"There's many a good tune played on an old ukulele!" Discuss....... :D

I play songs from this book:
smiths.jpg

on this S.S. Stewart:
ss1.jpg

Both are from around 1925. They just go together like milk and cookies!

I found original sheet music for "When You Wish Upon A Star" for ukulele on eBay. I don't have the vocal range of Cliff "Ukulele Ike" Edwards (Jiminy Cricket), but I like the way that song sounds on an ukulele.

go find eugene's channel, and then watch it for hours!

I found original sheet music for "When You Wish Upon A Star" for ukulele on eBay. I don't have the vocal range of Cliff "Ukulele Ike" Edwards (Jiminy Cricket), but I like the way that song sounds on an ukulele.
Oh, beautiful - I love Cliff Edwards' voice.....

The Irving Berlin list, alone, is incredible. What about Gus Kahn. Carmichael. Lots of wonderful old tunes.
Yes, that's all my favourite stuff.... one of my favourite songs is "Stardust".... I wouldn't know how to start that on a uke - so many jazzy chords - I've got an "easy" piano version...... hmmmm.... set me thinking...:D

I'm sure I can depend on you good souls to deliver?!!!!

A member of our Uke group has her grandfather's banjo uke, 20s vintage. Still had 3 of it's original strings. New set of strings and it sounds great.

njukeman,

Just bought a copy of the Smith book based on your recommendation. Can you find audio versions of any of the songs just to see how they go with the chords in the book?

njukeman,

Just bought a copy of the Smith book based on your recommendation. Can you find audio versions of any of the songs just to see how they go with the chords in the book?

I have not as of yet. Still looking though. There are a few songs on youtube with the same title but not the same song. All of the songs are pretty simple three chrod songs. Here's a partial list of them:
Auld Lang Syne Parody
My Ukulele Queen
Nursery Rhymes of 1923
The lone Fish ball
Whoa Mule Whoa
My Crossed Eyed Girl
Oh, There Was an Old Geezer
The Rustic Beauty
http://vintage-recordings.com/index.shtml might have some of them but you'd have to buy the cd's. If you find any once you get the book, let me know! It's a fun little book.

I will post this anywhere and everywhere. When I first dusted off the ukulele I had been given 20 years ago, I had no desire to play "Hey Soul Sister". I sent this fellow, Ian Chadwick, something like 14 bucks, and he sent me a disc with something like 4000 songs on it- ought to keep me busy learning vintage Uke tunes for the rest of my life. Money well spent.
Now my four 1920s Banjo Ukes and my 1940 Martin can play something they are more accustomed to.

I will post this anywhere and everywhere. When I first dusted off the ukulele I had been given 20 years ago, I had no desire to play "Hey Soul Sister". I sent this fellow, Ian Chadwick, something like 14 bucks, and he sent me a disc with something like 4000 songs on it- ought to keep me busy learning vintage Uke tunes for the rest of my life. Money well spent.
Now my four 1920s Banjo Ukes and my 1940 Martin can play something they are more accustomed to.
Just had a quick look - I love this old music, what a superb resource! I think I'll be buying into that, thanks so much, TCK! :D

I played my version of the lead in to 5'2" on a very old banjolele once. It sounded kinda cool.

Wow TCK, that's an incredible resource! Thank you for sharing! I'm going to order one for myself!

Top Bottom