkayaker1
05-22-2012, 05:20 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Widescreen-Calling-Recording-960-000764/dp/B006JH8T3S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1337742975&sr=8-3

Plenty of youtube videos about this $80 camera (just search it). In a word, including for sound, it's amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFKrP6_93Dk&feature=related

The Big Kahuna
05-24-2012, 12:19 AM
i got a kodak playtouch which is excellent it has a external mic jack and takes upto a 32gig memory card, they are a bargin at pc world/currys at the mo, if your local store is outta stock order it to be delivered, its a nice piece of kit :)

I took the Microsoft Webcam back due to MS getting up to their usual bullsh*t tricks and misrepresenting their products. They state (or at least try their hardest to suggest) they are capable of 30fps at 720p. In actual fact, they are capped at 15fps, regardless of the hardware in your PC. The only way to get them to record at 30fps is by uninstalling the MS software and drivers, finding an mjpeg codec and using something such as VirtualDub to record. This isn't what I expect from a product.

I bought the Kodak PlayTouch that Davey mentioned above for 49 and it rocks. 720p at 30 or 60fps or 1080p at 30fps (although 1080 seems to use less of the sensor and therefore results in a "zoomed-in" video). I popped a spare 8Gb SDHC card in, stuck it on a tripod and the results are amazing. Not only that, but the sound from the built in mic' is great. Also, it is one of the few pocket camcorders that has an input for an external stereo mic!

Get one. Now.

And Davey, I'll buy you a beer if I ever meet you.

ukuleledaveey
05-24-2012, 12:32 AM
I took the Microsoft Webcam back due to MS getting up to their usual bullsh*t tricks and misrepresenting their products. They state (or at least try their hardest to suggest) they are capable of 30fps at 720p. In actual fact, they are capped at 15fps, regardless of the hardware in your PC. The only way to get them to record at 30fps is by uninstalling the MS software and drivers, finding an mjpeg codec and using something such as VirtualDub to record. This isn't what I expect from a product.

I bought the Kodak PlayTouch that Davey mentioned above for 49 and it rocks. 720p at 30 or 60fps or 1080p at 30fps (although 1080 seems to use less of the sensor and therefore results in a "zoomed-in" video). I popped a spare 8Gb SDHC card in, stuck it on a tripod and the results are amazing. Not only that, but the sound from the built in mic' is great. Also, it is one of the few pocket camcorders that has an input for an external stereo mic!

Get one. Now.

And Davey, I'll buy you a beer if I ever meet you.
Hi mate wow i actually did something usefull :) im chuffed and glad you like it, i will sort out a great youtuber link for you a bloke who knows all the tech side of things as you can update the frimware and apparently enhances it a bit :) also there is a great little external mic rig you cam make for under a tenner, i did it and it fits in your pocket, i will go back and try to find the links for the parts so if you wanna get them the option is there.
I was advised not to bother with microsoft stuff, i only bought a logitech hd cam about a month ago, but the kodak gives you so much portability, without having to use the lap top.
No worries about the beer just glad to of been some help :)

ukuleledaveey
05-24-2012, 12:37 AM
here is a link to the parts for a nifty little external mic for the kodak play touch
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221024281767?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261010092007?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001IAFNSA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

put these three bits together and a rather good little stereo mic set up and cheap as chips !

And here is a link to a chap who does reviews and software support and all issues, he is really helpful, this is where i got the mic rig from :http://www.youtube.com/user/chrisc74?feature=watch

The Big Kahuna
05-24-2012, 12:41 AM
Cheers pal. The first thing I did after getting it out of the box was upgrade the firmware to 1.19

I spend most days updating firmware in servers and pc's anyway, it gets to be a habit.

The Big Kahuna
05-24-2012, 12:43 AM
The Sony is already a stereo mic though isn't it ? Not sure what's gained by plugging it into the adapter and adding the extra mic.

ukuleledaveey
05-24-2012, 12:47 AM
thats good about the firmware lol im a bit of a techno phobe, yeah the sony clone is a stero mic yeah i dont know why he did it lol i think it is just meant to improve it :) he does a lot of music so i kinda just too his word, but yeah the sony works well on its own to, especially as there is a mic gain level on the play touch, glad you like it, i ummed and errred about getting one, but it seemed the best one to suit my needs, there is not many outthere with external mic jack, and the sound wuality is great if you plug headphones in to, glad you like it :)

The Big Kahuna
05-24-2012, 01:01 AM
I figured I ought to get something better for videoing my dogs as well. The one vid' I have (when George was a puppy) was taken on my Kodak z7950 bridge camera, before I bought a DSLR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odorByedInA

I've had about 85,000 hits and earned ten quid from Adsense. Another fifty quid and they'll pay out ;)

Strangely, the webcam on my Acer laptop with 20" 1080p screen and BluRay will record video at 30fps. So bollocks to Microsoft (and, as a Microsoft Partner, I've said this a lot).

ukuleledaveey
05-24-2012, 01:10 AM
The dogs are very cute, i love dogs, i miss having one, we had them all the time when i was growing up.
I have a acer to :) i got a aspire 5742 last feb, i love it, although i barely touch what it can do lol. I bought a samson usb mic, which is pretty good has software for mixing music etc, but it looks to much like the control panel of the star ship enterprise for me,thinking of getting a 3.5mm jack converter to usb so i can use that mic on the play touch :)
Is the advert thing on youtube worth considering, i dont really understand it all, i guess you need a lot of hits to make money, ive only had about 1,500 on my page which is way more than i could of ever imagined lol

The Big Kahuna
05-24-2012, 01:18 AM
Out of 85,000 views on the above video, only enough people have clicked the adverts to generate ten quid. Saying that, I didn't "Monetize" it until it had about 55,000 hits. It's a bit of a rpioff though, as Google don't pay out until you've earned 60, which means that they're getting revenue for the ads even though you aren't. It's a bit of fun though.

The Big Kahuna
05-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Quick 1080p test with the Kodak earlier. I dropped the bitrate by 50% to reduce my upload size, so the quality isn't totally representative of what you can expect from the camera, but even at this quality it's incredible for a 49 ($ 70) camera. Best viewed at 1080p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCT3x8dXCes&list=UUYMJdsYi1VcC0hYRKBcrwzQ& index=1&feature=plcp

Tootler
05-24-2012, 12:59 PM
I have a Panasonic SDR-S26 camcorder. Not HD, but gives pretty good pictures, certainly good enough for You Tube or for videos of my granddaughter. It also has a pretty good built in stereo condenser mic, though I also record audio simultaneously with an Edirol R09 digital recorder.

nscafe
05-24-2012, 01:37 PM
I use the Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam-communications/webcams/devices/6333). I highly recommend this webcam for doing webcammy types of things (Skype and such).

For YouTube videos, I would recommend something like a Flip HD camcorder over a webcam, but the webcam I have does a decent job too.