For an Em, do you use fingers 1,2,3 or 2,3,4? (personal preference)

consitter

Reaction score
For an E minor chord, what is your choice of fingering, using 1,2,3 or 2,3,4 or does it matter to you? This is your personal preference only and why. Thanks.

Scott

1, 2, 3 usually, cause I can reach around with my thumb to get the fourth fret on the G string.... bad guitar habit that sounds pretty nice when you're strung with a low G......

1,2,3 just because that's the way I learned it 50 years ago! :)

keep uke'in',

When I play it open I usually use fingers 1,2,3 and leave the fourth string open. When I barre it I use the index finger to barre, the next finger on the second string, and then ring finger barring strings 3 and 4. Whether I play open or barre depends on what other chords I'm playing around it.

John

I also like barring the 7th fret with your index and playing the 9th fret on the G string with your ring finger (9,7,7,7)..... like Sailing Uke said, just as long as you're playing the notes E,G and B, you can pretty much play them anywhere on the fret board - just find a fingering that sounds good and is comfortable to play.....

This site helps: http://ukulelehelper.com/

Almost exclusively 1-2-3. The only exception being when moving from G to Em, in which case then I keep the G chord, but reach with the pinkie for the 4th fret on the C:

From 2320 to keeping 2320 but using the pinkie for 2340

Depends on the next note to happen. If it's an F or A especially coming up, I use 2 3 4.

Almost exclusively 1-2-3. The only exception being when moving from G to Em, in which case then I keep the G chord, but reach with the pinkie for the 4th fret on the C:

From 2320 to keeping 2320 but using the pinkie for 2340

This is exactly what I was going to say.

That is what I do as well.

Depends on the next note to happen. If it's an F or A especially coming up, I use 2 3 4.
Me too. I've found it's not an entirely helpful habit, but there it is.

As a pianist/accordionist, I number my fingers with the thumb as 1, index as 2, etc. So playing Em as 1, 2, 3 is pretty much impossible. :)

But if you're numbering starting with the index finger, then I guess I do use 1, 2, 3. Index, middle, ring.

JJ

I usually play it 1 2 3 but recently I've been experiementing with a lot of different fingerings, based on the chord before or after. Like PoiDog, if there is a G involved I've been holding it and just adding a finger at the 4th fret. Helpful in some songs I think.

Top Bottom