Comparing the Worth Clears with Soutcoast Mediums on my Kamaka tenor

bearbike137

Reaction score
Comparing the Worth Clears with Southcoast Mediums on my Kamaka tenor (high G)

I spent the last couple of days comparing the Worth Clears with the Southcoast medium strings on my Kamaka HF-3 tenor. Both sets are high G with no wound strings. Frankly, both strings are great – it really comes down to individual preferences between these two.

I didn’t notice any difference in sustain or clarity or intonation. The strings are similar in tone, however the Worth Clears are a bit brighter and louder. The Southcoast provide a noticeably better balanced and sweeter tone. One thing I like about the SC strings is that they reduced the percussive quality of my Kamaka a bit – particularly on the open E string (which seems to be the resonant frequency of the Kamaka). I thought the Worths sounded a bit better on the higher frets, but I think that has more to do with them being generally louder.

Overall, the Southcoast strings felt a bit softer and had a slightly less punchy attack than the Worths. This seemed to give the Worths a bit of an edge in strumming, however I might give the slightest edge to the Southcoast in the fingerstyle department due to the better balance and sweetness. That all said, the Worth C string is noticeably floppier/plunkier than the Southcoast C string (more on that below).

If I had to choose one set over the other, I think I would go with Southcoast because the Worth’s C string is just a bit too weak for my taste. However, if you allow me to mix sets – I would choose the Worth Clears with an Aquila C string over the Southcoast strings mostly due to the volume difference. I tried the Southcoast C string with the Worth Clears, but the balance wasn’t right. While the Southcoast C string's clarity and sustain was better – it sounded a bit too soft and quiet when used with the Worths (however it was still better than the Worth C string in my opinion).

Anyway, YMMV, as this was my experience with my ears on my uke. I only share this in the attempt to be helpful. I plan to try the Ko’olau Alohi strings next.

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks for the comparo. :)

The OP forgot to mention that both sets were high G, no wound strings. That has now been added.

Top Bottom