Koaloha - which bridge is the best/preferred?

bearbike137

Reaction score
It appears that Koaloha is on the fourth (fifth?) iteration of the bridge on their tenor ukes (big crown, small crown, bowtie, straight with name). I know there was some issues with the large crown bridge lifting, but is one of these versions emerging as "preferred" from either a tone or collectability standpoint? Is one a "least preferred" version? Thanks!

I've played most styles, but I prefer the straight with name version. I don't notice a difference in play-ability, but I find Koalohas to be overly branded, especially with the crown bridge. I prefer the straight bridge as its a little more subtle. My tenor Sceptre is noticeable enough as it is.

I like the look of the crown bridge the best but when I spoke with Koaloha, they said it had issues of coming off. With that in mind, I like the most recent with the Koaloha name embossed.

Hmmmm...the best KoALoha bridge? I would have to say the one attached to a longneck soprano ukulele...

John

I like the crown best, and it seems to be a love it or hate it version for people, though I'd argue for now anyway it is the most collectible since they haven't made it in a while. I never cared for the bowtie bridge so I'd consider the new one with the name on it an improvement on that, although it kinda looks like the Kamaka one -- nothing wrong with that except it is less unique looking than the crown or bowtie.

I like the bowtie the best. But I was in the market too late for that version. So, I've got the new one (straight with name). It looks fine to me though.

I now have the current straight one with the name. I like the current one.

I like the bowtie. Somehow the name one seems like overbranding. By the headstock, there's no mistaking who made it.

I wish I had the version with the name on it. My concert uke doesn't have much room for strings in the bridge, and if you don't want the C string knot to stick out, you'll be very very very limited in your string choices. I emailed a couple times to ask if it was possible to make that hole deeper, is there room in there to dig? But I never got a reply. It's been a few weeks. That and the saddle is so stuck that two people with pliers only manages to flex the top of the body. :(

Don't get me wrong, I play the hell out of this uke and love it to bits. I just wish I could adjust the action, and that the C string fit in the bridge.

IMG_0404.jpg

Top Bottom