cool tattoo got me wondering if any of you have a ukulele for your tattoos

MGM

Reaction score
A customer came in with a great tattoo of a microphone i was wondering if any of you had ukulele themed tattoos and if you could post them

photobucket-16920-1337732434701.jpg

I have a cousin who got an ukulele tattooed on her upper arm. I hadn't seen her in a few years and when I saw it I asked if it was a uke. She was very suprised and very happy because most people ask her if it is a bass lol.

I've considered many (MANY!) tattoos in my time. Everything from the sort of tribal band every haole seems to have, to my alma mater's logo (Go Bears!), to the crests from the towns from which my parents were born.

I have even considered a uke tattoo (which would be kickass cool, by the way). But whenever I get past the point of thought, I always come to the same place: one day I'll be 70 (knock on wood), and may look like a complete and total tool with tattoos. Especially those tribal bands! (nothing is more pathetic than a haole boy with a tribal band).

So, instead, I imagine stickers, posters, artwork, etc. Maybe one day I'll open a cafe press shop and sell them. But for now, nothing. Particularly not body art.

I was booked in for later this year had to wait a year was going to get a Hawaiian girl with a uke on my fore arm, but i have to cancel it now due to lack of funds, had to use my savings else where, im gutted, but one day i will get it done, was thinking as way of compensation i may get the mighty uke logo done should be fairly cheap just some thick dark lines :(

I have even considered a uke tattoo (which would be kickass cool, by the way). But whenever I get past the point of thought, I always come to the same place: one day I'll be 70 (knock on wood), and may look like a complete and total tool with tattoos.

Same here. I figure I managed to survive the punk-rock 1970s and early 1980s without any body art, why start now?

I've been very, very tempted to get the musical notation for the last couple measures of "I'll See You in My Dreams" as tattooed band around my ankle. It was one of the first songs I learned on uke. Two things always stop me: the commitment, and the cost. Money I could be spending on uke stuff!

two of you mention cost. a nice ukulele is 2k. how much is a single tattoo? $500?

two of you mention cost. a nice ukulele is 2k. how much is a single tattoo? $500?
yeah right !!!! if you want your knuckle done :)
maybe different costings around the world, you have to remember here in the uk we pay more for everything,remember it is not great britian, it is rip off britain :)
The trouble is bloody programmes like L A Ink, put tattooing in the main stream and hence prices shot up and dodgie tattooists opened up etc etc, my piece was quoted at £80 per hour for 12 hours, I had some tattoo's done in Australia when i lived there and i paid a fixed price and the tattooist was a amazing artist.

Also why would some people want to spend 2000 on a uke, especially when just begining to play, its like passing your driving test and getting a Ferrari, no need unless you can handle it, and i aint there yet on the playing front :)
I have my parents portraits on my arm as they died within 4 weeks of each other, i appreciate some people dont like tatts, but there are people who do, i didnt do it for art sake or to look cool i did it simply for me and i wanted it done, i couldnt give a flyin F*** if people like my tatts or not, i dont care , some people rush into it, and do it all for the wrong reasons, it took me till i was 39 to get my first tattoo and i hope to have many more thats just me and my taste . sermon finished :)

Last edited:
I'm getting a hula girl playing a ukulele on the outside of my forearm soon... I'm positioning it so that when I play, she dances.

My wife wants me to get one that says "DNR" for "do not resuscitate"

Classic.

My students believe I have the Batman symbol spanning my chest -- a kind of cautionary tale. Inner forearm uke tattoo a la Zach Condon's French horn would be sweet, though.

I had a Celtic tat done by Micky Sharpz about 25 years ago and the tat in the pic below done on Kauai when I was there for a month over the Millennium (the store was just behind Kintaro's, for anyone who knows the island). It took nearly 5 hours including cigarette and beer breaks and the guy even gave me a Steve Vai CD!

When I go back later in the year I'll be looking to add to it and also get a Honu tattoo on the inside of my forearm.

213_13298430515_662185515_1010825_3626_n.jpg

I've considered many (MANY!) tattoos in my time. Everything from the sort of tribal band every haole seems to have, to my alma mater's logo (Go Bears!), to the crests from the towns from which my parents were born.....

Hmm... a tattoo of Oski holding a uke ...could be quite cool!

Last edited:
I disagree. A "nice" uke can be far less than two grand. At that price you are getting into high-end pro ukes.

On a trip to Japan in 2004 I almost went to an irezumi artist to have some cherry blossoms inked onto my back but thought better of it. I would have to go back for several sessions over the course of months or even years (too much $$$). Plus I was there for martial arts and was taking a lot of falls and working out getting covered with sweat and dirt and that wouldn't have been a good idea. The last problem is body hair... it would cover the ink anyway lol.

I've considered many (MANY!) tattoos in my time. Everything from the sort of tribal band every haole seems to have, to my alma mater's logo (Go Bears!), to the crests from the towns from which my parents were born.

I have even considered a uke tattoo (which would be kickass cool, by the way). But whenever I get past the point of thought, I always come to the same place: one day I'll be 70 (knock on wood), and may look like a complete and total tool with tattoos. Especially those tribal bands! (nothing is more pathetic than a haole boy with a tribal band).

So, instead, I imagine stickers, posters, artwork, etc. Maybe one day I'll open a cafe press shop and sell them. But for now, nothing. Particularly not body art.

When I was 18, I told my older and wiser sister that I wanted a tattoo. She told me that when I got old and flabby that it would look funny. Now that I'm 62 and 270 pounds, I called her and asked if I was old and flabby enough yet.

Thought about tats for a long time, just can't think of anything I would want to wear forever.

My ink is "Me". I have in the works a "SAC" patch (Strategic Air Command) because SAC was a huge part of my Air Force life, being in a unit that won the "Best In SAC" award for 3 consecutive years of the 4 years I was part of the 2nd Bomb Wing, and I am a patch holding receipent of that honor, and proud of it. SAC is no longer in exsitance, and I want to honor it, and my time in it with ink. I also have plans to have a Uke related ink in my future, I just have been tossing ideas for a design around in my head, and haven't reached a design yet for it.

Last edited:

That may be the case, I don't know. But you can always sell a $2000 ukulele. You're stuck with the tatoo, no matter how much it costs.

That may be the case, I don't know. But you can always sell a $2000 ukulele. You're stuck with the tatoo, no matter how much it costs.

Not to mention that getting it removed, should you decide it's not for you, will cost twice as much.

A few years back I was considering a small (about 2x2") tattoo relating to a place that was meaningful at the time and that I thought would always be meaningful. Most price quotes I got from known artists were in the $500-$700 range. A very young, unknown artist gave me the lowest quote - $375. I decided to pass.

Best decision ever - fast forward to now. Had I gone through with it, right about now I'd be getting it removed, as the place in question is now associated with an unpleasant memory that I never could have anticipated.

Not sure where your getting your ink. my last one just a month or so ago is about 4"X6" full color, and it was $250, plus I gave him a $50 tip. He isn't world reknown, but does work in a reputable local tattoo shop near me. Took him about 3 hours, and from what I have heard on average $90 an hour is about normal today.

Top Bottom