For Amelia

erich@muttcrew.net

Reaction score
This is our latest build, a uke we made for my niece Amelia. It's actually been on the bench for quite some time - long story.

The design is based on guitar elements, including the bridge shape, faux bridge pins, faux trussrod cover, geared tuners....

Scale length: 340 mm
Top: German spruce
Rosette: Wenge/mahongany
Back/sides: Figured maple
Binding: Wenge
End graft: Wenge/mahogany
Neck: Mahogany
Heel tip: IRW
Peghead veneer: Lauro Preto
Faux trussrod cover and other appointments: Macassar ebony/mahogany
Nut: Bone
Fretboard: IRW
Bridge: IRW
Saddle: Bone
Faux bridge pins: IRW with pearl dots

P1020427_sm.jpg
P1020428_sm.jpg
P1020436_sm.jpg
P1020431_sm.jpg
P1020433_sm.jpg

Lucky Amelia!

Allen, there were a few reasons for the faux pins.

One is that I have seen pins pop out and go flying right by a person's eye (my own in one case). Albeit a poorly anchored 1A string can also pop through the pin hole under tension, but we've only had that happen once and have since improved our anchoring technique.

Then there's the difference in mass. The bridge is made of super lightweight rosewood - despite the slightly increased size it came to only about 6 grams. Our lightest set of rosewood pins would add a little over 3 grams, compared to the small pin heads which were only 0.5 grams. I know, I know - you remove the pinholes, but I'm still pretty sure we came out lighter this way.

And finally, the beads we used here are slightly smaller than actual pin heads, which means it looks a little less crowded this way.

That makes sense. Thanks.

For what it's worth, un-slotted bridge pins are what I use and never have issue with them. Quite difficult to find from most regular suppliers. I buy them in by the gross from Michael Gurian.

Unslotted pins are a good idea, thanks. I'll have to see where I can find some. The ones we've found in shops (real or online) have always been slotted - we've just turned them around so that the slot is turned away from the pin.

BTW, we placed the faux pin heads so that you can still drill/ream for standard pins in the same position - just in case :)

Top Bottom