lanikai anniversary flame maple tenor

lozarkman

Reaction score
Elderly instruments is offering Lanikai's new anniversary Ukulele all flame maple tenor with hard case and stand for $199.00 with free shipping. looks like a pretty good offer for a very nice tenor uke. Only 300 made for the anniversary offer. Says it is made in Indonesia, but aren't most factory made ukes made outside of the USA? Doesn't say if it is solid or laminate. I would assume laminate? Just so there is no confusion, it is the 40th anniversary of Elderly, not Lanikai, and was commissioned by Elderly for their anniversary. Even though it is laminate, it still looks like a really nice tenor and for the price should be a great value and with a hard case and stand and free shipping. The certificate of authenticity from Stan Werbin is a nice touch as well. Lozark

Last edited:
Looks nice. I would assume that it is laminate since it does not say solid. Also, at that price point with a case and a stand - I would think laminate.

If you look at the photos and the description, it would appear the top and back are solid bookmatched pieces. I suspect they're clearancing them out.

If you look at the photos and the description, it would appear the top and back are solid bookmatched pieces. I suspect they're clearancing them out.

I would be shocked if a $199 uke was solid wood, but anything's possible. Not sure what you're seeing in the photos or the description that make you think solid.

Welcome to the UU. Bookmatched does not mean solid wood. They are not clearancing them out - they were specially made as part of their anniversary celebration.

Someone should call them and ask. Personally, I don't like the appearance of the wood. I'm too narrow minded and think ukes should be koa or mahogany.

Um, I highly doubt it's solid. Aside from the price, the description takes pains to explicitly avoid saying "solid" anywhere. And Elderly tend to identify solids whenever possible.

OK, just called them. The sales guy had to check but you guys are right, it's an all laminate uke.

I have put one on order and should be in my hands by Tuesday. True it is not traditional wood, but I already have a KoAloha koa tenor, so I was looking for something different and less expensive. I am going to make this one my travel or "campfire" ukulele. Also I keep the KoAloha in low G so I will keep this one in high G. I will give a more detailed report once I have it in hand. Unfortunately I don't have a way to post sound files. I have played a number of Lanikai instruments, both solid and laminate and found them to be good. My friend who is a professional string teacher has a Lanikai laminate concert that is a superb instrument.

I have put one on order and should be in my hands by Tuesday. True it is not traditional wood, but I already have a KoAloha koa tenor, so I was looking for something different and less expensive. I am going to make this one my travel or "campfire" ukulele. Also I keep the KoAloha in low G so I will keep this one in high G. I will give a more detailed report once I have it in hand. Unfortunately I don't have a way to post sound files. I have played a number of Lanikai instruments, both solid and laminate and found them to be good. My friend who is a professional string teacher has a Lanikai laminate concert that is a superb instrument.

I'm glad to learn all of this. Mine is coming tomorrow, but I don't really have the uke vocabulary to let me review it.

So has anybody received one yet?
Good, bad, indifferent?

Mine came on Saturday. As I said, I don't have the uke vocab yet. The finish is nice (at least, the finish of #114 is), with attractive spalting - although I had to explain to one person that it wasn't defective. Intonation is excellent all the way up. I would say good, as opposed to indifferent or bad. The case is nice. (damned by faint praise?)

Kathryn

Last edited:
Mine (#89) arrived this afternoon. Fit and finish are perfect on this one. Maple spalting/quilting is very nice. No visible defects internally. All bindings are perfect as are the frets. Tone is brighter than KoAloha koa tenor, but about same volume (both are loud ukes). Strung with Aquila Nylgut (g is gut, not wound). Nice hardshell case and Lanikai stand included. I am well pleased. I think I got more than expected for the money.

Purty! Is it a laminated uke?

Um, I highly doubt it's solid. Aside from the price, the description takes pains to explicitly avoid saying "solid" anywhere. And Elderly tend to identify solids whenever possible.
Looks like they've updated their info. Now it says:

"Flame maple top with flame maple back and maple sides (all laminated), some have some spalting."

But as a general rule of thumb, unless it says "solid" you can assume it's laminate.

For example: "Solid spruce top, mahogany back and sides" tells you the B&S are notsolid.

It does look very nice, though. :)

I got #35 in via fedex yesterday.
It is a graduation gift for my nephew.
Action is low, intonation is okay, frets dressed nicely.
Amazingly quiet and shallow compared to my flea.
I would definitely switch out the aquilas, but since he will probably want low g, I will let him do that.
My only real complaint is the finish.
It's a very flat matte, almost rough.
Plus there are a couple of places on the sides that flat out need sanding.
I will post in the luthier's lounge to get advice on that project.
All in all, worth the $199, but not a uke I will miss when I give it away.

Top Bottom